Bracken County's new coach: Jason Hinson

Page 3 of Originally Posted by Slap Happy69 If it was who cares? The Bracken program has been down hills for the last 5 years. Politics had a big part of that. F... 96 comments | 12564 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    polarbear98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    The Igloo, and the Glacier
    Posts
    4,028

    It appears that some one may be a little bitter and trying to stir the pot.

    Im sure Coach Hinson will have great people around him as assistants helping him prepare these kids what great coach dosent? To think he is a one man show is crazy. He is a great leader and gets 110% out of each and every kids that plays for him. That cant be denied and yes he has great assistants that will focus on certain parts of the game. But Jason is the mastermind and all decisions are his at the end of the day.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Apr 15
    Posts
    33

    Quote Originally Posted by OpieTaylor View Post
    ...so what you're suggesting is that he does what most successful leaders do- hire well qualified people to assist/work with them. Kudos to him!
    Again, I'm leery but also interested to see what he can do without them.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Apr 15
    Posts
    33

    Quote Originally Posted by polarbear98 View Post
    It appears that some one may be a little bitter and trying to stir the pot.

    Im sure Coach Hinson will have great people around him as assistants helping him prepare these kids what great coach dosent? To think he is a one man show is crazy. He is a great leader and gets 110% out of each and every kids that plays for him. That cant be denied and yes he has great assistants that will focus on certain parts of the game. But Jason is the mastermind and all decisions are his at the end of the day.
    Let's get something clear here, If you are directing your comment at me I am not bitter nor do I have any reason to be. I don't have a dog in this fight, just sharing my knowledge and the way I have seen things unfold. One of my first posts here included a congrats to him landing the Bracken job. Problem is you people act like he's Rick Pitino or something.

    Those kids at a Augusta play hard because they have enormous passion for the game and get a thrill out of being "underdogs."
    Last edited by Spectator52; Apr 23, 15 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Spelling

  4. #34
    polarbear98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    The Igloo, and the Glacier
    Posts
    4,028

    As did your first post say "overrated". Apparently his peers felt him deserving of 10th region COY. I Am sure his assistants at Augusta were vital to the teams success as you stated. It does take good assistants to be successful but you are quick to take credit from Hinson. And to imply that Augusta wanted him to leave is a little out there. Ask that team and especially those 3 seniors if they wanted to have a new coach for their final season. I'd say probably not. But thanks for sharing your "knowledge" on the situation and I for one look forward to your future post.

    Ohh and welcome to the site.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Apr 15
    Posts
    33

    Thank you! I also look forward to your posts and many others. I have lingered around this site for many years and figured what the heck I'll join.

    I don't want to take anything away from Jason Hinson. Regardless of what I feel or the things I know about his coaching he has good intentions and definitely isn't a bad person.

    As for the players, I'm sure they aren't thrilled about having a new coach come on board for their last year. At the same time though I think some things would surprise you. The success during the Hinson years was great but over the past season he was tolerated, especially by the school staff. The constant thought of him "jumping ship" so to speak I believe was aggravating for them.

    So even with all that going on the players went out and played hard. That's a real testament to how good the three junior's attitudes are. They really are good kids. I believe Hinson leaving will give them valuable experience from another coach and promote more growth. The only team they worried about for the upcoming season was Mason, now they'll have to work hard to overcome Hinson's knowledge of their game since he'll be an opponent. This will be interesting.

    There is no denying that I love watching Augusta play. The athleticism Snapp displays is impressive; that kid is strong. He is also a huge asset under the basket. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

    Also, Hinson leaving will probably be a good thing for Crawford. I feel like he is underrated because Hinson didn't promote him like he did Snapp and Maddox. That kid is very athletic, has superb ball handling skills, footwork and his defense is almost perfect. He isn't greedy and can really move the ball and is really basketball smart; he knows the game. Now he doesn't shoot a lot but that's because Hinson told him not to. Hopefully he'll open up this season with a new coach.

    Now Maddox, I don't know what will become of him. Lets be honest, if he isn't knocking down 3's he is kind of useless. His ball handling is so-so and he caused many turn overs last season and missed tons of shots. Hinson couldn't break him of that. Hopefully someone else will and force him to work on his defense too.


    This season will be interesting for both Bracken and August. I'm pumped.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Mar 09
    Posts
    351

    Part of being a successful coach includes having assistants who can compliment your strengths. Just because a coach isn't an X and O or game management guy doesn't mean he doesn't excel at other vital areas of coaching, such as motivation, player development, and overall program organization.

    IMO, the most important parts of the job at programs like St. Patrick, Bracken Co and Augusta would be developing the young talent and making them BELIEVE that they can beat the Mason Countys, GRCs, Montgomerys, Harrisons, or at their Class A level, Bishop Brossarts. Until those two things are put into place, X's and O's aren't going to matter as much.

    Changing the culture!

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Feb 09
    Posts
    1,008

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectator52 View Post
    Thank you! I also look forward to your posts and many others. I have lingered around this site for many years and figured what the heck I'll join.

