Inside the 4th Region (1/16/17)
Fourth Region Rankings
1) Bowling Green (15-2) - 1/10 61-41 W at #16 South Warren, 1/13 70-48 W at #5 Warren Central, 1/14 75-58 W Dunbar (at South Warren)
Previous Rank: 1
This Week: 1/17 at Christian County, 1/20 vs. #6 Warren East
The Purples ran their region win streak to 35 in a row in dominating fashion, including polishing off their largest win over Warren Central in 17 years behind an 18-2 second quarter run. They followed that up with a revenge win over Dunbar, the team that eliminated them in the Sweet 16 a year ago. That 17 point win was just another statement that the Purples are nigh-unbeatable by most teams.
2) Franklin-Simpson (13-4) - 1/9 74-44 W #11 Todd County Central, 1/10 65-53 W #8 Monroe County, 1/13 79-57 W at #3 Russellville, 1/14 36-52 L Owensboro Catholic (at South Warren)
Previous Rank: 2
This Week: 1/17 vs. #3 Greenwood, 1/20 vs. #14 Logan County, 1/21 at #8 Barren County
The Wildcats started the week strong, and won in stunningly strong fashion over district rival Russellville, jumping out to a huge lead and never being seriously challenged en route to a 22 point victory. Their week was soured by a loss to third region power Owensboro Catholic, a game marred by atrocious shooting against the Aces zone.
3) Greenwood (11-8) - 1/10 45-63 L at Adair County, 1/13 78-50 W #6 Warren East, 1/14 57-45 W at #15 Allen County-Scottsville
Previous Rank: 4
This Week: 1/17 at #2 Franklin-Simpson, 1/20 at #5 Warren Central, 1/21 at #15 Glasgow
The Gators didn't look good to start the week against Adair, but absolutely throttled Warren East to continue their message to the region that they are for real. The Gators had been swept a season ago by Warren East, and the Raiders likely thought they were coming in to make their own statement. Instead, Greenwood moved to 3-1 in district play, and can put themselves in dominant position for the 2 seed if they can knock off Warren Central this Friday.
4) Russellville (11-6) - 1/12 69-58 W at Muhlenberg County, 1/13 57-79 L #2 Franklin-Simpson, 1/16 78-72 OT W #7 Clinton County (at Monroe County)
Previous Rank: 3
This Week: 1/19 at #9 Monroe County, 1/21 at #16 South Warren
The Panthers were flat embarrassed in a crucial district game against Franklin-Simpson, squandering their home court advantage and allowing Lovan to get loose for 32 points. Russellville's Achilles heel continues to be an over reliance on Pedro Bradshaw, who had 26 of his team's 57 in the loss. The Panthers fell behind 18-3 and 41-13 at the first two quarter poles. A nice bounce-back win over Clinton County on Monday kept them in the All A hunt, and they are the clear favorite for the title.
5) Warren Central (10-6) - 1/13 48-70 L #1 Bowling Green, 1/14 59-77 L Hopkinsville (at South Warren)
Previous Rank: 5
This Week: 1/17 at #16 South Warren, 1/20 vs. #3 Greenwood, 1/21 at Hopkinsville
The Dragons would rather forget this week happened, with an embarrassing loss to Bowling Green followed by a nice effort against Hopkinsville that was doomed by the Tigers shooting 12/25 from three point range. The Dragons are now 1-3 since the start of the New Year, very similar to a January swoon they suffered through last season, and never really fully recovered from. This week holds what is suddenly a keystone district game, when they host Greenwood at Dragon Gym. A year ago they fell to Greenwood at home for the first time in 16 years, squandering a double digit lead in doing so.
6) Warren East (10-5) - 1/10 60-56 W at #9 Barren County, 1/13 50-78 L at #4 Greenwood, 1/14 43-57 L Shelby County (at South Warren)
Previous Rank: 6
This Week: 1/17 at Daviess County, 1/20 at #1 Bowling Green
The Raiders had a lackluster win at Barren County on Tuesday before getting their heads handed to them in the final two games of the week. Leading scorer Trequon Patterson could not get anything going in either of their two losses, leading to their lowest scoring efforts since he joined the team. This week is no easier with dangerous Daviess County hosting East, and then the latest attempt by the Raiders to snap their 43 game losing streak to Bowling Green, a team they haven't beaten in 19 years - and not at Bowling Green in 20.
