Hoops Capitol of the World

View Poll Results: Where is the Mecca

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rucker Park

    7 10.00%
  • Venice Beach

    1 1.43%
  • Springfield College

    0 0%
  • Allen Fieldhouse

    4 5.71%
  • Rupp Arena

    14 20.00%
  • Cameron Indoor

    1 1.43%
  • The United Center

    0 0%
  • Madison Square Garden

    43 61.43%
  1. #1
    SnottieDrippen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 15
    Location
    Temecula
    Posts
    2,845

    Hoops Capitol of the World

    If Basketball were a country, which court/gym/arena would be its capitol city?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    44,450

    Of these choices, it's not even up for debate. It's MSG.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    848

    Gee, I wonder how this poll is going to turn out.

  4. #4
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    44,450

    Quote Originally Posted by Smallhoops View Post
    Gee, I wonder how this poll is going to turn out.
    Rucker and MSG are the only ones that should even be considered, IMO. One of those is a homer pick, and a couple others are just there to "justify" the homer pick.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    848

    I have been to seven of the eight (Springfield College being the sole exception). Anyone been to all eight?

  6. #6
    SnottieDrippen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 15
    Location
    Temecula
    Posts
    2,845

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Rucker and MSG are the only ones that should even be considered, IMO. One of those is a homer pick, and a couple others are just there to "justify" the homer pick.
    Even the homer pick is justified. I'd say these seven venues have seen more high-quality basketball players, coaches, and games than anywhere else on the globe can claim.

  7. #7
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    39,705

    How in the world did the United Center make the list? Maybe the Boston Garden, but no way the UC.

  8. #8
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    39,705

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Rucker and MSG are the only ones that should even be considered, IMO. One of those is a homer pick, and a couple others are just there to "justify" the homer pick.
    This!

  9. #9
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    44,450

    Quote Originally Posted by SnottieDrippen View Post
    Even the homer pick is justified.
    No it's not. No one outside the state of Kentucky looks at Rupp Arena as the mecca of basketball. Stop it.

  10. #10
    SnottieDrippen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 15
    Location
    Temecula
    Posts
    2,845

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    How in the world did the United Center make the list? Maybe the Boston Garden, but no way the UC.
    The Garden was considered, but who plays there now? Maybe replace UC with Staples if that suits you.

  11. #11
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,103

    Rucker Park is losing its place by the day.

    Gentrification has already completely re shaped the Heights and it's moving south.

    I think it's MSG.

  12. #12
    SnottieDrippen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 15
    Location
    Temecula
    Posts
    2,845

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    No it's not. No one outside the state of Kentucky looks at Rupp Arena as the mecca of basketball. Stop it.
    In the college game, the three heavyweights I mentioned are the three synonymous with winning basketball. Some people don't view the NBA as real basketball. Foolish as it seems, they probably wouldn't consider MSG near the top. So yeah, I think worldwide there would be more than a few who would name Rupp before MSG.

  13. #13
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    44,450

    Quote Originally Posted by SnottieDrippen View Post
    In the college game, the three heavyweights I mentioned are the three synonymous with winning basketball. Some people don't view the NBA as real basketball. Foolish as it seems, they probably wouldn't consider MSG near the top. So yeah, I think worldwide there would be more than a few who would name Rupp before MSG.
    I think you are delusional.

  14. #14
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    39,705

    Quote Originally Posted by SnottieDrippen View Post
    The Garden was considered, but who plays there now? Maybe replace UC with Staples if that suits you.

    Nah neither deserve to be on the list.

    NBA it's MSG
    College it's Allen Fieldhouse
    High School it's New Castle (IN) Fieldhouse

    I don't know enough about the current playground situations but historically it's Rucker Park.

  15. #15
    SnottieDrippen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 15
    Location
    Temecula
    Posts
    2,845

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    I think you are delusional.
    "The Greatest Show in Hoops" lead me to legitimately believe Rupp Arena is one of the premier venues in all of basketball.

    I'm a victim of 20+ years of conditioning. The KHSAA has programmed my conditioning. Even my conditioning has been conditioned.

Top Hoops Capitol of the World