Inside the 4th Region (1/17/16)
Fourth Region Rankings
1) Bowling Green (16-2) - 1/12 71-56 W at #4 Russell County, 1/15 60-52 W #6 Warren Central, 1/16 75-68 W #5 Russellville
Previous Rank: 1
This Week: 1/19 at Christian County, 1/22 at #9 Warren East
Bowling Green keeps on rolling with a trio of region wins. They have now won 20 consecutive games against 4th Region competition, their longest such streak in as long as the records I have available (since 1965), and probably longest since the 40s - if not longest ever. They've won 37 of 38 in region play. This week we get a huge game as they take on BGP's top ranked team, before a district matchup with East.
2) Russellville (11-4) - 1/12 69-41 W #9 Greenwood, 1/15 59-52 W #2 Franklin-Simpson, 1/16 68-75 L at #1 Bowling Green
Previous Rank: 5
This Week: 1/19 vs. Muhlenberg County, 1/21 vs. Hopkinsville
The Panthers nearly had a huge back to back showing, but settled for a gigantic district win over previous #2 Franklin-Simpson. They had a game effort against Bowling Green, hitting 10/19 from three in their narrow loss. At 11-4, Russellville is out to their best start through 15 games in six years.
3) Franklin-Simpson (13-3) - 1/12 68-60 W 68-60 W at #11 Monroe County, 1/15 52-59 L at #5 Russellville
Previous Rank: 2
This Week: 1/19 at #12 Greenwood, 1/22 at #11 Logan County
After a huge week last week, the Wildcats had a bit of a letdown when they fell on the road at Russellville, dropping them behind the Panthers in the district standings and our top 10. It's not as bad as it sounds, but Franklin is just 4-3 in their last seven.
4) Barren County (16-4) - 1/12 77-72 W at #7 Warren East, 1/15 74-41 W at #11 Monroe County, 1/16 65-50 W Grant County (at Southwestern)
Previous Rank: 3
This Week: 1/19 at Ohio County, 1/22 vs. #14 Allen County-Scottsville
The Trojans were leapfrogged through no fault of their own thanks to Russellville's big win, but they had a nice 3-0 week away from home. Barren County has already played 20 games, and are closing in on their fifth consecutive 20+ win season.
5) Russell County (12-4) - 1/12 56-71 L #1 Bowling Green, 1/15 64-43 W at #8 Clinton County
Previous Rank: 4
This Week: 1/19 at Southwestern
The Lakers were one of the latest to take their first shot at the Purples and miss. By all rights their game was closer than the final, but Russell County was doomed by 28% shooting against Bowling Green, and hit only 7 of 26 from three. Their win over Clinton County gave them the season sweep of the Bulldogs, and assures them of the 16th District's #1 seed.
6) Warren Central (10-7) - 1/15 52-60 L at #1 Bowling Green
Previous Rank: 6
This Week: 1/19 vs. #8 South Warren, 1/22 at #12 Greenwood, 1/23 vs. Hopkinsville
The Dragons have now dropped 4 of 5 after going through the top tier of their region schedule. They shot a strong 47% clip against the Purples, but committed 18 turnovers and were outrebounded 18-8 on the offensive glass. They finally face down with South Warren this week, the team considered most likely to challenge them for their #2 spot in-district coming into the season. They also face 2nd Region power Hopkinsville on Saturday.
7) Clinton County (12-7) - 1/12 62-43 W at #15 Cumberland County, 1/15 43-64 L #4 Russell County
Previous Rank: 8
This Week: 1/18 at Glasgow
The Bulldogs took care of one 16th District opponent on Tuesday, but lost their home game against the Lakers to fall out of contention for the top spot in the 16th District. They'll enter as favorites for the 4th Region All "A" Classic this week, opening at Glasgow.
8) South Warren (8-9) - 1/16 73-54 W at Marion County
Previous Rank: 10
This Week: 1/19 at #6 Warren Central
It's now four straight wins for Sparty as they continue to climb back towards .500. Bowling Green is the only team to knock them off in this calendar year, and now they'll have two straight games against Warren Central, the first on the road this week. A win is crucial as South Warren would be 0-4 in-district with a loss, and facing a virtual certainty of being out of contention for the 2 seed.
