Holy Cross 55 Newport 54 (9th region quarterfinals)

Page 2 of Final from BB&T... 46 comments | 5960 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    14,768

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelPops View Post
    Newport has the ball up 3 with 0:40 left.
    Ugh...that is tough.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    Baseball Nut 24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 10
    Posts
    1,781

    Holy Cross 15 15 13 12 - 55
    Newport 19 14 11 10 - 54

    Holy Cross-
    Schrand 18, 4 assts
    J. Niehaus 12, 6 rebs, 5 assts
    Zimmerman 9
    Knochelman 8, 7 rebs
    N. Niehaus 6
    Wood 2

    Newport-
    Harding 13, 8 rebs
    Burries 12
    Miller 12
    McGuire 10, 8 rebs
    White 7

    Rebounds
    HC - 31
    N- 38

    FTs
    HC - 7/10 - 70%
    N - 10/16 - 63%

    3 pts
    HC - 8/19 - 42%
    N - 4/13 - 31%

    Turnovers
    HC - 4
    N - 7

  3. #18
    Mustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 01
    Location
    Extreme Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    8,514

    Newport actually beat Holy Cross twice this season - Jan. 19 @ Newport - 84-66, and Jan. 26 in Latonia 83-67. These games were probably played without HC Point Guard Jordan Niehaus.

    Newport ran out to a quick 8-0 lead before the Indians fought back to tie it at 17-17.

    It seemed to me like Holy Cross was more patient than normal, controlled the pace, restricted Newport's run game, kept it close and found a way to win.

    Burris was a non-factor during the first half with only 2 points. Tried to take over the game late with some success, finished with 12.

    Huge win for Coach Schrand and the Indians.
    Frustrating loss for Coach Snapp who has had his share of them this season.

  4. #19
    Baseball Nut 24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 10
    Posts
    1,781

    Looking at Saturday's first semi final. The 2 teams met twice in regular season splitting the 2 games.

    Dec. 27th - Holy Cross won 61-58 in Ashland.

    Feb. 6th - Dixie won 81-68 (Niehaus DNP for HC).

  5. #20
    Baseball Nut 24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 10
    Posts
    1,781

    Mustang - Jordan Niehaus did not play in either of the first two games vs Newport prior to tonight.

  6. #21
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    152,736

    WoW Holy Cross!

    Congrats.

  7. #22
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,860

    Quote Originally Posted by MentschTrachtGottLacht View Post
    Oh man, the "we get no respect" gang can't be thrilled. I disagree with Pops, I think this is an upset. Holy Cross is solid, no doubt, but Newport should have had enough to get this game.

    Congrats to Coach Schrand and the boys -- happy for you Ryan.
    Absolutely an upset. If we are going by talent, I don't think one player for Holy Cross starts for Newport.

  8. #23
    AM I EVIL?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    465

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelPops View Post
    Newport has the ball up 3 with 0:40 left. Then had the ball ip 1 with 0:25 left. What happened? Missed FTs?
    Newport was 1/3 free throws with 1st miss coming on a 1 and 1. Schrand had a layup for 2. Then the 3 free throws by Zimmerman to win. All in last 40 seconds

  9. #24
    Mustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 01
    Location
    Extreme Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    8,514

    Quote Originally Posted by Baseball Nut 24 View Post
    Mustang - Jordan Niehaus did not play in either of the first two games vs Newport prior to tonight.
    As suspected!

  10. #25
    paNDA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Location
    Hebron
    Posts
    6,877

    Video on my FB for those who know me. I have no idea how to post here.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Feb 18
    Posts
    14

    Definitely a non call on the last drive. Can’t call that to end a big game. Fun game though after watching the first two blowouts between the teams. Holy Cross controlled the pace much better tonight and Newport never adjusted to faceguarding Burris. I got that last drive on my Snapchat sitting courtside if anyone wants to see it from a few feet away. tonyniehaus on snap

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Location
    Negan's Compound
    Posts
    3,847

    The only play I wasn’t thrilled with was with Newport up 53-50, Schrand droves and Harding blocks its off of Schrand out of bounds and HC retained possession. They follow that with a layup off the inbound to make it 53-52. I think that was a crucial call.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Feb 18
    Posts
    14

    Quote Originally Posted by NKYknowitall View Post
    The only play I wasn’t thrilled with was with Newport up 53-50, Schrand droves and Harding blocks its off of Schrand out of bounds and HC retained possession. They follow that with a layup off the inbound to make it 53-52. I think that was a crucial call.
    Yeah that was actually with the score 54-52 and a huge missed call if it did go off Schrand because after that they called a timeout and the next play was the Zimmerman deep 3 that he got fouled and made all 3 to take lead. I got that drive on my snap too but it’s hard to see if it goes off Schrand from my view definitely looked like it might have.

    So yeah Newport could be a little upset with ending and refs. Ball off Schrand then foul shooting 3 then non call on drive to end it. They had plenty of chances to win it with free throws and taking care of the ball though too so no one to blame but themselves I think.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Location
    Negan's Compound
    Posts
    3,847

    Quote Originally Posted by BigT44 View Post
    Yeah that was actually with the score 54-52 and a huge missed call if it did go off Schrand because after that they called a timeout and the next play was the Zimmerman deep 3 that he got fouled and made all 3 to take lead. I got that drive on my snap too but it’s hard to see if it goes off Schrand from my view definitely looked like it might have.

    So yeah Newport could be a little upset with ending and refs. Ball off Schrand then foul shooting 3 then non call on drive to end it. They had plenty of chances to win it with free throws and taking care of the ball though too so no one to blame but themselves I think.
    I won’t disagree.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Jan 18
    Posts
    76

    I've seen HC play twice. They don't pass the eye test on size, but they play as confident as any team I've watched. They throw in 3's from 26 ft like its a high percentage shot. Fun team to watch. Good for them!

Top