Carson Williams and Larry Bird

Page 4 of Originally Posted by Bengal Maniac No thanks needed for me. I could be wrong and just value others opinions. Now, do I think he is as good as Bird was ... 208 comments | 11434 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,128

    I like the premise of the thread. Having not seen Larry Bird play in high school I am intrigued by the opinion of the original poster. We all know stories of guys that were amazing high school players that disappeared on the big stage of college basketball. No reason why the same can't happen in reverse. I like this thread. I'm very interested.
    Advertisement

  2. #47
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,128

    I mean if we really want to break it down Larry's numbers suggest he was a slightly above average jump shooter and I'm thinking Carson is more athletic than Larry Legend.

  3. #48
    tark the shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Maryland Parkway at the In-N-Out Burger
    Posts
    1,245

    When Carson was a Sophomore, my friend (high basketball IQ) told me he was better than Boone County's Dave Dinn at the same age. I thought that was a great compliment. I saw Carson play last year against the Juggs, had a solid game.

    I can buy Dave Dinn, but Larry Legend is a different atmosphere.

  4. #49
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    I mean if we really want to break it down Larry's numbers suggest he was a slightly above average jump shooter and I'm thinking Carson is more athletic than Larry Legend.
    Larry was effective from every range at putting the biscuit in the basket. Every range. That's not the case for Carson, or 99.9% of all high school players in the nation.

  5. #50

    Join Date
    Jan 16
    Posts
    639

    I understand the sentiment but would prefer to stay away from any comparisons at this point. So much work and so many challenges ahead - many of which will be out of the young man's control.

    I hope the kid turns out to be a great player and makes it to the bigs - and becomes known as the first "Carson Williams."

  6. #51

    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 3.0
    Posts
    47,462

    I might start a thread comparing NewCath's Ben Weyer to NewCath alum and Boston Celtic great Dave Cowens, but it wouldn't be fair to Mr. Cowens since he didn't play basketball at NewCath until his junior year.

  7. #52

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    1,140

    It's crazy to start a thread with a title like this one. A lot has been said about making that type of comparison. To Purple Pride's point, I am just going to focus on the comparison of their games at the levels we've all seen them play (high school vs NBA).

    Why the Bird comparison? They both play/played for small high schools and had great careers. They both played as hard as you'll see anyone play. They were both well-liked in their home states. Those are the similarities.

    Bird was a 6'9" wing that was known for his great perimeter shooting and passing and, while he played hard, he was a finesse player. He was less than athletic. Williams is an undersized power forward that is really strong and powerful and is very athletic. Very good when receiving the ball in transition. Their skill sets are radically different.

    So, if you want to talk about similar players, the MUCH better comparison is Charles Barkley. Nothing wrong with that one and it makes much more sense. He's a top 50 and is one of my favorite players of all time (and is definitely my favorite NBA analyst).

  8. #53
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboy13 View Post
    I might start a thread comparing NewCath's Ben Weyer to NewCath alum and Boston Celtic great Dave Cowens, but it wouldn't be fair to Mr. Cowens since he didn't play basketball at NewCath until his junior year.
    Exactly, it would be like us comparing you to this guy:


  9. #54
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,128

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    Larry was effective from every range at putting the biscuit in the basket. Every range. That's not the case for Carson, or 99.9% of all high school players in the nation.
    No argument there. How good was Larry in high school though? We all know high school and college Michael Jordan wasn't anywhere near NBA Michael Jordan. Isn't it possible for Carson to be further along than Larry Legend as a high school player but never comparable in college?

  10. #55
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,416

    Reading some of these comments has almost turned me into the next Roy Tarpley.

  11. #56
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    No argument there. How good was Larry in high school though? We all know high school and college Michael Jordan wasn't anywhere near NBA Michael Jordan. Isn't it possible for Carson to be further along than Larry Legend as a high school player but never comparable in college?
    Sure. I like when you play devil's advocate. You know my affinity for him better than most. Larry is a top 10 player of all time. ALLLLLLL TIIIIIIIIME

  12. #57
    tark the shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Maryland Parkway at the In-N-Out Burger
    Posts
    1,245

    How would Carson be compared to Elijah Pittman? I know a better attitude is a given, but I saw Elijah drop 20 on UK a few years ago. Any thoughts???

  13. #58
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    14,768

    In the last two days on this site I've read that Carson is better than Skal, Briscoe, the Harrison Twins, Rex Chapman and on par with Larry Legend.

    Yeah, I think we are doing a great job of keeping things in perspective.

  14. #59
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    14,768

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    Reading some of these comments has almost turned me into the next Roy Tarpley.
    You're at your best on BGP when you let the snarky out. Keep it coming!!

  15. #60
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,534

    Quote Originally Posted by MentschTrachtGottLacht View Post
    In the last two days on this site I've read that Carson is better than Skal, Briscoe, the Harrison Twins, Rex Chapman and on par with Larry Legend.

    Yeah, I think we are doing a great job of keeping things in perspective.
    You forgot Charles Barkley...

Top