Inside the 4th Region (1/3/16)
Fourth Region Rankings
1) Bowling Green (11-2) - 12/28 79-32 W West Creek (TN), 12/29 60-57 W Doss, 12/30 71-52 W St. X, 1/2 60-53 W #10 South Warren
Previous Rank: 1
This Week: 1/5 vs. #2 Barren County, 1/8 vs. #9 Greenwood
The Purples won their own holiday tournament, including a pair of wins over Louisville schools. The Doss win was impressive in particular, as the Purples trailed most of the game, but closed strong. We get the measuring stick game we've been waiting for when they host Barren County, though the Purples will remain big favorites.
2) Barren County (12-2) - 12/28 48-54 L St. X (at Bowling Green), 12/29 67-56 W #6 Warren East (at Bowling Green), 12/30 70-53 W West Creek (TN) (at Bowling Green), 1/2 79-49 W #15 Glasgow
Previous Rank: 2
This Week: 1/5 at #1 Bowling Green, 1/8 at #3 Franklin-Simpson, 1/9 vs. #4 Warren Central
Barren County missed their shot at Bowling Green when they suffered an opening round loss in the Meijer Classic, but did pick up a nice win over Warren East. They run the gauntlet this week as they play the other three top 4 teams. There will be no doubt as to where Barren County stands after this week.
3) Franklin-Simpson (10-2) - 12/28 80-75 W Barbourville (at Corbin), 12/29 62-70 L Madison Southern (at Corbin)
Previous Rank: 3
This Week: 1/5 vs. #4 Warren Central, 1/8 vs. #2 Barren County
The Wildcats suffered their second loss as they prepare for two big games against Warren Central and Barren County, both in the friendly confines. Lovan has over 300 points in the 11 games that have current stats, and may have an outside shot at getting to 1,000 points this season.
4) Warren Central (9-4) - 12/28 64-46 W Rome (GA) (at Lafayette, GA), 12/29 58-50 W Cass (GA) (at Lafayette, GA), 12/30 66-44 W Coosa (GA) (at Lafayette, GA), 1/2 62-69 L Bardstown (at Central Hardin)
Previous Rank: 4
This Week: 1/5 at #3 Franklin-Simpson, 1/8 at #6 Warren East, 1/9 at #2 Barren County
The Dragons won the Lafayette Christmas Classic in Georgia, but came home to a loss to Bardstown, a team they had beaten by double digits just two weeks prior. They'll go on a road trip this week, and could rise as high as #2 with three wins, but could just as easily slide down. It's a week of teams finding out where they stand.
5) Russellville (9-2) - 12/29 86-67 W St. Mary, 12/29 84-60 W Springfield (TN), 12/30 60-50 W Kenwood (TN), 1/2 59-47 W at #13 Logan County
Previous Rank: 5
This Week: 1/5 at Ohio County
Russellville swept their three contests in their home holiday tournament and then picked up another district win over their crosstown rival for the kicker. They have a light week when they travel to Ohio County, who they should knock off easily.
6) Warren East (9-4) - 12/28 44-70 L Paducah Tilghman (at Bowling Green), 12/29 56-67 L #2 Barren County (at Bowling Green), 12/30 73-57 W Trigg County (at Bowling Green)
Previous Rank: 6
This Week: 1/8 vs. #4 Warren Central
The Raiders took it on the chin in a pair of games in the Meijer Classic, but got a week of rest before a crucial home district match with Warren Central. The Raiders could position themselves for a top 2 seed with a win.
7) Russell County (9-3) - 12/28 75-50 W Jackson City (at Powell County), 12/29 71-55 W Harlan County (at Powell County), 12/30 49-53 L Tates Creek (at Powell County)
Previous Rank: 7
This Week: 1/7 vs. Whitley County, 1/8 vs. #17 Cumberland County
The Lakers fell just short of a title, but have re-established themselves as a threat in region play. They, like Russellville, have a lightweight week.