    I don't want to take anything away from Jason Hinson. Regardless of what I feel or the things I know about his coaching he has good intentions and definitely isn't a bad person.

    As for the players, I'm sure they aren't thrilled about having a new coach come on board for their last year. At the same time though I think some things would surprise you. The success during the Hinson years was great but over the past season he was tolerated, especially by the school staff. The constant thought of him "jumping ship" so to speak I believe was aggravating for them.

    So even with all that going on the players went out and played hard. That's a real testament to how good the three junior's attitudes are. They really are good kids. I believe Hinson leaving will give them valuable experience from another coach and promote more growth. The only team they worried about for the upcoming season was Mason, now they'll have to work hard to overcome Hinson's knowledge of their game since he'll be an opponent. This will be interesting.

    There is no denying that I love watching Augusta play. The athleticism Snapp displays is impressive; that kid is strong. He is also a huge asset under the basket. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

    Also, Hinson leaving will probably be a good thing for Crawford. I feel like he is underrated because Hinson didn't promote him like he did Snapp and Maddox. That kid is very athletic, has superb ball handling skills, footwork and his defense is almost perfect. He isn't greedy and can really move the ball and is really basketball smart; he knows the game. Now he doesn't shoot a lot but that's because Hinson told him not to. Hopefully he'll open up this season with a new coach.

    Now Maddox, I don't know what will become of him. Lets be honest, if he isn't knocking down 3's he is kind of useless. His ball handling is so-so and he caused many turn overs last season and missed tons of shots. Hinson couldn't break him of that. Hopefully someone else will and force him to work on his defense too.


    This season will be interesting for both Bracken and August. I'm pumped.
    Another classic post bashing yet another player, will never know for sure but without that awful player you speak of Augusta doesn't accomplish what they have these last 4 years. And it sure looks like you joined just to grind your ax.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Apr 15
    Posts
    33

    Quote Originally Posted by All Blue View Post
    Another classic post bashing yet another player, will never know for sure but without that awful player you speak of Augusta doesn't accomplish what they have these last 4 years. And it sure looks like you joined just to grind your ax.
    You're kidding right? Another post bashing a player? Sorry I wasn't aware I bashed one before this. Anyhow, just stating the facts.

    Maddox had an awful season last year and Hinson did nothing to help him. He threw up these wild shots every game. After a while a coach needs to take control of the situation because he was doing more harm than good. He was way off. Sure, Freshman and Sophmore years were great but living in the past is just that, the past.

    A different sport, but it's kind of like all this celebration going on about the 25th Anniversary of the Reds World Series win. Like really? Instead of focusing on that win why don't we focus on why they haven't brought a championship home in 25 years?
    Last edited by Spectator52; Apr 23, 15 at 03:04 PM.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Apr 15
    Posts
    33

    I would also like to add how does constructive criticism turn into having an axe to grind? Trust me I have absolutely nothing to gain by posting my thoughts on this forum. Also, I'm not belittling or making personal attacks against anyone here or these players.

    But I guess if you're a person who "goes against the grain" you're attacked. If you have a criticism your thoughts are disregarded because they don't follow the group think of this forum. Were you at every Augusta game last year? Or the year before? I was.

    Also you must have completely ignored all the positives I had to say. Augusta is a good team but I know they can be better.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    270

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectator52 View Post
    Well, when you know who is actually making the calls and writing the plays you see things differently than most.

    Hinson couldn't even spell defense until he started working with one of his assistants he has at Augusta. That's a fact.

    So I'm feeling a little leery about what he can do on his own.
    His 1-2-2 trap tore up Pendlton, Fleming, and Bracken at the end of the '09 season and then gave GRC fits in the region tournament. Season before that he implemented a very complex defense that upended Harrison County, bothered a very good MoCo team, and absolutely destroyed Fleming County in FNB classic. Season before that he put in a trap defense that shut down Dakota Euton and Chad Jackson etc. etc.................................

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    270

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectator52 View Post
    You're kidding right? Another post bashing a player? Sorry I wasn't aware I bashed one before this. Anyhow, just stating the facts.

    Maddox had an awful season last year and Hinson did nothing to help him. He threw up these wild shots every game. After a while a coach needs to take control of the situation because he was doing more harm than good. He was way off. Sure, Freshman and Sophmore years were great but living in the past is just that, the past.

    A different sport, but it's kind of like all this celebration going on about the 25th Anniversary of the Reds World Series win. Like really? Instead of focusing on that win why don't we focus on why they haven't brought a championship home in 25 years?
    18 pts a game and 43% from the field, what I wouldn't have given to have a season that awful

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Apr 15
    Posts
    33

    Quote Originally Posted by mtb19 View Post
    18 pts a game and 43% from the field, what I wouldn't have given to have a season that awful
    You can look at individual stats all you want. So by that figure he missed 57% of his shots, correct? I will tell you that with at least 30% of those missed shots there was another player wide open in scoring position. And I don't mean any player in particular I just mean there was someone open. Being at the game is much different than looking at stats.

