Inside the 12th Region 1/23/17
12th Region Basketball
It was more district play this week as many of the teams are meeting for the second time this season. West Jessamine traveled to Mercer County, Southwestern played McCreary Central, Pulaski faced Casey County, and Garrard County played both Boyle County and Lincoln County. As the districts start to take shape there was also a lot of other action in the 12th Region last week. Here is a rundown of this week’s 12th Region rankings and review.
1) Pulaski County (15-4) – The Maroons only played one game last week, but it was a win over 47th District foe Casey County 89-77. This week the Maroons are on the road at Russell County and at Rockcastle County for another 47th District showdown. They will then travel to Taylor County to play Butler in the Clem Haskins Classic.
2) Southwestern (18-2) – The Warriors continue to add wins to their record as they beat McCreary Central twice 91-75 and 76-59 in last week’s games. They also beat Russell County 91-57. This week the Warriors are on the road at West Jessamine and at 48th District rival Wayne County.
3) Mercer County (15-4) – The Titans have won eleven of their last twelve games including three wins last week. They beat Montgomery County 74-39, West Jessamine 74-64, and Muhlenberg County 93-63. Trevon Faulkner had a double-double in the game versus Montgomery County scoring 24 points and grabbing 10 rebounds. This week the Titans host Boyle County before road games at Burgin and East Jessamine.
4) Lincoln County (14-7) – The Patriots split a pair of games last week as they beat Garrard County 57-50 but lost to Madison Central 41-66. In the game versus Garrard County, Noah Young scored 26 points to lead the Patriots. This week they host McCreary Central before traveling to 45th District rival Boyle County.
5) Rockcastle County (13-7) – The Rockets got a good win on the road over Wayne County last week 82-73. John Cornelius led the way with 32 points and Thomas Burdette added 25 points in the win. The Rockets then played in the Toyota Classic in Scott County where they lost to Scott County 53-82 and Madison Southern 54-66 before beating LaRue County 71-63. This week the Rockets are on the road to once again play Madison Southern before hosting 47th District foe Pulaski County.
6) Wayne County (10-11) – The Cardinals had a busy week last week. They lost to Rockcastle County 73-82 then played in the Toyota Classic in Scott County. They lost to Christian Life Center, TX 76-88, beat LaRue County 52-42, but lost again to Madison Southern 89-93 in overtime. In the win over Larue County, Logan Brett scored 21 points to lead the Cardinals. In the loss to Madison Southern, Stetson Simpson scored 21 points. This week Wayne County travels to Knox Central before hosting 48th District rival Southwestern.
7) Boyle County (11-9) – The Rebels are winners of five of their last six games including three victories this week. They beat Casey County 66-62, Garrard County 72-66, and Franklin County 62-40. In the win over Casey County, Jason Alexander led the way with 20 points and Bryce Slone added 19 points. Reese Smith was high scorer in the win over Garrard County. He had 23 points. This week Boyle County travels to Mercer County and then hosts Lincoln County for a rematch of 45th District rivals.
8) West Jessamine (8-12) – Although the Colts are on a five game losing streak, the competition they have faced has been strong. Last week they lost to Madison Central 53-69, Mercer County 64-74, and Dixie Heights 46-60. In the game versus Madison Central, Isaiah Okesson led the way with 18 points while Kendall Peters added 16 points. This week the competition doesn’t get any easier as the Colts host Southwestern and Madison Southern.
9) Casey County (6-16) – The Rebels won one out of four games last week. They started off the week with a good win over West Jessamine 75-73, but lost the next three to Boyle County 62-66, Pulaski County 77-89, and Perry County Central 50-67. This week Casey County travels to Russell County for their only game of the week.
10) Danville (7-12) – The Admirals were winners of the 12th Region All A Classic after beating Burgin 74-37 and Somerset 65-50. In the championship game, Jared Southerland scored 20 points to lead the Admirals. They also played Nicholas County on Saturday but lost 61-66. This week the Admirals travel to Frankfort to play Walton Verona in the first game of the All A State Tournament.
