Inside the 12th Region (1/9/17)
12th Region Basketball
After very busy weeks of playing in Christmas and holiday tournaments, things slowed down in the 12th Region this past week due in part to weather. Only twelve games were played making for not a lot of change in the rankings. The KHSAA stats did however come out this past week and the 12th Region is well represented. Here is a look inside this week’s 12th Region.
12th Region Rankings:
1) Pulaski County (12-3) – The Maroons got a win over Boyle County 82-73 last week. Treyvon Sylvester had a beast of a game scoring 27 points and grabbing 14 rebounds. Steven Fitzgerald added 26 points and Landon Powell chipped in 19 points in the win. The Maroons are currently the top scoring team in the region and the 7th ranked scoring team in the state averaging 79.0 points per game. Landon Powell is also one of the top 3-point field goal leaders in the state coming in at #8 averaging 3.4 per game. This week is a busy week for the Maroons as they travel to Somerset, then host Lincoln County and Southwestern.
2) Southwestern (13-1) – The Warriors played in the Bluegrass Cellular New Year’s Eve Classic at Central Hardin last week where they beat LaRue County 92-76. Peyton Gover is currently the 4th leading scorer in the state averaging 30.7 points per game. Southwestern is also the top free throw shooting team in the state averaging 80.9% from the line. Peyton Cundiff is 12th in the state at the charity stripe averaging 87.5% from the line. As a team they come in 8th in scoring averaging 78.6 points per game and 18th in the state in margin of victory at 15.0. This week the Warriors travel to Bourbon County and Pulaski County before hosting Glasgow in the Hall of Fame Classic.
3) Mercer County (11-4) – The Titans beat Danville this past week 70-67 in the only game they played. Trevon Faulkner had 29 points in the win. Speaking of Trevon, he is currently the top rebounder in the region and 5th in the state averaging 12.2 rebounds per game. He is also the 15th best free throw shooter in the state averaging 87.1% from the line. As a team, the Titans come in 13th in the state in scoring averaging 76.6 points per game and 7th in rebounding with 36.9 per game. They are also 17th in free throw percentage with 73.7%. Not bad stats for a so called rebuilding year. This week the Titans will host Wayne County.
4) Lincoln County (11-5) – The Patriots were one of the few teams from the region that actually didn’t have any games canceled last week. They beat East Jessamine 64-54 and Danville 70-46, but lost to Butler 55-56 in the Whitefield Down Syndrome Classic. Lincoln County is ranked high in the state when it comes to shooting percentage. They are the leader in the region and 5th in the state in 3-point shooting averaging 42.6% from behind the arch. They are also 13th in the state in field goal percentage averaging 51.1%. This week the Patriots travel to Pulaski County before hosting 45th District rival Boyle County.
5) West Jessamine (8-7) – The Colts played one game last week and they cruised to a win against cross town rival East Jessamine 79-40. This week West Jessamine hosts state ranked Lexington Christian before traveling to Casey County.
6) Wayne County (8-6) – The Cardinals played Casey County in their only game of the week and won 86-68. Jakson Baker led all scores with 24 points in the win. He also pulled down 12 rebounds for the double-double. Baker is one of the top rebounders in the state. He is currently 8th in the state averaging 11.8 rebounds per game. As a team, the Cardinals are one of the top free throw shooting teams in the state averaging 74.5% from the line. This week Wayne County hosts McCreary Central and Taylor County before traveling to Mercer County.
7) McCreary Central (9-3) – All of the Raider’s games were canceled due to snow last week. They do have a busy week ahead as they travel to Wayne County before hosting Russell County and Barbourville. They will then play Garrard County in the Hall of Fame Classic at Southwestern on Saturday.
8) Rockcastle County (9-5) – The Rockets were only able to play one game last week but they were able to pull out a win against district rival Somerset 78-64. This week the Rockets play at home hosting East Jessamine and 47th District foe Casey County.
9) Casey County (5-10) – The Rebels were able to play both their games this past week and split the two games. They lost to Wayne County 68-86 but beat district rival Somerset 67-62. Breece Hayes scored 21 points in the victory over Somerset. The Rebels play three games on the road this week. They travel to Madison Central and Anderson county before meeting district foe Rockcastle County.
