Inside the 12th Region (1/2/17)
Inside the 12th Region
Happy New Year to all of the BluegrassPreps community! As we welcome the new year, we can also reflect back on December to analyze what we have learned about the 12th Region thus far. Pulaski County looks to be the team to beat. Southwestern, Mercer County, Lincoln County, and West Jessamine look to be teams that can challenge the Maroons but are not quite on the same tier as Pulaski County. The 48th District could be a competitive district as all three teams have winning records coming into January. And Peyton Gover is making his mark on the 2016-2017 season as he is putting up big scoring numbers for Southwestern. 2016 was fun but 2017 looks to be exciting in the 12th Region. Here are this week’s 12th Region rankings and review.
12th Region Rankings:
1) Pulaski County (11-3) - After one month into the basketball season, the Maroons have proven they are the team to beat in the 12th Region. They have rolled through 12th Region competition going 5-0 in the region with the closest game being a 13 point difference. They beat #2 Southwestern 87-72 in the championship game of the Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops Classic last week to finish off 2016. Steven Fitzgerald is a beast for the Maroons as he is averaging 24.2 points and 9.4 rebounds so far this season. Landon Powell is averaging 20.5 point per game and Treyvon Sylvester is adding 15.2 points for the Maroons. Pulaski has a full slate of 12th Region competition ahead in 2017. The question is, who will be the team to challenge them.
2) Southwestern (12-1) - The Warriors have had a great start to the season winning their first 12 games before falling in the championship game of the Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops Classic to Pulaski County 72-87. Peyton Gover is making a case for 12th Region Player of the Year as he is scorching teams at around 33 points per game. He has had multiple 40+ games with one coming last week versus Wayne County in the Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops Classic when he scored 43 points in their win. Southwestern shoots the ball really well and that has been their staple thus far this season. They are capable of beating any team in the region when the shots are falling. Their weakness is their size and that was seen in the lose to Pulaski County.
3) Mercer County (10-4) - The Titans are playing some good basketball at this time of the season. They have won six of their last seven games with their only loss to a very good Adair County at the Campbellsville High School Holiday Classic last week. Trevon Faulkner continues to shine for Mercer County averaging a double-double and leading the team with over 21 points and 11 rebounds per game. The Titans begin the new year hosting Danville before traveling to Burgin for a 46th District matchup.
4) Lincoln County (9-4) - The Patriots played in the Gateway Holiday Classic last week where they beat Worthington Kilbourne, OH 69-45 and Montgomery County 62-44 but lost to a good Lexington Christian team 50-59. Noah young is having a great year for the Patriots averaging over 25 points per game. Devin Alcorn is adding 16 points per game. Lincoln County travels to East Jessamine this week then hosts 45th District rival Danville. They will then play Butler in the Whitefield Down Syndrome Classic.
5) West Jessamine (7-7) - The Colts have played a tough schedule thus far this season. They are 3-1 in 12th Region play with their one loss coming to #4 Lincoln County. Last week they played in the Traditional Bank Holiday Classic at Lexington Catholic and went 2-2. West Jessamine is led in scoring by Isaiah Okesson who is averaging 17.0 points per game so far this season. Dalton Bruner is adding 13.5 points. The Colts play crosstown rival East Jessamine next week to start the new year.
6) Wayne County (7-6) - The Cardinals are beginning to gel and have won six of their last eight games. Last week they played three region teams in the Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops Classic beating Casey County 72-55 and Somerset 84-74. Wayne County just barely lost to #2 Southwestern 81-83. Jakson Baker is averaging a double-double for the Cardinals scoring 16.7 points per game and pulling down 11.8 rebounds. This week they host Casey County before traveling out of region to play Whitley County.
7) McCreary Central (9-3) - The Raiders have had a good start in December and are much improved from last season. They are led in scoring by big man Devon Hamilton who is averaging 16.1 points per game and pulling down 9.3 rebounds. Hunter Jones is adding 14.1 points. The Raiders will be challenged to start the new year as they will get 48th District rivals Southwestern and Wayne County in their first two games.
