Cooper 51 Covington Catholic 38 (9th Region Championship)

Page 7 of Congrat to the Cooper Jags on their 1st ever trip to Rupp Arena. Colonels just couldn't buy a basket tonight. Advertisement 0 0 0    ... 139 comments | 20194 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #91

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    right here at my desk
    Posts
    823

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboy13 View Post
    Jake's missed gimmes weren't as concerning as some of the others. His moves with his back to the basket were VERY strong, unfortunately some just rolled out. He had quite a few more opportunities, but chose to pass it out........why????? Coaches directive or lost confidence......?????, either way his game has improved this season and I'd be willing to bet he improves greatly over the summer.
    This.

    Got the ball several times at the block, made a nice turn to the basket, only to throw it out to the line. Puzzling.

    I'm not as hard on him as several are. I think it's obvious that he is told to "cause no harm". He certainly is not a point of emphasis, but that's probably more a result of stellar options in CVH and CJ.

    Entire team had more of a "play not to lose" than a "play to win" mentality. Very deliberate.
    Advertisement

  2. #92

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    3

    One of the few times I have seen CCH out coached. I would have liked to see CVH or Fredrick in the middle of the zone when attacking it 2-1-2 (which CCH rarely did). I think their shooting/passing/attacking ability could have caused problems.

    Kudos to Sullivan going to it with Cooper's athleticism and length. Went against Sully plenty of times during my playing days when he was an assistant at Holmes. Always had great respect for his style of play and the way he teaches it.

    Much respect to CVH. I'll take that guy on my team all day long.

    Coach R will circle the wagons and have the boys back next year.

    Good Luck to Cooper the rest of the way.

  3. #93

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    right here at my desk
    Posts
    823

    For years, we've seen tenacious m2m defense from the Colonels, with CVH often asked to face guard the head of whatever snake they were playing. Against the majority of opponents, that is effective when the drop off from stud to the rest is significant.

    The athleticism at all five positions for Cooper prevented that option.

  4. #94
    Hellbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    20,864

    Quote Originally Posted by NKYknowitall View Post
    How does Walter not get more than 6 as big as he is? He HAS to be utilized every trip down the floor, period. If not, he's a wasted talent. Hopefully the big fella can take over next year.
    It's called Defense, Defense, Defense. Even though people bring it up every year that Coach Sully always has one of the best defenses in the area as that is what he strives for, too many people take it as just a cliche or something. Everytime they shut down a player who is always a high scoring threat on the opponents team people always ask what happened or just assume he had an off night. It is Coopers defense that should get most of the credit game in and game out. You want to know why Walter had such a low scoring game? Credit goes entirely to Cooper's defense for putting that doubt in Walters head during the game. Apparently it sounds like Cooper purposely decided to play very physical against the big man and it worked.

  5. #95

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    478

    Quote Originally Posted by NKYknowitall View Post
    How does Walter not get more than 6 as big as he is? He HAS to be utilized every trip down the floor, period. If not, he's a wasted talent. Hopefully the big fella can take over next year.
    I think defense and the lack of including him into the offense. I thought they used him early to run plays to, i don't believe they did in the 2nd half.

  6. #96
    Hellbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    20,864

    Quote Originally Posted by justsayin View Post
    For years, we've seen tenacious m2m defense from the Colonels, with CVH often asked to face guard the head of whatever snake they were playing. Against the majority of opponents, that is effective when the drop off from stud to the rest is significant.

    The athleticism at all five positions for Cooper prevented that option.
    Great point about CCH's defense and what they usually do. I seriously think last year when CCH tried to face guard S McNeil the entire game and came up with a L to Cooper was a wake up call to Coach R where he learned S McNeil wasn't the only force he had to deal with. Actually I think that game specifically was the game that A Kunkel emerged as the threat that he is. You are 100% correct though that CCH's defense when they only have to shut down one stud and their opponents tend to not have an answer is the way they've gone since Coach R has been there. Teams deep in talent can give that type of D all kinds of trouble.

