Cooper 57 Ryle 40

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    68

    Cooper 57 Ryle 40

    Could have been much worse. It appeared as if Ryle was trying to minimize the damage more than win. Very slow paced. Very strange game to watch, trying to play slow against a team that was perfectly comfortable playing slow.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    147,558

    What kind of crowd did they have at the game?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    68

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    What kind of crowd did they have at the game?
    Great question! Wasn't going to comment on it. Sparse on the home side would be generous. Cooper seemed to have a nice turnout.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Posts
    489

    It looked like it was hard for the Jags to stay focused and play. They looked bored with the game also.

  5. #5
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    703

    Are people convinced David McFarland can coach winning teams AND / or develop players and create a winning culture? For those that are, I'd be interested to hear their thoughts.

    I swear, I think Tim Sullivan should write a book on developing players and building a winning culture. What he has done at Cooper has been so much fun to watch. If CovCath never hires Scott Ruthsatz, and had instead gone with another local guy to follow Listerman, Sullivan may have had the run the last 6 or so years that Coach Ruthsatz has had.

    All of that said, while the end-result of this game isn't shocking, I think at some point you have to be honest about whether or not David McFarland is ever going to be able to build a winning program and culture out in Union.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    1,069

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    Are people convinced David McFarland can coach winning teams AND / or develop players and create a winning culture? For those that are, I'd be interested to hear their thoughts.

    I swear, I think Tim Sullivan should write a book on developing players and building a winning culture. What he has done at Cooper has been so much fun to watch. If CovCath never hires Scott Ruthsatz, and had instead gone with another local guy to follow Listerman, Sullivan may have had the run the last 6 or so years that Coach Ruthsatz has had.

    All of that said, while the end-result of this game isn't shocking, I think at some point you have to be honest about whether or not David McFarland is ever going to be able to build a winning program and culture out in Union.
    This was said about the previous coach at Ryle, when he either got fed up and stopped coaching or was let go. I think Tim Sullivan is a tremandous coach, a former Bulldog as I am, but he, as Coach Ruthsatz has a tremendous amount of talent the last few years. Don't get me wrong, I think they are both great coaches as well as good guys. I have saw Ryle play twice this year, they have a couple of nice players, but not a lot of scorers. I am sure Coach McFarland knows more about basketball than most of us on here, we are all entidled to our opinion, I just get frustrated hearing people complain about high school coaches, who give up a ton of family time and usually not a ton of pay, most coaches do it for the passion, I say let coaches, coach, players, play, and let parents enjoy the game and feel blessed they have a solid guy like David McFarland be their coach and enjoy the high school years, they go so fast.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    68

    Quote Originally Posted by allsport71 View Post
    This was said about the previous coach at Ryle, when he either got fed up and stopped coaching or was let go. I think Tim Sullivan is a tremandous coach, a former Bulldog as I am, but he, as Coach Ruthsatz has a tremendous amount of talent the last few years. Don't get me wrong, I think they are both great coaches as well as good guys. I have saw Ryle play twice this year, they have a couple of nice players, but not a lot of scorers. I am sure Coach McFarland knows more about basketball than most of us on here, we are all entidled to our opinion, I just get frustrated hearing people complain about high school coaches, who give up a ton of family time and usually not a ton of pay, most coaches do it for the passion, I say let coaches, coach, players, play, and let parents enjoy the game and feel blessed they have a solid guy like David McFarland be their coach and enjoy the high school years, they go so fast.
    Are you serious? The question was can he develop players and cultivate a winning culture. IT IS HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL. He doesn't have scorers because they stop playing. He has to START kids that should not be playing substantial minutes off of the bench. He has no bench to turn to. This is his debacle. Not the parents and certainly not the kids. He has 4 kids that made the decision not to play after their sophomore year. 2 would be starters and the other 2 would be the first 2-3 subs. He doesnt have talent is absolutely true, because he doesnt develop players not cultivate a winning culture. Your cavalier attitude that it doesnt really matter is a slap in the face to every kid playing and every coach working their tails off to win. Family time is a choice, the compensation is a choice.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    1,069

    Quote Originally Posted by leititgo33 View Post
    Are you serious? The question was can he develop players and cultivate a winning culture. IT IS HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL. He doesn't have scorers because they stop playing. He has to START kids that should not be playing substantial minutes off of the bench. He has no bench to turn to. This is his debacle. Not the parents and certainly not the kids. He has 4 kids that made the decision not to play after their sophomore year. 2 would be starters and the other 2 would be the first 2-3 subs. He doesnt have talent is absolutely true, because he doesnt develop players not cultivate a winning culture. Your cavalier attitude that it doesnt really matter is a slap in the face to every kid playing and every coach working their tails off to win. Family time is a choice, the compensation is a choice.
    I am serious, no place in my post did I say, it didn't matter. I guess times have just changed. Kids used to tuff it out, now days they just stop playing, these are life lessons, if people quit working when things didn't go right, we would all probably be staying at home. I love high school sports, I am in a gym most nights, a football field when it's in season, a ball field when it's in season, I would never say it does not matter. I just don't think any high school coach should be constantly put down publicly, have a problem, go see that coach in private. I notice every time Ryle losses, you are the first one to post about it. I am on many post, mostly Holmes, but I try and be positive on all my post, I won't debate back and forth with you on here. I have said more than I usually do. I truly hope Ryle gets some wins and we can all enjoy some high school ball.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    68

    Quote Originally Posted by allsport71 View Post
    I am serious, no place in my post did I say, it didn't matter. I guess times have just changed. Kids used to tuff it out, now days they just stop playing, these are life lessons, if people quit working when things didn't go right, we would all probably be staying at home. I love high school sports, I am in a gym most nights, a football field when it's in season, a ball field when it's in season, I would never say it does not matter. I just don't think any high school coach should be constantly put down publicly, have a problem, go see that coach in private. I notice every time Ryle losses, you are the first one to post about it. I am on many post, mostly Holmes, but I try and be positive on all my post, I won't debate back and forth with you on here. I have said more than I usually do. I truly hope Ryle gets some wins and we can all enjoy some high school ball.
    Inaccurate. Tough to post on the wins, however did make sure to post that score as well. Sounds like we want the same thing, wins for Ryle.

  10. #10
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    147,558

    Everyone can debate this in another thread that you will need to title correctly.

    This is a game thread...

Top