11) East Jessamine (8-14) – The Jaguars only played one game last week but it was a win against McCreary Central 80-72. This week they host Grant County and 46th District rival Mercer County.
12) McCreary Central (12-7) – The Raiders lost all three games they played last week. They played Southwestern twice and lost 71-95 and again 59-76. They then traveled to East Jessamine and lost 72-80. This week they are on the road and play at Lynn Camp and at Lincoln County.
13) Somerset (8-12) – The Briar Jumpers split a pair of games in the 12th Region All A Classic. They beat Washington County 78-51 but lost to Danville in the championship game 50-65. This week the Jumpers have no games on the schedule.
14) Garrard County (3-16) – Last week the Golden Lions lost a pair of district games. They lost to Lincoln County 50-57 and Boyle County 66-72 in double overtime. This week they host George Rogers Clark and Model.
15) Burgin (7-10) – This past week the Bulldogs lost to Danville 37-74, beat Riverside Christian 67-39, and lost to St. Francis 74-81. This week is a busy one as they travel to Portland Christian before hosting Mercer County, Piarist School, and Middlesboro.
16) Kentucky School f/t Deaf (2-9) – The Colonels went 1-2 this past weekend playing in the Mid-America Classic. This week they travel to Louisiana to play in the 65th Annual Boys’ Deaf Mason-Dixon Tournament.
Last Week’s Games:
Monday, January 16, 2017
Somerset 78 Washington County 51 (12th Region All A Classic)
Rockcastle County 82 Wayne County 73
Southwestern 95 McCreary Central 71
Tuesday, January 17, 2017
Danville 74 Burgin 37 (12th Region All A Classic)
Boyle County 66 Casey County 62
Lincoln County 57 Garrard County 50
Madison Central 69 West Jessamine 53
Mercer County 74 Montgomery County 39
Riverside Christian 42 Kentucky School f/t Deaf 39
Southwestern 91 Russell County 57
Wednesday, January 18, 2017
Scott County 82 Rockcastle County 53 (Toyota Classic)
Thursday, January 19, 2017
Wayne County 76 Christian Life Center, TX 88 (Toyota Classic)
Madison Southern 66 Rockcastle County 54 (Toyota Classic)
Pulaski County 89 Casey County 77
Southwestern 76 McCreary Central 59
Friday, January 20, 2017
Danville 65 Somerset 50 (12th Region All A Classic) Championship game
Wayne County 52 LaRue County 42 (Toyota Classic)
Boyle County 72 Garrard County 66 2OT
Madison Central 66 Lincoln County 41
Mercer County 74 West Jessamine 64
Burgin 67 Riverside Christian 39
Saturday, January 21, 2017
Kentucky School f/t Deaf 32 vs Western Pennsylvania School f/t Deaf 61 (Mid-America Classic)
Kentucky School f/t Deaf 47 vs West Virginia School f/t Deaf 27 (Mid-America Classic)
Mercer County 93 vs Muhlenberg County 63 (Remy Grace Classic)
East Jessamine 80 McCreary Central 72 (Remy Grace Classic)
Boyle County 62 vs Franklin County 40 (Remy Grace Classic)
Dixie Heights 60 vs West Jessamine 46 (Remy Grace Classic)
Rockcastle County 71 LaRue County 63 (Toyota Classic)
Madison Southern 93 Wayne County 89 (Toyota Classic)
St. Francis 81 Burgin 74
Perry County Central 67 Casey County 50
Nicholas County 66 Danville 61
Lincoln County 3-0
Boyle County 3-1
Garrard County 0-4
KY School f/t Deaf 0-0
West Jessamine 2-1
Mercer County 2-1
East Jessamine 0-2
Rockcastle County 3-1
Pulaski County 2-1
Casey County 3-3
Wayne County 1-1
McCreary Central 0-3