  13. #43
    polarbear98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    The Igloo, and the Glacier
    Posts
    4,028

    I'm with All Blue on this one. By your post you seem to have some kind of agenda by the post you are making. First you discredited Coach Hinson next your talking about Austin taking too many shot or in your words "one man team" now you the loyal Augusta fan are taking shots at one of your own saying he's not much unless he's hitting 3's. Wow. I'll take Conner Maddox and his 43% 3pt fg% and 18ppg on my team any day.

    Is little Johnny not getting enough playing time or maybe he is the one you are referring to that is wide open on some of these questionable Maddox shots? Is that why you are glad Jason Hinson is out as the coach maybe the new coach will call little Johnny's number more?

    Granted I didnt attend all the Augusta games last season but I seen enough to know that Maddox was a scorer and should have the ball in his hands. It's one thing to be upset at a coach but them kids don't des your kid of "corrective" criticism. They run the plays they are told to run as deemed the best play by the coaching staff. Now if you believe you have the best offensive and defense game plan out there to take those kids to levels Hinson could not take them to submit your resemue and apply for the vacancy.

    I'm not even an Augusta fan but I don't think a person should say those things about a player that has been nothing but Clutch in the district last three years and region 2 yrs ago. Kid done nothing but play hard and broke the 1000 pts threshold in his Jr. yr


  14. #44

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    270

    Quote Originally Posted by polarbear98 View Post
    I'm with All Blue on this one. By your post you seem to have some kind of agenda by the post you are making. First you discredited Coach Hinson next your talking about Austin taking too many shot or in your words "one man team" now you the loyal Augusta fan are taking shots at one of your own saying he's not much unless he's hitting 3's. Wow. I'll take Conner Maddox and his 43% 3pt fg% and 18ppg on my team any day.

    Is little Johnny not getting enough playing time or maybe he is the one you are referring to that is wide open on some of these questionable Maddox shots? Is that why you are glad Jason Hinson is out as the coach maybe the new coach will call little Johnny's number more?

    Granted I didnt attend all the Augusta games last season but I seen enough to know that Maddox was a scorer and should have the ball in his hands. It's one thing to be upset at a coach but them kids don't des your kid of "corrective" criticism. They run the plays they are told to run as deemed the best play by the coaching staff. Now if you believe you have the best offensive and defense game plan out there to take those kids to levels Hinson could not take them to submit your resemue and apply for the vacancy.

    I'm not even an Augusta fan but I don't think a person should say those things about a player that has been nothing but Clutch in the district last three years and region 2 yrs ago. Kid done nothing but play hard and broke the 1000 pts threshold in his Jr. yr

    ^This

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Apr 15
    Posts
    33

    Quote Originally Posted by polarbear98 View Post
    I'm with All Blue on this one. By your post you seem to have some kind of agenda by the post you are making. First you discredited Coach Hinson next your talking about Austin taking too many shot or in your words "one man team" now you the loyal Augusta fan are taking shots at one of your own saying he's not much unless he's hitting 3's. Wow. I'll take Conner Maddox and his 43% 3pt fg% and 18ppg on my team any day.

    Is little Johnny not getting enough playing time or maybe he is the one you are referring to that is wide open on some of these questionable Maddox shots? Is that why you are glad Jason Hinson is out as the coach maybe the new coach will call little Johnny's number more?

    Granted I didnt attend all the Augusta games last season but I seen enough to know that Maddox was a scorer and should have the ball in his hands. It's one thing to be upset at a coach but them kids don't des your kid of "corrective" criticism. They run the plays they are told to run as deemed the best play by the coaching staff. Now if you believe you have the best offensive and defense game plan out there to take those kids to levels Hinson could not take them to submit your resemue and apply for the vacancy.

    I'm not even an Augusta fan but I don't think a person should say those things about a player that has been nothing but Clutch in the district last three years and region 2 yrs ago. Kid done nothing but play hard and broke the 1000 pts threshold in his Jr. yr

    I don't even know where to begin with this reply but I'll start with Hinson: Yes I still believe he's an overrated coach

    Austin Crawford: Yes he is a one man team. If he wasn't, why would he be "possibly" looking at changing schools? He needs a team to compliment his talents.

    Maddox: Look, I'm not trying to tear this kid apart by any means. If it looks that way, I apologize. If you like one person handling the ball the entire game even when they shouldn't, good for you. When all of your players on the court are talented, MOVE the ball. That's the way I see it and that's much more beneficial. It is ludicrous to me to watch a player go down the court, sometimes fighting multiple opponents while he has competent players open and then give the ball away.

    And as for me having a little Johnny on the team, NO. I guess when someone speaks up with the truth others must find a way to attack that person. You are wasting your breath gentlemen and or ladies. (That wasn't sarcasm, some of you may be)

    I keep forgetting that around here, highest scorer = best player. Whatever people. When I look at players I look at their individual efforts PLUS their involvement with other players on the team. I think you would be hard pressed to find a college scout who would pick him up. That's the big picture. I would want a Team oriented player, not an "I" or "Me" player. This isn't golf. A team is "Us"

    And in the words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that!"

Top