8) Rockcastle County (8-5) - The Rockets are starting to find their groove now that big man Lucas Gentry has returned to the lineup. They were the winners of the
South Central Bank-Halton Classic at Allen County-Scottsville beating Allen County-Scottsville 63-57, Elizabethtown 80-77, and Springfield, TN 52-51. The Rockets are led in scoring by John Cornelius averaging 19.1 points and Carson Noble who is averaging 18.1 points per game. The Rockets start the new year with two 47th District games hosting Somerset and traveling to Pulaski County.
9) Casey County (4-9) - The Rebels played in the Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops Classic last week where they beat Jeffersontown 79-61, but lost to Wayne County 55-72 and Upperman, TN 66-94. So far this year the Rebels have been led in scoring by Jacob Smith and Colin Miller who are both averaging just above 20 points per game. Breece Hayes leads the team in rebounding with 8.7 boards per game. This week Casey County will get a rematch with Wayne County before hosting district rival Somerset.
10) Boyle County (6-7) - The Rebels travelled to Montgomery County last week to play in the Gateway Holiday Classic. They won two of three games beating Lewis County 63-40 and Worthington Kilbourne, OH 60-45. The Rebels have been getting good basketball from Bryce Slone who leads the team in scoring and rebounding averaging 20.2 points per game and 5.2 rebounds. Boyle County kicks off the new year against the #1 team in the region Pulaski County before starting district play at Garrard County.
11) Danville (4-8) - The Admirals were finding their stride before Christmas winning three in a row to win the Garrard County tournament. But, they have since lost three of their last four. The new year brings a challenging schedule of 12th Region competition as the Admirals are on the road to play Mercer County and Lincoln County.
12) East Jessamine (5-11) - The Jaguars have won three of their last five games and are looking to steadily improve as the season continues. Last week they played in the Henry County Invitational and beat Frankfort 76-49. This week the Jaguars have a challenging schedule as they host Lincoln County then travel across town to face 46th District rival West Jessamine.
13) Somerset (4-9) - The Briar Jumpers have the potential to be a good team but have had a difficult time finishing games in the second half. They have played nine different 12th Region teams and have a 1-8 record against those teams. The next three games are big for the Jumpers post season alignment as they play all three 47th District opponents.
14) Garrard County (3-9) - The Golden Lions are in a rebuilding year and have only picked up three win thus far this season. One of those wins was last week in the Hyden Bank Christmas Classic when they beat Leslie County 72-64. This week Garrard County hosts 45th District foe Boyle County.
15) Burgin (3-6) - The Bulldogs only played one game last week and they got the win over Trinity (Whitesville) 61-55. This week they host Augusta and travel to Fort Knox.
16) Kentucky School f/t Deaf (1-6) - The Colonels will resume play this week as they host the Kentucky Classic.