8) Clinton County (10-5) - 12/28 58-43 W Estill County (at Powell County), 12/29 75-50 W Jackson City (at Powell County), 12/30 79-34 W Lee County (at Powell County)
Previous Rank: 9
This Week: 1/5 at Pickett County (TN), 1/8 vs. #14 Metcalfe County, 1/9 vs. Harlan County
The Bulldogs won the Red River Classic and have run their win streak to five. They're the only team moving up in the ranks this week, and should have a good shot to sweep the week.
9) Greenwood (7-7) - 12/28 44-74 L North Bullitt (at LaRue County), 12/29 50-65 L Adair County (at LaRue County), 12/30 57-47 W Crittenden County (at LaRue County)
Previous Rank: 8
This Week: 1/4 at Daviess County, 1/8 at #1 Bowling Green
The Gators were blown out by North Bullitt and dropped another game to Adair County, so they drop a notch. Big rivalry game with Bowling Green this week.
10) South Warren (4-9) - 12/28 68-58 W #11 Monroe County (at Campbellsville), 1/2 53-60 L at #1 Bowling Green
Previous Rank: 10
This Week: 1/5 at #13 Logan County, 1/8 at #15 Glasgow, 1/9 vs. Henderson County
South justified their top ten spot with a win over the team contending for their spot, and hung tough with top ranked Bowling Green behind Dayton Gumm's 34 points. The Spartans have played within single digits of the Purples in four of their last five games, but can't seem to get the win.
11) Monroe County (3-11) - 12/28 58-68 L #10 South Warren, 1/2 54-77 L at Central Hardin
Previous Rank: 11
This Week: 1/5 at Edmonson County, 1/8 at #12 Allen County-Scottsville
The Falcons have dropped four straight, and will need to rebound before a big district game with Allen County. Avoiding Barren County in district tournament play is crucial.
12) Allen County-Scottsville (3-7) - None
Previous Rank: 12
This Week: 1/5 vs. #15 Glasgow, 1/8 vs. #11 Monroe County, 1/9 vs. Adair County
The Patriots took a winter siesta, and come back with a pair of district matchups.
13) Logan County (5-7) - 12/29 76-42 W Prestonsburg (at Russellville), 12/29 43-63 L Kenwood (TN) (at Russellville), 12/30 66-65 W Springfield (TN) (at Russellville), 1/2 47-59 L #5 Russellville
Previous Rank: 13
This Week: 1/5 vs. #10 South Warren, 1/8 vs. #16 Todd County Central
The Cougars picked up a pair of wins in their holiday classic, but still remain below .500.
14) Metcalfe County (2-9) - None
Previous Rank: 14
This Week: 1/5 vs. #17 Cumberland County, 1/8 at #8 Clinton County
Another team that took a week off, the Hornets host Cumberland County in a game that should lock them into at least the 3 seed in their district. They travel to Clinton County, who they shocked in holiday tournament play.
15) Glasgow (2-9) - 12/28 52-39 W Crittenden County (at LaRue County), 12/29 47-67 L at LaRue County, 12/30 38-65 L Daviess County (at LaRue County), 1/2 49-79 L at #2 Barren County
Previous Rank: 15
This Week: 1/5 at #12 Allen County-Scottsville, 1/8 vs. #10 South Warren, 1/9 vs. Butler County
The Scotties have not topped 54 points since the third game of the year.
16) Todd County Central (0-12) - 1/2 55-61 L at Kenwood (TN)
Previous Rank: 16
This Week: 1/5 at Butler County, 1/8 at #13 Logan County, 1/9 at Fort Campbell
The beat goes on as the Rebels still seek their first victory. Each of these games this week are winnable.
17) Cumberland County (0-11) - 1/2 52-68 L McCreary Central
Previous Rank: 17
This Week: 1/5 at #14 Metcalfe County, 1/8 at #7 Russell County
Metcalfe County will be one of Cumberland County's last serious chances at a win, and would be their only hope of digging out of the 4 spot in the district tournament.
Tags for this Thread