Inside the 4th Region (1/10/16)
Fourth Region Rankings
1) Bowling Green (13-2) - 1/5 49-39 W #2 Barren County, 1/8 57-33 W #9 Greenwood
Previous Rank: 1
This Week: 1/12 at #4 Russell County, 1/15 vs. #6 Warren Central, 1/16 vs. #5 Russellville
The Purples continue to cement their frontrunner status, dominating then-#2 Barren County and shutting down both opponents this week with smothering defense. Three active players are averaging in double digits (Taylor, Jones, and Wilson), and they'll add a fourth whenever Booker is healthy again.
2) Franklin-Simpson (12-2) - 1/5 61-47 W #4 Warren Central, 1/8 54-42 W #2 Barren County
Previous Rank: 3
This Week: 1/12 at #11 Monroe County, 1/15 at #5 Russellville
It was a statement week for Franklin-Simpson, taking advantage of homecourt to win by double digits against Barren County and Warren Central, the #2 and #4 teams that week. Doaks emerged as a significant compliment to Lovan, scoring 17 against Warren Central and 12 against Barren County.
3) Barren County (13-4) - 1/5 39-49 L at #1 Bowling Green, 1/8 42-54 L at #3 Franklin-Simpson, 1/9 58-45 W #4 Warren Central
Previous Rank: 2
This Week: 1/12 at #7 Warren East, 1/15 at #11 Monroe County, 1/16 vs. Grant County (at Southwestern)
The Trojans took it on the chin in losses to Bowling Green and Franklin-Simpson, but held serve on their home court against Warren Central to salvage the week. With the schedule in front of them, the Trojans may run the table the rest of the way.
4) Russell County (11-3) - 1/7 65-55 W Whitley County, 1/8 62-41 W #17 Cumberland County
Previous Rank: 7
This Week: 1/12 vs. #1 Bowling Green, 1/15 at #8 Clinton County
The three losses by the Lakers have come by a combined 11 points, and the time has come to stop punishing them for their road loss to Greenwood. They get a great chance to show what they're made of against top ranked Bowling Green, before a crucial road trip to Clinton County. Should they win on the 15th, the district #1 is theirs.
5) Russellville (9-3) - 1/5 46-58 L at Ohio County
Previous Rank: 5
This Week: 1/12 vs. #9 Greenwood, 1/15 vs. #2 Franklin-Simpson, 1/16 at #1 Bowling Green
The Panthers missed their shot to potentially move up when they dropped a double digit decision to Ohio County. They'll have a strong back to back opportunity at the end of the week against our top two ranked teams. DeAndre Bradshaw is up to 20.8 PPG for Russellville.
6) Warren Central (10-6) - 1/5 47-61 L at #3 Franklin-Simpson, 1/8 82-67 W at #6 Warren East, 1/9 45-58 L at #2 Barren County
Previous Rank: 4
This Week: 1/15 at #1 Bowling Green
The Dragons took a hit before the week even began, when second leading scorer Tristen Murray was knocked out for 4-6 weeks with a broken hand. They got the game that counts most in winning on the road at Warren East (fueled by Bowman's 33 points), but faded badly in the fourth quarter of both losses to their higher ranked opponents. This is their lowest ranking yet, and it doesn't get easier with a visit to Bowling Green this Friday.
7) Warren East (9-5) - 1/8 67-82 L #4 Warren Central
Previous Rank: 6
This Week: 1/11 at #17 Todd County Central, 1/12 vs. #3 Barren County, 1/15 vs. #9 Greenwood
The Raiders were down just two, with the ball, entering the fourth quarter against Warren Central, but could not keep up to drop a critical district matchup. They have a busy week ahead, but it's Friday's matchup with Greenwood that is most crucial. East has dropped four of five overall.
8) Clinton County (11-6) - 1/5 59-68 L at Pickett County (TN), 1/8 75-46 W #14 Metcalfe County
Previous Rank: 8
This Week: 1/12 at #15 Cumberland County, 1/15 vs. #4 Russell County
Pickett County snapped the four game win streak of Clinton County, but the Bulldogs rebounded with a big district win over Metcalfe County to avenge their stunning December loss. They have a pair of district games on the slate, including the big matchup with Russell County.