9) Warren East (10-7) - 1/11 71-73 L at #17 Todd County Central, 1/12 72-77 L #3 Barren County, 1/15 64-61 W #9 Greenwood
Previous Rank: 7
This Week: 1/19 vs. Daviess County, 1/22 vs. #1 Bowling Green
Warren East had an interesting week, and has had an interesting few weeks. The loss to Todd County Central is basically inexplicable, a team they beat by 33 just a few weeks ago. Then they had a strong effort against Barren County, before getting a needed district win over Greenwood - a team with their own problems. East has lost 6 of their last 8 games, and has a difficult week that includes a matchup with Bowling Green - winners of 41 straight against the Raiders. Yes, 41.
10) Monroe County (5-14) - 1/12 60-68 L #2 Franklin-Simpson, 1/15 41-74 L #3 Barren County, 1/16 72-64 W at #16 Metcalfe County
Previous Rank: 11
This Week: 1/21 vs. TBA (at Metcalfe County)
Totally honest, this is where things start to fall apart. Monroe hasn't done much to earn this spot other than sort of hang around in some games. They're 2-7 in their last nine, but have basically taken care of business against the teams below them. They start in the semifinals of the All A Classic, and will be a dark horse to win the tourney.
11) Logan County (8-8) - 1/12 51-45 W #14 Allen County-Scottsville, 1/16 58-57 W at Northeast (TN)
Previous Rank: 12
This Week: 1/22 vs. #3 Franklin-Simpson, 1/23 at Hopkins County Central
The Cougars have quietly won 7 of 10 to reach .500 on the season. They'll try to get a big upset at home against Franklin on Friday.
12) Greenwood (7-12) - 1/12 41-69 L at #5 Russellville, 1/15 61-64 L at #7 Warren East, 1/16 49-56 L at #14 Allen County-Scottsville
Previous Rank: 9
This Week: 1/19 vs. #3 Franklin-Simpson, 1/22 vs. #6 Warren Central
The Gators opened the 2016 calendar year with 5 straight road games. It.... did not go well. In all, the Gators are 2-8 in their last 10.
13) Glasgow (5-11) - 1/11 40-69 L at Green County, 1/15 70-59 W #14 Allen County-Scottsville
Previous Rank: 13
This Week: 1/18 vs. Clinton County
The Scotties got the season sweep of Allen County to put themselves into what will likely be the #3 seed for the postseason.
14) Allen County-Scottsville (4-12) - 1/12 45-51 L at #12 Logan County, 1/15 59-70 L at #13 Glasgow, 1/16 56-49 W #9 Greenwood
Previous Rank: 14
This Week: 1/22 at #4 Barren County
The Patriots lost the crucial district game with Glasgow, but did end a five game losing streak with a stunner over Greenwood.
15) Todd County Central (4-14) - 1/11 73-71 W #7 Warren East, 1/12 71-64 W East Robertson (TN), 1/16 54-42 W at Hopkins County Central
Previous Rank: 17
This Week: 1/18 at #16 Cumberland County
Break up the Rebels! After breaking a 29 game losing streak, Todd County has now won four in a row. That's more wins than all of last season, more than they had in their last 49 games. It's their longest winning streak in nine years, and one of those wins was a megaton upset of Warren East.
16) Cumberland County (1-14) - 1/12 43-62 L #8 Clinton County, 1/14 43-60 L Clay County (TN)
Previous Rank: 15
This Week: 1/18 vs. #15 Todd County Central
The Panthers are unfortunately back on another losing streak at three in a row, but have a solid chance to break that Monday when they host Todd Central.
17) Metcalfe County (2-13) - 1/15 54-66 L Adair County, 1/16 64-72 L #11 Monroe County
Previous Rank: 16
This Week: 1/21 vs. TBA
Metcalfe County is still seeking their first win in 2016, opening with four losses in a row.
Tags for this Thread