10) Boyle County (7-8) – The Rebels played two games this week losing to Pulaski County 73-82 but beating Garrard County 72-54 in their first 45th District matchup. In the loss to Pulaski, Bryce Slone scored 25 points and had 8 rebounds to lead the Rebels. Jason Alexander was high score for Boyle County in their win over Garrard County with 16 points. The Rebels are in full 45th District mode this week as they host crosstown rival Danville before traveling to Lincoln County later in the week.
11) Danville (4-10) – The Admirals lost a pair of games on the road last week. They got beat to Mercer County 67-70 and to district opponent Lincoln County 46-70. They stay in the 45th District this week as they travel to crosstown rival Boyle County before hosting Garrard County.
12) East Jessamine (5-13) – The Jaguars lost a pair of 12th Region games last week. They lost to Lincoln County 54-64 and crosstown rival West Jessamine 40-79. East Jessamine is on the road at Rockcastle County this week before hosting Western Hills and Garrard County.
13) Somerset (4-11) – The Jumper lost a pair of 47th District games last week. They lost to Rockcastle County 64-78 and Casey County 62-67. They will host three games this week in preparation for the All A classic. They play Pulaski County, Model, and Cumberland County.
14) Garrard County (3-10) – The Golden Lions lost their only game last week 54-72 against Boyle County. They are very busy this week as they play four games in four days. Garrard County travels to Estill County, East Jessamine, Danville, and McCreary Central.
15) Burgin (3-7) – The Bulldogs lost at Fort Knox last week 35-64. They come home this week to host four games. They play Berea, Evangel Christian, Portland Christian, and Robertson County.
16) Kentucky School f/t Deaf (1-6) – All of the Colonels games were canceled last week due to the snow. There are no games on the schedule until January 17, 2017, when they host Riverside Christian.
Boyle County 1-0
Lincoln County 1-0
Garrard County 0-1
KY School f/t Deaf 0-0
West Jessamine 2-0
Mercer County 1-1
East Jessamine 0-2
Pulaski County 2-0
Casey County 3-1
Wayne County 0-1
McCreary Central 0-0
Last Week’s 12th Region Games:
Tuesday, January 3, 2017
Pulaski County 82 at Boyle County 73
Lincoln County 64 at East Jessamine 54
Danville 70 at Mercer County 67
Somerset 64 at Rockcastle County 78
Casey County 68 at Wayne County 86
Friday, January 6, 2017
Somerset 62 at Casey County 67
Boyle County 72 at Garrard County 54
Danville 46 at Lincoln County 70
East Jessamine 40 at West Jessamine 79
Saturday, January 7, 2017
LaRue County 76 vs Southwestern 92 (at C. Hardin) Bluegrass Cellular New Year’s Eve Classic
Lincoln County 55 vs Butler 56 (Whitfield Down Syndrome Classic)
Burgin 35 at Fort Knox 64
Up Coming Games:
Monday, January 9, 2017
Casey County at Madison Central
Pulaski County at Somerset
McCreary Central at Wayne County
Tuesday, January 10, 2017
Casey County at Anderson County
Southwestern at Bourbon County
Danville at Boyle County
Berea at Burgin
Garrard County at Estill County
Russell County at McCreary Central
Lincoln County at Pulaski County
East Jessamine at Rockcastle County
Taylor County at Wayne County
Lexington Christian at West Jessamine
Wednesday, January 11, 2017
Evangel Christian at Burgin
Western Hills at East Jessamine
Thursday, January 12, 2017
Garrard County at East Jessamine
Barbourville at McCreary Central
Friday, January 13, 2017
Portland Christian at Burgin
Garrard County at Danville
Boyle County at Lincoln County
Wayne County at Mercer County
Southwestern at Pulaski County
Casey County at Rockcastle County
Model at Somerset
Saturday, January 14, 2017
McCreary Central vs Garrard County (at Southwestern) Hall of Fame Classic
Glasgow at Southwestern (Hall of Fame Classic)
Robertson County at Burgin
West Jessamine at Casey County
Bourbon county at Lincoln County
Cumberland county at Somerset