9) Greenwood (7-9) - 1/4 46-64 L at Daviess County, 1/8 33-57 L at #1 Bowling Green
Previous Rank: 9
This Week: 1/12 at #5 Russellville, 1/15 at #7 Warren East, 1/16 at #14 Allen County-Scottsville
The Gators are slumping, dropping five of their last six. Russellville will be challenging, while Greenwood needs a win over Warren East for postseason positioning. No one wants to be in the 4/5 game of the 14th District.
10) South Warren (7-9) - 1/5 68-49 W at #13 Logan County, 1/8 55-39 W at #15 Glasgow, 1/9 45-43 W Henderson County
Previous Rank: 10
This Week: 1/16 at Marion County
The wins certainly didn't come over murderer's row, but the Spartans have some strong momentum behind three straight wins. They only play three games in the next 18 days.
11) Monroe County (4-12) - 1/5 72-81 L at Edmonson County, 1/8 63-46 W at #12 Allen County-Scottsville
Previous Rank: 11
This Week: 1/12 vs. #2 Franklin-Simpson, 1/15 vs. #3 Barren County, 1/16 at #16 Metcalfe County
Monroe County is up to 2-1 in the district after their road win at the Patriots, and have a chance to pull into a tie with Barren County if they can pull the upset on Friday.
12) Logan County (6-8) - 1/5 49-68 L #10 South Warren, 1/8 72-52 W #16 Todd County Central
Previous Rank: 13
This Week: 1/12 vs. #14 Allen County-Scottsville, 1/16 at Northeast (TN)
The Cougars have the season sweep of Todd County Central to pull even at 2-2 in the district. Noah Whittinghill is averaging 15.9 PPG with a healthy 36.4% shooting percentage from behind the arc.
13) Glasgow (4-10) - 1/5 64-58 W at #12 Allen County-Scottsville, 1/8 39-55 L #10 South Warren, 1/9 67-49 W Butler County
Previous Rank: 15
This Week: 1/11 at Green County, 1/15 vs. #14 Allen County-Scottsville
Their road win over Allen County was a bit of a stunner, and good enough to send them up the rankings a bit. They doubled their season total for wins in a single week. If they can knock off AC/S again on Friday, they'll virtually assure themselves of being in the 2/3 game.
14) Allen County-Scottsville (3-10) - 1/5 58-64 L #15 Glasgow, 1/8 46-63 L #11 Monroe County, 1/9 61-68 L Adair County
Previous Rank: 12
This Week: 1/12 at #12 Logan County, 1/15 at #13 Glasgow, 1/16 vs. #9 Greenwood
It was a bad, bad, bad week for the Patriots, dropping a pair of district games. They're now 0-3 in the district, losing all three at home. Their first road district game comes on Friday against Glasgow, and a loss there will cement them in the cellar of the district for good.
15) Cumberland County (1-12) - 1/5 69-49 W at #14 Metcalfe County, 1/8 41-62 L at #7 Russell County
Previous Rank: 17
This Week: 1/12 vs. #8 Clinton County, 1/14 vs. Clay County (TN)
The 44 game losing streak is over! The Panthers did it in resounding fashion, with a beatdown of Metcalfe County, 69-49.
16) Metcalfe County (2-11) - 1/5 49-69 L #17 Cumberland County, 1/8 46-75 L at #8 Clinton County
Previous Rank: 14
This Week: 1/15 vs. Adair County, 1/16 vs. #11 Monroe County
As huge a win as it was for Cumberland County, it was a devastating loss for Metcalfe County. They followed it with a blowout loss to Clinton County, and suddenly we're right back where we so often are - Cumberland and Metcalfe headed to a coin toss for 3/4.
17) Todd County Central (1-14) - 1/5 57-60 L at Butler County, 1/8 52-72 L at #13 Logan County, 1/9 78-40 W at Fort Campbell
Previous Rank: 16
This Week: 1/11 vs. #7 Warren East, 1/12 vs. East Robertson (TN), 1/16 at Hopkins County Central
The good news is that Todd County Central climbed into the winning column to erase the last winless 4th Region team. The bad news is that Cumberland County looked better in their win and against a better opponent, so Todd slips into our last spot.
Tags for this Thread