Highlands 50 Brossart 48

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 3.0
    Posts
    47,464

    Highlands 50 Brossart 48

    Stangs let this one slip away, but have to give credit to the Birds on a nice comeback.

    Brossart went the first 5 minutes of the final stanza without a point.

    I'll let @Mustang give his eloquent summary.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    24,524

    What was with 2 Birds players getting bloodied?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 3.0
    Posts
    47,464

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    What was with 2 Birds players getting bloodied?
    I never saw a thing.....just the aftermath.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    2,062

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboy13 View Post
    I never saw a thing.....just the aftermath.
    How was Nate Roberts and that high motor tonight?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    NKy
    Posts
    3,035

    Does the Macke kid play for Highlands? Haven’t heard anything about him. Decent player.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    5,797

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesport View Post
    Does the Macke kid play for Highlands? Haven’t heard anything about him. Decent player.
    Junior varsity, not cleared by khsaa

  7. #7
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    24,524

    Birds pick up 4th win in a row.

    Any stats from game?

  8. #8
    Mustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 01
    Location
    Extreme Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    8,042

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboy13 View Post
    I'll let @Mustang give his eloquent summary.
    Nothing eloquent forthcoming from me on this one.

    We played about as well as we could in the first period, where it appeared our quickness and rim-runs were too much for the Birds to contain, as the Mustangs pushed out to a 21-9 lead and appeared on the way to a blow-out victory. We should have known better as nothing has ever come easy for the Mustangs in the City of Beautiful Homes.

    The second and third quarters were complete contrasts, as we were limited to 8 and 9, while the Birds enjoyed 13-8 and 11-9 advantages to cut the Mustangs edge to 38-35.

    Then, as Lawnboy so adeptly pontificated, the dreaded five minute drought gave the Birds momentum and a 45-38 lead before the Mustangs offense re-joined the period, already in progress.

    In the final three minutes, Brossart's Zach Hamberg hit a pair of three pointers, and Ethan Eilerman followed up on a Bryan Duffy miss to make things interesting as we neared the finish line.
    IMO the big play of the late fourth quarter was a very ill-advised 3-Point goal by Alex Starkey. Sometimes ill-advised shots fall, and this might have been the deciding factor in the contest.

    Down 49-48 with 29.2 seconds to play the Mustangs were unable to get a high percentage shot off and an ensuing free-throw made the final score 50-48.

    The Mustangs will lay off for exams and a Senior Retreat and surface next Friday in the Swauger Classic at Bellevue High School where we will face Ryle at 5pm.

    Birds head to Mason County on the 21st.

    BB: Schumacher 2 (9 Rbds), Donnelly 12, C.Schirmer 4,Duffy 4, MacDonald 2, E.Eilerman 12, Hamberg 10, Bell 2
    Totals: 14-4- 8/12-48............3-4.......0-3

    H: Roberts 2, Hegge 3, Gabbard 12, Huber 3, Leigh 5, Noe 2, Starkey 12, Gulley 4, Schoellman 7
    Totals: 13-5-9/20-50............4-4........2-1

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Posts
    2

    Starkey hit a big shot when he needed to. Nothing ill advised about it.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    3,436

    Quote Originally Posted by KySports21 View Post
    Starkey hit a big shot when he needed to. Nothing ill advised about it.
    Defn. of ill-advised shot: An attempt from the field that as the player prepares to release the ball "oh, crap" is the dominant thought that flashes through the coach's mind.

  11. #11
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    24,524

    I coached Alex when he was in grade school and he was the master at ill-advised shots. I can't tell you how many times I would say Nooooooo.....Yes!!! High motor and very aggressive but shot selection was always scary. I love hearing how he hit the big shot. Sometimes you have kids who are afraid to take a shot. That is not Alex Starkey and I will take that all day long.

    Congrats to Alex and the Birds!

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Posts
    2

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldercoach View Post
    Defn. of ill-advised shot: An attempt from the field that as the player prepares to release the ball "oh, crap" is the dominant thought that flashes through the coach's mind.
    He was wide open, so I really wouldn't consider it an ill advised shot. It was a very good look.

  13. #13
    Mustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 01
    Location
    Extreme Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    8,042

    Ill-Advised in this context - Simply making a coaching point.
    Probably not what Coach Listerman wanted in that particular time and situation. Agree he was wide open, BUT his team had the ball, were ahead by two possessions, were in the double-bonus, and would have probably been better served playing for a layup, higher percentage two-pointer or a pair of free-throws.

    Hitting the "ili-advised" shot, moved the Birds much closer to icing the game and may have proved the difference. Missing that particular "3" (and others that were taken) and a Brossart rebound, could have also proved fatal.

    All wide-open looks are not smart shots, depending on the situation.

    Just sayin...................

  14. #14
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    59,229

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    Nothing eloquent forthcoming from me on this one.

    We played about as well as we could in the first period, where it appeared our quickness and rim-runs were too much for the Birds to contain, as the Mustangs pushed out to a 21-9 lead and appeared on the way to a blow-out victory. We should have known better as nothing has ever come easy for the Mustangs in the City of Beautiful Homes.

    The second and third quarters were complete contrasts, as we were limited to 8 and 9, while the Birds enjoyed 13-8 and 11-9 advantages to cut the Mustangs edge to 38-35.

    Then, as Lawnboy so adeptly pontificated, the dreaded five minute drought gave the Birds momentum and a 45-38 lead before the Mustangs offense re-joined the period, already in progress.

    In the final three minutes, Brossart's Zach Hamberg hit a pair of three pointers, and Ethan Eilerman followed up on a Bryan Duffy miss to make things interesting as we neared the finish line.
    IMO the big play of the late fourth quarter was a very ill-advised 3-Point goal by Alex Starkey. Sometimes ill-advised shots fall, and this might have been the deciding factor in the contest.

    Down 49-48 with 29.2 seconds to play the Mustangs were unable to get a high percentage shot off and an ensuing free-throw made the final score 50-48.

    The Mustangs will lay off for exams and a Senior Retreat and surface next Friday in the Swauger Classic at Bellevue High School where we will face Ryle at 5pm.

    Birds head to Mason County on the 21st.

    BB: Schumacher 2 (9 Rbds), Donnelly 12, C.Schirmer 4,Duffy 4, MacDonald 2, E.Eilerman 12, Hamberg 10, Bell 2
    Totals: 14-4- 8/12-48............3-4.......0-3

    H: Roberts 2, Hegge 3, Gabbard 12, Huber 3, Leigh 5, Noe 2, Starkey 12, Gulley 4, Schoellman 7
    Totals: 13-5-9/20-50............4-4........2-1
    Lawnboy is Catholic?

    Who knew?

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    3,436

    Quote Originally Posted by KySports21 View Post
    He was wide open, so I really wouldn't consider it an ill advised shot. It was a very good look.
    Sorry, didn't see the shot. Nothing in the defn mentions wide open, or not. Just the thought that ran through Listerman's mind is the sole determining factor.

Top