7) Clinton County (13-6) - 1/10 66-60 W #14 Cumberland County, 1/13 51-39 W at #13 Russell County, 1/16 72-78 L #3 Russellville (at Monroe County)
Previous Rank: 7
This Week: No Games
The Bulldogs held off a surprisingly close challenge from Cumberland County before knocking off rival Russell County on the road, wrapping up the #1 seed in the 16th District, and what basically amounts to a bye to the 4th Region tournament (with apologies to Metcalfe County). Clinton County kept that momentum going with a strong effort against Russellville, but yet again failing to find their way to a title. It's been four years since Clinton County has won the All A 4th Region title.
8) Barren County (7-11) - 1/10 56-60 L #6 Warren East, 1/13 50-49 W #8 Monroe County
Previous Rank: 9
This Week: 1/17 vs. Ohio County, 1/20 at #13 Allen County-Scottsville, 1/21 vs. #2 Franklin-Simpson
The Trojans rebounded from a recent swoon with a strong effort against Warren East before completing a seemingly unlikely sweep of Monroe County to almost certainly give them the 1 seed in the district. Barren County would have to lose out and have Allen County-Scottsville win out to fall into a tiebreaker scenario. Considering that one of those Barren County games is against Glasgow - winless in the district, it seems all but a done deal.
9) Monroe County (10-8) - 1/10 53-65 L at #2 Franklin-Simpson, 1/13 49-50 L at #9 Barren County, 1/14 75-41 W at #17 Metcalfe County
Previous Rank: 8
This Week: 1/19 vs. #4 Russellville
The Falcons squandered yet another game away against Barren County, putting them on the outs for the top seed in the district. They'll now have to contend with a losable game in the district semifinals.
10) Todd County Central (5-10) - 1/9 44-74 L at #2 Franklin-Simpson, 1/13 83-61 W #10 Logan County, 1/16 65-60 OT W #14 Cumberland County (at Monroe County)
Previous Rank: 11
This Week: 1/17 vs. #17 Metcalfe County (at Monroe County)
The Rebels move into the top 10 for the first time ever in the history of this poll. The major culprit was a 22 point beatdown of Logan County, a huge district win for a program that is attempting to regain its stature. They'll continue their pursuit of the All A Region title when they face Metcalfe County, and will almost certainly advance to meet the winner between Russellville and Monroe County.
11) Russell County (3-13) - 1/10 61-70 L at McCreary Central, 1/13 39-51 L #7 Clinton County
Previous Rank: 13
This Week: 1/17 vs. Southwestern, 1/19 at Whitley County, 1/20 at #16 South Warren
12) Cumberland County (5-9) - 1/10 60-66 L at #7 Clinton County, 1/14 75-82 OT L at Somerset, 1/16 60-65 OT L #11 Todd County Central (at Monroe County)
Previous Rank: 14
This Week: No Games
13) Allen County-Scottsville (6-10) - 1/10 83-70 W #10 Logan County, 1/13 66-55 W #12 Glasgow, 1/14 45-57 L #4 Greenwood
Previous Rank: 15
This Week: 1/17 vs. Butler County, 1/20 vs. #8 Barren County
14) Logan County (4-13) - 1/10 70-83 L at #15 Allen County-Scottsville, 1/13 61-83 L at #11 Todd County Central
Previous Rank: 10
This Week: 1/20 at #2 Franklin-Simpson
15) Glasgow (2-12) - 1/9 59-70 L at Green County, 1/13 55-66 L at #15 Allen County-Scottsville, 1/14 54-89 L at Southwestern
Previous Rank: 12
This Week: 1/19 at Adair County, 1/21 vs. #3 Greenwood
16) South Warren (4-14) - 1/10 41-61 L #1 Bowling Green, 1/14 45-70 L Marshall County
Previous Rank: 16
This Week: 1/17 vs. #5 Warren Central, 1/20 vs. #11 Russell County, 1/21 vs. #4 Russellville
17) Metcalfe County (0-16) - 1/13 44-84 L at Adair County, 1/14 41-75 L #8 Monroe County
Previous Rank: 17
This Week: 1/19 vs. #10 Todd County Central (at Monroe County)
Tags for this Thread