Gates City (VA) 70 Fern Creek 67

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 16
    Posts
    489

    Gates City (VA) 70 Fern Creek 67

    Another early game in the consolation bracket for the Tigers as they played a (6-1) Gates City HS out of Virginia led by Georgetown Hoya commit, Mac McClung. McClung lived up to his billing as he torched Fern Creek for 44 points which followed a 40 point performance in his previous game. If he scores 38 in his final game tomorrow he becomes the all time leading scorer of the Arby's Classic that has been around 35 years.

    It was a close game that Gate City prevailed due to hitting free throws down the stretch. Leading scorers for Fern Creek were Anthony Wales with 27, Clint Wickliffe with 17, and Ahmad Price with 14. A key play was a free throw violation with under a minute to go that wiped away a Fern Creek made shot. Still down 1 they needed to foul and Gates City hit both. Fern Creek goes 1-2 this week after winning the KOB on Saturday.
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    10,326

    Nice report---thanks.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    1,033

    Quote Originally Posted by coachlee View Post
    Another early game in the consolation bracket for the Tigers as they played a (6-1) Gates City HS out of Virginia led by Georgetown Hoya commit, Mac McClung. McClung lived up to his billing as he torched Fern Creek for 44 points which followed a 40 point performance in his previous game. If he scores 38 in his final game tomorrow he becomes the all time leading scorer of the Arby's Classic that has been around 35 years.

    It was a close game that Gate City prevailed due to hitting free throws down the stretch. Leading scorers for Fern Creek were Anthony Wales with 27, Clint Wickliffe with 17, and Ahmad Price with 14. A key play was a free throw violation with under a minute to go that wiped away a Fern Creek made shot. Still down 1 they needed to foul and Gates City hit both. Fern Creek goes 1-2 this week after winning the KOB on Saturday.
    Nothing to be ashamed of....Gate City is a good team and McClung is the real deal.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 16
    Posts
    489

    Quote Originally Posted by dognation2 View Post
    Nothing to be ashamed of....Gate City is a good team and McClung is the real deal.
    Yes he is the real deal. Look how good Andrew Taylor and Adam Kunkel are here in the state of Kentucky scoring the ball, my choices as the state's best pure scorers. They are dominant players and have both earned great scholarships to Furman & Belmont respectively. Those are nice D1 programs, but this McClung is on a different level. He is going to Georgetown Hoyas for a reason. He is much like those two except even more explosive. His dunk the other night was the #1 Sportscenter Top 10 play and he is a 3 point shooter with unbelievable range.

    Fern Creek lost 2 games by a total of 4 points to teams that had each only lost 1 game apiece on the season. It was disappointing after winning the KOB, but not as bad as it looks on surface considering everything.

  5. #5
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    87,873

    I hate the loss for Fern Creek but after seeing so many highlight videos of McClung it is great to know that he is much more than a highlight video long and that his game and team are legit. Seeing some of his competition in the videos had me wondering but knowing that they beat Fern Creek helps give more perspective on his talent and how good his team is.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 16
    Posts
    489

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    I hate the loss for Fern Creek but after seeing so many highlight videos of McClung it is great to know that he is much more than a highlight video long and that his game and team are legit. Seeing some of his competition in the videos had me wondering but knowing that they beat Fern Creek helps give more perspective on his talent and how good his team is.
    I am not sold on the team as much as McClung. If you stop him they really only have one more player named Irvin. In today's game Irvin had 21. After 3 quarters nobody else had even scored except those two guys. They ended up with 65 of the team's 70 points. 3 free throws were scored from others because FC was fouling them at the end to put them on the line. Somebody else scored on a missed FT putback. They are the epitome of a team with a superstar that carries the load.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    1,033

