Final USA Today Expert Rankings - CovCath 25th

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    Looking California, and feeling Minnesota...
    Posts
    9,236

    Final USA Today Expert Rankings - CovCath 25th

    Didn't see this posted anywhere, but CovCath finished the season ranked 25th in the country by the USA Today Expert staff:

    Boys Basketball Rankings
    1 Montverde Academy, Montverde, FL 35 - 0 - 0
    2 University School (Fort Lauderdale), Fort Lauderdale, FL 36 - 2 - 0
    3 Findlay Prep, Henderson, NV 32 - 5 - 0
    4 Memphis East, Memphis, TN 29 - 3 - 0
    5 Imhotep Charter, Philadelphia, PA 31 - 2 - 0
    6 LaLumiere, LaPorte, IN 23 - 5 - 0
    7 Shadow Mountain, Phoenix, AZ 25 - 2 - 0
    8 DeMatha, Hyattsville, MD 32 - 5 - 0
    9 Oak Ridge, Orlando, FL 30 - 4 - 0
    10 Roselle Catholic, Roselle, NJ 29 - 4 - 0
    11 Garfield, Seattle, WA 28 - 2 - 0
    12 Brentwood Academy, Brentwood, TN 25 - 5 - 0
    13 Wasatch Academy, Mt. Pleasant, UT 24 - 2 - 0
    14 Paul VI Fairfax, VA 33 - 4 - 0
    15 Bishop Gorman, Las Vegas, NV 29 - 4 - 0
    16 Sierra Canyon, Chatsworth, CA 27 - 4 - 0
    17 Lone Peak, Highland, UT 23 - 4 - 0
    18 Gonzaga Prep, Spokane, WA 27 - 0 - 0
    19 Olympus, Salt Lake City, UT 27 - 0 - 0
    20 Mountain Brook, Birmingham, AL 34 - 4 - 0
    21 Upson-Lee, Thomaston, GA 32 - 0 - 0
    22 Cretin-Derham Hall St. Paul, MN 30 - 2 - 0
    23 IMG Academy, Bradenton, FL 23 - 4 - 0
    24 Belleville-West, Belleville, IL 32 - 2 - 0
    25 Covington Catholic, Park Hills, KY 34 - 4 - 0

    USA Today Sports Super 25 Expert Rankings

    Interesting to note that #5 Imhotep Charter, PA and #25 CovCath had one common oppenent, Cincinnati Moeller.

    Here were the scores to those games:

    Imhotep Charter, PA 47 - Moeller 44
    Covington Catholic 58 - Moeller 53
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 17
    Posts
    57

    Oak Hill isn’t even on this list...?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    24,360

    Quote Originally Posted by Metcalfe2010 View Post
    Oak Hill isn’t even on this list...?
    You beat me to it, I was thinking the exact same thing.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,563

    Congrats to the Colonels!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    2,102

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan41 View Post
    You beat me to it, I was thinking the exact same thing.
    Ditto

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    NKy
    Posts
    3,115

    First team in Greater Cincy to finish in USA Today Top 25 I am told by one of the coaches.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    Looking California, and feeling Minnesota...
    Posts
    9,236

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesport View Post
    First team in Greater Cincy to finish in USA Today Top 25 I am told by one of the coaches.
    That surprises me.

  8. #8
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    141,583

    It is a nice honor for CovCath!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    NKy
    Posts
    3,115

    Quote Originally Posted by colonel-fan View Post
    That surprises me.
    Likewise. Good times in Park Hills.

  10. #10
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,117

    Oak Hill was 44-2 and held two teams scoreless. How do they not crack the top 25?

  11. #11
    Walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Location
    Union, KY
    Posts
    15,155

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesport View Post
    First team in Greater Cincy to finish in USA Today Top 25 I am told by one of the coaches.
    08/09 .... Jordan Sibert and Princeton finished #25 in the USA Today poll.

    25. Princeton, Cincinnati (25-2)

    Previous: 15. Results: Lost to then-No. 16 Northland (Columbus) 60-58 in state Division 1 title game despite 21 points by Jordan Sibert. Defeated St. Johns (Toledo) 55-41 as Marquis Horne scored 18 points.


    Findlay leads final Super 25 after national tourney win - USATODAY.com

    The OJ Mayo-Bill Walker teams were definitely ranked top 25 nationally during their 3peat...05/06 Bill Walker led North College Hill to a #3 final ranking.

    3. North College Hill, Cincinnati (26-1)
    Previous: 3. Highlight: Beat Villa Angela-St. Joseph (Cleveland) 90-73 to win Division III for second consecutive season.


    USATODAY.com

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    NKy
    Posts
    3,115

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    08/09 .... Jordan Sibert and Princeton finished #25 in the USA Today poll.

    25. Princeton, Cincinnati (25-2)

    Previous: 15. Results: Lost to then-No. 16 Northland (Columbus) 60-58 in state Division 1 title game despite 21 points by Jordan Sibert. Defeated St. Johns (Toledo) 55-41 as Marquis Horne scored 18 points.


    Findlay leads final Super 25 after national tourney win - USATODAY.com

    The OJ Mayo-Bill Walker teams were definitely ranked top 25 nationally during their 3peat...05/06 Bill Walker led North College Hill to a #3 final ranking.

    3. North College Hill, Cincinnati (26-1)
    Previous: 3. Highlight: Beat Villa Angela-St. Joseph (Cleveland) 90-73 to win Division III for second consecutive season.


    USATODAY.com
    I thought the coach was wrong. I’m surprised those are the only ones. Seems like we’ve had some great teams over the years in this area.

  13. #13
    Walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Location
    Union, KY
    Posts
    15,155

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesport View Post
    I thought the coach was wrong. I’m surprised those are the only ones. Seems like we’ve had some great teams over the years in this area.
    Those teams come to mind off the top of my head from covering hoops and being in high school around the same time.

    Holmes finished in the MaxPreps XCellent 25 the year they won state and the USA Today top 40 poll the previous year when they lost to Darius and Mason Co in the state finals.

    Pretty sure Covcath finished in the same two polls the year they won state, but not sure of the final rankings for each.

    2004 Moeller team is another one that could have possibly finished in the top 25. I know they were in the USA Today top 10 at one point during the season.

  14. #14
    DukeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Location
    Northern Virginia/Harrisonburg via Hebron. GCL South apologist.
    Posts
    270

    Awesome to see two WCAC teams in there!

  15. #15
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    21,221

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    Oak Hill was 44-2 and held two teams scoreless. How do they not crack the top 25?
    Do each of the ranked schools only have 9th-12th graders? Perhaps Oak Hill isn't included because they have 5th year players? I have no idea, just throwing out possibilities...

Top