  7. #97

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    478

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    Just heard CJ suffered a concussion without knowing in the first half. Apparently he had a bloody nose but it was more serious. Hope he gets better and has a great Spring/Summer.
    It had to be something because he was just not shooting like he we have normally seen. Hope he gets better soon. Super nice player.

  8. #98

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    478

    Also, I so wanted to bring back the thread "Is CovCath on the verge of the Greatest 9th Region Dynasty Ever?" but it appears to be closed. To soon?

  9. #99

    Join Date
    Nov 15
    Posts
    203

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    It's called Defense, Defense, Defense. Even though people bring it up every year that Coach Sully always has one of the best defenses in the area as that is what he strives for, too many people take it as just a cliche or something. Everytime they shut down a player who is always a high scoring threat on the opponents team people always ask what happened or just assume he had an off night. It is Coopers defense that should get most of the credit game in and game out. You want to know why Walter had such a low scoring game? Credit goes entirely to Cooper's defense for putting that doubt in Walters head during the game. Apparently it sounds like Cooper purposely decided to play very physical against the big man and it worked.
    Cooper's D is swarming for sure...BUT...had nothing to do with Walter's low scoring. He's been low scoring all year. He seems to be a anomaly for his size. Great hands, great this, great that, but never seems to look to score. Is that a coaching thing or a player thing?

  10. #100
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    15,423

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    Just heard CJ suffered a concussion without knowing in the first half. Apparently he had a bloody nose but it was more serious. Hope he gets better and has a great Spring/Summer.
    So he played with a concussion, thats going to go over well.

  11. #101

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Location
    Negan's Compound
    Posts
    2,624

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    It's called Defense, Defense, Defense. Even though people bring it up every year that Coach Sully always has one of the best defenses in the area as that is what he strives for, too many people take it as just a cliche or something. Everytime they shut down a player who is always a high scoring threat on the opponents team people always ask what happened or just assume he had an off night. It is Coopers defense that should get most of the credit game in and game out. You want to know why Walter had such a low scoring game? Credit goes entirely to Cooper's defense for putting that doubt in Walters head during the game. Apparently it sounds like Cooper purposely decided to play very physical against the big man and it worked.
    This is not a knock on Cooper. I LOVE their style of play. It's more of a knock on CovCath as it seems to have been that way with him all year. Of course I could be wrong on that.

  12. #102

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Location
    Negan's Compound
    Posts
    2,624

    Quote Originally Posted by FeelingGood View Post
    I think defense and the lack of including him into the offense. I thought they used him early to run plays to, i don't believe they did in the 2nd half.
    It's been that way all year I believe. It's almost as if he's solely out there just to take up space. The kid is ginormous and rarely gets the ball. He has to touch it every time down, period.

  13. #103

    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Posts
    270

    Quote Originally Posted by BFritz View Post
    CCH got outcoached.

    They had no answer for the zone and didn't even try to adapt all game, they just did the same thing over and over.

    Congrats to Cooper.
    The definition of insanity.

  14. #104

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    9

    Everyone should stop saying Walters needs to touch the ball everytime down the court. If you saw the game, he received plenty of touches. He scored 5 points in the first few minutes of the game and nothing after that. He either missed contested shots or immediately passed the ball out of the post. But there was no question he received numerous touches.
    Considering the number of points resulting from those touches, you might ask if he received too many touches in this game. I am not debating that, just point out that lack of touches for Walter was not the issue last night.

  15. #105

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    3

    Congrats to Cooper, outplayed CCH and all aspects of the game. Surprised at CCH coach's lack of ability to adjust offense to attack the 1-3-1 zone. It is ironic that coming into the game, the question was how will Cooper handle CCH's size and in the end it was Cooper's size on top of the 1-3-1 that was the difference. Putting the ball in the CCH point's hands and having him go to/around the much taller defender was a key to the W. Not being critical of the kid, but the coach's son did not have his best game and his dad did him no favors in putting him in that position... offensively and defensively.

Top