Inside the 4th Region (1/4/15)
Fourth Region Top 10
1) Bowling Green (11-3) - 12/29 75-39 W Todd Co. Central, 12/30 80-53 W John Hardin, 12/31 75-53 W Madison Southern, 12/31 62-69 L Christian County, 1/2 70-62 W #5 South Warren, 1/3 71-79 L Owensboro (at Muhlenberg County)
Previous Rank: 1
This Week: 1/6 at #4 Barren County, 1/9 at Greenwood
2) Monroe County (12-2) - 12/29 74-64 W Caldwell Co. (at BGHS), 12/30 69-52 W Bardstown (at BGHS), 12/31 73-74 L Christian Co. (at BGHS), 12/31 72-52 W Madison Southern (at BGHS)
Previous Rank: 2
This Week: 1/6 vs. Edmonson County, 1/9 vs. #7 Allen County-Scottsville, 1/10 at Franklin-Simpson
3) Warren Central (7-6) - 12/28 72-54 W at Pulaski County, 12/29 64-67 L at Southwestern, 12/30 71-64 W Knox Central (at Southwestern), 1/3 54-39 W Casey County (at Taylor County)
Previous Rank: 3
This Week: 1/6 vs. Franklin-Simpson, 1/9 vs. #10 Warren East, 1/10 vs. #4 Barren County
4) Barren County (11-3) - 12/29 64-31 W Friendship Christian (TN), 12/30 73-50 W Bell County, 1/2 71-46 W Glasgow, 1/3 60-52 W Marion County
Previous Rank: 4
This Week: 1/6 at #1 Bowling Green, 1/9 vs. Franklin-Simpson, 1/10 at #3 Warren Central
5) Russell County (6-4) - 12/28 59-74 L George Rogers Clark (at Berea), 12/29 65-49 W Tates Creek (at Berea), 12/30 52-57 L Mercer County (at Berea), 1/3 72-56 W #7 Clinton County
Previous Rank: 8
This Week: 1/6 vs. Taylor County, 1/9 at Cumberland county
6) Clinton County (9-6) - 12/28 48-64 L Lafayette (at Montgomery Co.), 12/29 55-54 W Madisonville (at Montgomery Co.), 1/3 56-72 L at #8 Russell County
Previous Rank: 7
This Week: 1/6 vs. Pickett County (TN), 1/9 at Metcalfe County
7) Allen County-Scottsville (8-4) - 12/29 78-75 W Ohio County, 12/30 70-63 W Hart County, 12/31 49-60 L Shelby County, 1/2 62-57 W at Greenwood
Previous Rank: 9
This Week: 1/6 at Glasgow, 1/9 at #2 Monroe County, 1/10 at Adair County
8) South Warren (8-8) - 12/29 64-76 L Christian Co. (at BGHS), 12/30 48-52 L Doss (at BGHS), 12/30 76-66 W Caldwell Co. (at BGHS), 12/31 62-56 W Todd Co. Central (at BGHS), 1/2 62-70 L #1 Bowling Green
Previous Rank: 5
This Week: 1/9 at Muhlenberg County
9) Logan County (8-4) - 12/29 59-70 L Greenwood, 12/29 74-53 W Dyersburg (TN), 1/2 72-52 W at Russellville
Previous Rank: 10
This Week: 1/6 vs. Butler County, 1/9 at Todd County Central
10) Warren East (8-5) - 12/29 73-68 W Hopkins Co. Central (at Edmonson Co.), 12/30 67-71 OT L at Edmonson Co., 12/31 81-75 W Ballard Memorial (at Edmonson Co.)
Previous Rank: NR
This Week: 1/9 at #3 Warren Central
Last Week's Game of the Week - "Last week" is relative since this is the first notebook in a few weeks, so let's say game of the week since the last one. And that coincidentally came one day after our last update, waaaay back on December 9th. Call it a signature loss for Allen County-Scottsville when they went on the road to #4 Barren County and came up just short, falling 88-83 in TRIPLE overtime. After the game was tied at 61 entering OT, AC/S seized control, jumping out to a five point lead with just under a minute left in the extra frame. But a Nick Mabe three ball tied it at 71 to go to the second OT. In that session it was the Trojans that took control, and it was the Patriots' turn to hit a big three, this by Thomas Spencer tot tie it at 77. The Trojans were ultimately able to gain the lead and win it on free throws late to gain the crucial district win. Both teams are in the top 7 of the region now.
Impact Game - The game of greatest impact has to be Monroe County's 62-53 win over Warren Central in the Owensboro Invitational tournament. It was just the second win ever for the Falcons over Warren Central, a team that has been to five straight region title games and entered the year a favorite to go back again. Monroe County had already moved ahead of the Dragons in the BGP rankings, but now we have concrete proof that the Falcons are ready to challenge. They remain unbeaten against 4th Region teams and have added wins over Barren County and Russell County as well. They have twice narrowly missed opportunities to play Bowling Green, but may yet have their chance to lay claim to #1 when the teams play at Monroe on January 31st.
Impact Injury - Tavin Lovan may be just a sophomore, but there's a strong argument he is the region's best player and he is certainly its best prospect. In his first four games of the year he averaged over 29 points per game. But in the fifth game, he broke his non-shooting wrist, sidelining him for up to a month and a half. The Wildcats expect him back in late January, possibly for their district tilt against Todd County Central. Franklin-Simpson went on to lose the game against Logan County that he was hurt in, as well as five of the next six. And it doesn't get easier this week as the Wildcats take on the #2-#4 teams in the region. It is likely his absence will severely damage their record and seeding, but could also possibly transform them into a bit of a dark horse when he returns, a team that will far outperform their record at that point.
Favorites Look Like It - Bowling Green was made #1 in preseason after their strong close to the previous year led them to the region title and state final four, and that train has not come close to derailing through the first month of the year. The Purples are off to a strong 11-3 start, matching last season's mark through 14 games as their best start since 09/10. Their losses are to highly regarded WKY powers Henderson County, Owensboro, and Christian County, and they boast wins over Apollo, Daviess County, and Elizabethtown. Bowling Green is 21-4 since their loss to Owensboro late last season and there are a lot more wins ahead of them.
Upcoming Games of the Week
1/6 - #1 Bowling Green at #4 Barren County - As mentioned, the Purples are rolling and have won 14 straight games against 4th Region teams. Warren Central is the only region team to beat them in just over two years.... since Barren County took the Purples down on New Year's Day in 2013. The Trojans enter with a seven game win streak and will hope to rectify last year's failure to defeat BG when the Trojans had homecourt advantage in the region tournament.
1/9 - #7 Allen County-Scottsville at #2 Monroe County - Monroe is already out to a 2-0 start in the district and can put a stranglehold on it with a home win over the Patriots. Meanwhile AC/S will look to continue their climb up the region rankings and hope to get back in the #1 seed discussion in the 15th.
1/10 - #4 Barren County at #3 Warren Central - It's kind of a big week for Barren County as they have another year of double duty in a single week against Bowling Green and Warren Central. In this one they take on the Dragons, a team that has won 15 of 16 against Barren County, and has not lost to the Trojans in Dragon Gym since 1996. Last year each team was more highly regarded, and the two teams lit up the scoreboard to the tune of an 84-81 Warren Central victory at Barren County. Games between these two are usually quite entertaining.
Tags for this Thread