Inside the 12th Region 12-5-2016
12th Region Basketball
The first week of the season is in the books and there were a lot of great games throughout the 12th Region. Lincoln County’s first 2 games of the season are overtime thrillers, Pulaski County travel to Louisville Trinity, and other great games all in week one of the season. There were also some standout performances that sparked some intrigue across the region. Especially for Southwestern fans who witnessed their team make 18 of 22 3-point attempts in their win over George Rogers Clark and Peyton Gover of the Warriors scoring 39 points in that game. Noah Young also had a 31 point game for Lincoln County versus Lafayette and Trevon Faulkner had a double-double in his first game of the season for Mercer County scoring 30 points and grabbing 11 rebounds. Overall it was a great start to the 2016-2017 basketball season. Here are this week’s rankings and review for the 12th Region.
1) Pulaski County (1-1) – Pulaski traveled to Louisville this past weekend to open the season vs the #2 team in the state the Trinity Shamrocks. Although the Shamrocks handed Pulaski the loss, Landon Powell had a good game leading the Maroons with 22 points. The Maroons got their first win of the season at the Titan Classic in Harrodsburg over Bourbon County 82-64.
2) Southwestern (3-0) - The Warriors start the season 3-0 on some excellent 3-point shooting. In the game vs. George Rogers Clark, Southwestern shot 81% from behind the arch making 18 of 22 3-point shots. Peyton Gover led all scores with 39 points in the win and Peyton Cundiff added 20 points. The Warriors are going to be a high scoring team this season as they have averaged just shy of 82 points in their first 3 games.
3) West Jessamine (2-0) - The Colts start the season 2-0 with wins over Tates Creek and Garrard County. In the win over Tates Creek, West was led in scoring by Bradley Tullar with 19, Isaiah Okesson with 17, and Dalton Bruner with 17 points. This week the Colts will be taking on Danville and playing at Bardstown in the Bardstown Tip-Off Classic.
4) Lincoln County (2-1) – The Patriots took on the 47th District to start the season and came away with wins over Rockcastle County and Somerset. They also opened the season with a loss to Lafayette in overtime. In that game Noah Young scored 31 points and was 6-9 from 3-point range.
5) Rockcastle County (1-1) – Rockcastle has had to start the season without their top player Lucas Gentry. But, there is good news for the Rocket fans as he should be returning to the lineup in the next few weeks. In their opening win over Model, the Rockets had three players score 20+ points. Thomas Burnette had 25, John Cornelius had 22 and Carson Noble had 22 points for the Rockets.
6) Mercer County (2-1) – The Titans are off to a good start with wins over Shelby County and Owen County. In the win over Shelby County, Trevon Faulkner scored 30 points and brought down 11 rebounds for the Titans. Gunner Gillis added 12 points and 10 rebounds.
7) Wayne County (1-1) – The Cardinals used their opening week to take on a couple of team from Tennessee. In the game vs Clay County, TN, Jakson Baker and Aubry Weaver had 20 points apiece.
8) Casey County (0-2) – The Rebels have a tough early season schedule. They lost both games last week and are scheduled to play Southwestern, Mercer County, and Pulaski County this week.
9) Boyle County (0-2) – The Rebels had two losses in week 1 of the season. Bryce Slone was leading scorer for the Rebels with 17 points and 13 points in each game respectively. They hope to get a win this week as they take on East Jessamine and Knox Central.
10) McCreary Central (1-0) – The Raiders won their only game in the opening week over a 12th Region opponent in Danville. Devon Hamilton scored 27 points and had 17 rebounds for McCreary in the win. Hunter Jones added 16 points.
11) Somerset (0-2) – The Jumpers lost both games in week 1 to Estill County and Lincoln County. In the loss to Estill County Kross Grundy led in scoring with 17 points.
12) East Jessamine (1-2) – The Jaguars won their opening game vs Sayre but lost a heart breaker to Anderson County 82-84 in double overtime, one of the top ranked teams in the 8th Region.
13) Danville (0-1) – The Admiral’s football team just finished their season as 2A State Runner-Up.