Last Week's Results:
Monday, December 26, 2016
Cooper 91 West Jessamine 63 (at Lexington Catholic) Traditional Bank Holiday Classic
Tuesday, December 27, 2016
Lincoln County 69 Worthington Kilbourne, OH (at Montgomery County) Gateway Holiday Classic
Mason County 69 Boyle County 58 (at Montgomery County) Gateway Holiday Classic
Christian Academy-Louisville 74 East Jessamine 65 (Henry County Invitational)
Garrard County 72 Leslie County 64 (Hyden Bank Christmas Tournament)
Pulaski County 74 Upperman, TN (Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops Classic)
Somerset 66 Spring Hill, TN 38 (Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops Classic)
Southwestern 81 Jeffersontown 57 (Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops Classic)
Wayne County 72 Casey County 55 (Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops Classic)
Danville 63 Atherton 53 (at S. Oldham) Mitchell F Irvin Classic
Muhlenberg County 81 West Jessamine 71 (at Lexington Catholic) Traditional Bank Holiday Classic
Wednesday, December 28, 2016
Adair County 82 Mercer County 64 (Campbellsville High School Holiday Classic)
Boyle County 63 Lewis County 40 (at Montgomery County) Gateway Holiday Classic
Lex Christian 59 Lincoln County 50 (at Montgomery County) Gateway Holiday Classic
Pendleton County 80 East Jessamine 73 (Henry County Invitational)
Hazard 66 Garrard County 40 (at Leslie County) Hyden Bank Christmas Tournament
Casey County 79 Jeffersontown 61 (Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops Classic)
Pulaski County 74 Somerset 52 (Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops Classic)
Southwestern 83 Wayne County 81 (Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops Classic)
South Oldham 82 Danville 51 (Mitchell F Irvin Classic)
Buckhorn 85 McCreary Central 74 (Pine Mountain Classic)
Rockcastle County 80 Elizabethtown 77 (at Allen County-Scottsville) South Central Bank-Halton Classic
Rockcastle County 63 Allen County-Scottsville 57 (South Central Bank-Halton Classic)
West Jessamine 71 Marina, CA (at Lexington Catholic) Traditional Bank Holiday Classic
Thursday, December 29, 2016
Mercer County 67 Marion County 66 (Campbellsville High School Holiday Classic)
Boyle County 60 Worthington Kilbourne, OH 45 (at Montgomery County) Gateway Holiday Classic
Lincoln County 62 Montgomery County 44 (Gateway Holiday Classic)
East Jessamine 76 Frankfort 49 (Henry County Invitational)
Takes Creek 77 Garrard County 71 (at Leslie County) Hyden Bank Christmas Tournament
Pulaski County 87 Southwestern 72 (Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops Classic)
Upper man, TN 94 Casey County 66 (Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops Classic)
Wayne County 84 Somerset 74 (Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops Classic)
Dixie Heights 48 Danville 30 (at South Oldham) Mitchell F Irvin Classic
McCreary Central 78 South Floyd 63 (Pine Mountain Classic)
Rockcastle County 52 Springfield, TN 51 (at Allen County-Scottsville) South Central Bank-Halton Classic
West Jessamine 90 Sayre 66 (at Lexington Catholic) Traditional Bank Holiday Classic
Friday, December 30, 2016
Mercer County 82 Betsy Layne 24 (Campbellsville High School Holiday Classic)
McCreary Central 68 Morgan County 44 (Pine Mountain Classic)
Burgin 61 Trinity (Whitesville) 55
Up Coming Games:
Monday, January 2, 2017
Augusta at Burgin 7:30
Tuesday, January 3, 2017
Pulaski County at Boyle County 7:30
Lincoln County at East Jessamine 7:30
Danville at Mercer County 7:30
Somerset at Rockcastle County 7:30
Casey County at Wayne County 7:30
Thursday, January 5, 2017
Mercer County at Burgin 7:30
McCreary Central at Southwestern 7:30
Friday, January 6, 2017
Kentucky School f/t Deaf vs Atlanta School f/t Deaf (Kentucky Classic)
Piarist School t Burgin 7:30
Somerset at Casey County 7:30
Boyle County at Garrard County 7:30
Danville at Lincoln County 7:30
Rockcastle County at Pulaski County 7:30
East Jessamine at West Jessamine 7:45
Wayne County at Whitley County 7:30
Saturday, January 7, 2017
LaRue County vs Southwestern (at Central Hardin) Bluegrass Cellular New Year’s Eve Classic
Pulaski County vs North Hardin (at Central Hardin) Bluegrass Cellular New Year’s Eve Classic
Kentucky School f/t Deaf vs Illinois School f/t Deaf 8:30 (Kentucky Classic)
Kentucky School f/t Deaf vs Georgia School f/t Deaf 7:00 (Kentucky Classic)
Lincoln County vs Butler 5:15 (Whitfield Down Syndrome Classic)
Clay County at Boyle County 7:30
Burgin at Fort Knox 6:00