    Quote Originally Posted by coachlee View Post
    I am not sold on the team as much as McClung. If you stop him they really only have one more player named Irvin. In today's game Irvin had 21. After 3 quarters nobody else had even scored except those two guys. They ended up with 65 of the team's 70 points. 3 free throws were scored from others because FC was fouling them at the end to put them on the line. Somebody else scored on a missed FT putback. They are the epitome of a team with a superstar that carries the load.
    He's strong and extremely athletic....he gets his 3 off with ease, and he gets to the rim because of his strength. He is a difficult guard.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 16
    Posts
    489

    Quote Originally Posted by dognation2 View Post
    He's strong and extremely athletic....he gets his 3 off with ease, and he gets to the rim because of his strength. He is a difficult guard.
    I also love the fact the young man stayed in his high school when he could have went to any Prep School Basketball Factory in the country. He chose to stay with his team and friends in Rural Virginia. Hats off to him, I am now a big fan.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 15
    Location
    Richmond KY
    Posts
    1,530

    McClung is defiantly next level on the court, skill and strength a hard combination to stop.

    Fern Creek showing the caliber of team they are, even in these losses. They are still my pick to hoist the trophy at Rupp, and playing games like this won't do anything but help that.

  10. #10
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    144,997

    Quote Originally Posted by coachlee View Post
    Another early game in the consolation bracket for the Tigers as they played a (6-1) Gates City HS out of Virginia led by Georgetown Hoya commit, Mac McClung. McClung lived up to his billing as he torched Fern Creek for 44 points which followed a 40 point performance in his previous game. If he scores 38 in his final game tomorrow he becomes the all time leading scorer of the Arby's Classic that has been around 35 years.

    It was a close game that Gate City prevailed due to hitting free throws down the stretch. Leading scorers for Fern Creek were Anthony Wales with 27, Clint Wickliffe with 17, and Ahmad Price with 14. A key play was a free throw violation with under a minute to go that wiped away a Fern Creek made shot. Still down 1 they needed to foul and Gates City hit both. Fern Creek goes 1-2 this week after winning the KOB on Saturday.
    Thanks for the summary @coachlee

  11. #11
    DukeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Location
    Northern Virginia/Harrisonburg via Hebron. GCL South apologist.
    Posts
    270

    According to a YouTube video that had highlights of this game, Fern Creek’s coach said to McClung while he was at he free throw line “You’re going to Georgetown to sit”. If that’s true, that’s terrible.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 16
    Posts
    489

    Quote Originally Posted by DukeDog View Post
    According to a YouTube video that had highlights of this game, Fern Creek’s coach said to McClung while he was at he free throw line “You’re going to Georgetown to sit”. If that’s true, that’s terrible.
    Backstory here is that Young Mac is a player that is not above talking a little smack when he is scoring on you. He is a prolific scorer and lets whoever is defending him know that they can't hold him. I have alway felt if you want to stop a player talking smack you need to stop him from scoring or at least take the ball right back to him and score yourself to talk a little smack back. The game had that going on and Fern Creek had one of their own scoring at a high clip too. What the Coach said is that if you don't play defense you will go to Georgetown to sit. Not defending the coach one way or the other, just giving the backdrop.

  13. #13
    mooremiller31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    Frankfort, KY
    Posts
    1,290

    Sounds like whichever coach it was needs to worry about his own kids playing defense if he's giving up 44.....

  14. #14
    DukeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Location
    Northern Virginia/Harrisonburg via Hebron. GCL South apologist.
    Posts
    270

    Quote Originally Posted by coachlee View Post
    Backstory here is that Young Mac is a player that is not above talking a little smack when he is scoring on you. He is a prolific scorer and lets whoever is defending him know that they can't hold him. I have alway felt if you want to stop a player talking smack you need to stop him from scoring or at least take the ball right back to him and score yourself to talk a little smack back. The game had that going on and Fern Creek had one of their own scoring at a high clip too. What the Coach said is that if you don't play defense you will go to Georgetown to sit. Not defending the coach one way or the other, just giving the backdrop.
    Yep. I've watched a few videos of him and he definitely isn't afraid to chirp. But the coach should've just let his players do the talking. Thanks for the added info, though!

  15. #15
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    87,873

Top