14) Garrard County (0-2) – The Golden Lions lost to two of the top ranked teams in the 12th Region this week in Southwestern and West Jessamine.
15) Burgin (0-3) – The Bulldogs will be looking to get their first win of the season next week as the take on Campbellsville and Robertson County.
16) KY School f/t Deaf (1-2) – The Colonels went 1-2 at the Viking Classic hosted by the Tennessee School f/t Deaf.
Week 1 Results
Monday, November 28, 2016
Mercer County 78 at Shelby County 59
Tuesday, November 29, 2016
Bryan Station 60 at Boyle County 56
Clinton County 70 vs Casey County 56
East Jessamine 82 vs Sayre 73
Estill County 52 vs Somerset 47
Lafayette 70 at Lincoln County 69 OT
Rockcastle County at 78 Model 49
Southwestern 70 at Garrard County 58
St. Francis 60 vs Burgin 52
Wayne County 53 vs Pickett County, TN 42
West Jessamine 87 vs Tates Creek 57
Thursday, December 1, 2016
Clay County, TN 87 at Wayne County 78
Friday, December 2, 2016
Rose Hill Christian 49 at Burgin 48
Corbin 81 vs Mercer County 61 (at North Laurel)
Kentucky School f/t Deaf 28 Georgia School f/t Deaf 20
Anderson County 84 at East Jessamine 82 2OT
Lincoln County 64 at Rockcastle County 56 OT
McCreary Central 63 at Danville 49
Southwestern 81 vs Central Hardin 58
Trinity (Louisville) 101 vs Pulaski County 82
Woodford County 67 vs Boyle County 46
Saturday, December 3, 2016
Knott County Central 80 vs Casey County 77 (at North Laurel)
TN School f/t Deaf 57 vs Kentucky School f/t Deaf 22
N. Carolina School f/t Deaf 46 vs Kentucky School f/t Deaf 31
Southwestern 93 at George Rogers Clark 63
Brown 55 at Burgin 48
Pulaski County 82 vs Bourbon County 64 (at Mercer County)
Mercer County 72 vs Owen County 57
West Jessamine76 at Garrard County 35
Ryle 73 vs East Jessamine 66
Lincoln County 71 at Somerset 54
The Week Ahead in the 12th Region:
Monday, December 5, 2016
Washington County at Burgin 6:00
Barbourville at Rockcastle County 7:30
Tuesday, December 6, 2016
Southwestern at Casey County 7:30
West Jessamine at Danville 7:30
Boyle County at East Jessamine 7:30
Somerset at Glasgow 7:30
Berea at KY School f/t Deaf 8:00
Wayne County at Lincoln County 7:30
Garrard County at Washington County 7:30
Thursday, December 7, 2016
McCreary Central at Barbourville 6:00 Bowman Classic
Burgin at Campbellsville 7:30
Estill County at East Jessamine 7:30
Casey County at Mercer County 7:30
Friday, December 9, 2016
McCreary Central at Lynn Camp 8:00 Bowman Classic
KY School f/t Deaf vs Delaware School f/t Deaf 8:30 WPSD HC Classic
Knox Central at Boyle County 7:30
Casey County at Pulaski County 7:30
Rockcastle County at Somerset 7:30
Wayne County at Southwestern 7:30
Saturday, December 10, 2016
West Jessamine at Bardstown 7:15 Bardstown Tip-Off Classic
Marion County vs Southwestern 9:00 Bardstown Tip-Off Classic
Lincoln County vs Madison Southern 6:00 (at Madison Central) Central Bank Classic
Mercer County vs Paris 5:45 (at Bourbon County) Kentucky Bank Shootout
Henry Clay vs Pulaski County 7:30 (at Bourbon County) Kentucky Bank Shootout
Rockcastle County vs Corbin 4:00 (at Jackson County) PRTC Classic
Burin at Robertson County 4:30 Adidas Classic
KY School f/t Deaf at W. Pennsylvania School f/t Deaf 12:00 WPSD HC Classic
KY School f/t Deaf vs Ohio School f/t Deaf 7:00 WPSD HC Classic
East Jessamine at Beechwood 3:30
Hazard at Garrard County 7:30
Danville at Spencer County 7:30