Bracken County announces Athletic Hall of Fame

Page 2 of Feburary 2nd, 2018 PRESS RELEASE: For Immediate Release Bracken County High School would like to announce the formation of the Bracken County High Scho... 48 comments | 5106 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    43,265

    Quote Originally Posted by brooksville View Post
    Yes. Also who will be in the 10th Region Hall of Fame.
    Fox19 News is going to be at the game covering things tonight.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    4,497

    Wonderful idea and apparently extremely well structured on the front side. I see two potential challenges: 1). With only 5 per year going in, won't 72 years of no HOF have a ton of worthy, early decade athletes probably go unrecognized? 2). Thought everyone in Bracken County was related somehow (if not by blood, then by marriage) creating more familial conflicts than expected.

    Maybe problem #1 could be addressed by initially some kind of recognition by decades with an enrollee from each 40's, 50's, etc. Don't forget fewer people around to nominate some of those deserving athletes and less access to stats, historical articles, etc. After some time frame, maybe 5(?) years of inductions the decades concept could be phased out. As to Problem #2, good luck with that one Committee Chairman as you are probably related to everyone else on the Committee. Small County with strong bonds keeps a lot of people close to home. Makes Bracken County a great place to raise a family.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Jan 07
    Posts
    7,275

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldercoach View Post
    Wonderful idea and apparently extremely well structured on the front side. I see two potential challenges: 1). With only 5 per year going in, won't 72 years of no HOF have a ton of worthy, early decade athletes probably go unrecognized? 2). Thought everyone in Bracken County was related somehow (if not by blood, then by marriage) creating more familial conflicts than expected.

    Maybe problem #1 could be addressed by initially some kind of recognition by decades with an enrollee from each 40's, 50's, etc. Don't forget fewer people around to nominate some of those deserving athletes and less access to stats, historical articles, etc. After some time frame, maybe 5(?) years of inductions the decades concept could be phased out. As to Problem #2, good luck with that one Committee Chairman as you are probably related to everyone else on the Committee. Small County with strong bonds keeps a lot of people close to home. Makes Bracken County a great place to raise a family.
    Was thinking the same thing about all that you mentioned above when first heard about this idea, by the time Austin Crawford and Bailey Cummings go in, they may have grand children. Also, unless they know what they are doing, by naming it the BC Athletic HOF instead of Basketball HOF, I can already hear the complaints rolling in:
    Who goes in for baseball?
    football?
    volleyball?
    softball?
    cross country?
    cheerleading?
    archery?

    Oh my

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Location
    10th Region
    Posts
    1,073

    Quote Originally Posted by All In View Post
    Also, unless they know what they are doing, by naming it the BC Athletic HOF instead of Basketball HOF, I can already hear the complaints rolling in:
    Who goes in for baseball?
    football?
    volleyball?
    softball?
    cross country?
    cheerleading?
    archery?

    Oh my
    If they don’t get nominated, they don’t even have a chance. There are many people from multiple sports.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    4,497

    Hope Bracken has as much success with their program as Harrison Co. has enjoyed with theirs. Full-scale annual installation banquets with room popping attendance. Takes a lot of well meaning and involved program supporters to make something like this successful. It can add a ton of pride to an already proud school and its' alumnae. Wishing BC nothing but success.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    766

    From the “modern era” Eli Florer has to be near the top of the list. Excelled in football and baseball and was a solid contributor in basketball.

  7. #22
    Bandit29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Rooting against the Cubs!!!
    Posts
    2,556

    Quote Originally Posted by Pi View Post
    From the “modern era” Eli Florer has to be near the top of the list. Excelled in football and baseball and was a solid contributor in basketball.
    Eli should be in pretty quickly. One of the biggest contributors in the BIG 3 sports from the last decade. Probably all time home run leader and leader in tackles in football.

  8. #23
    sumoroyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Maysville, KY
    Posts
    10,810

    The big horse Eddie Hopkins should most definitely be in there.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Location
    10th Region
    Posts
    1,073

    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit29 View Post
    Eli should be in pretty quickly. One of the biggest contributors in the BIG 3 sports from the last decade. Probably all time home run leader and leader in tackles in football.
    He will be eligible in 2024. Great athlete, his dad (Stacey Florer) and grand-dad (Bobby Florer) are both in the 1,000 point club.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Location
    10th Region
    Posts
    1,073

    Just to name a few that are eligible-
    Basketball Players:
    Warren Cooper, Pete Hause, Dave Hampton, Eddie Hopkins, John Rice, Clyde Cooper, Albert Cummins, Larry Wood
    Molly Linville, Amy Flaugher, Annie Mains, Shelia Hamilton
    Coaches: Jarvis Parsley, Herman Hale, David Hamilton, Tony Johnson, Gary Clayton
    Baseball: Herb Mofford, Albert Cummins, Larry Wood
    Softball: Amy Flaugher

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    7,445

    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit29 View Post
    Eli should be in pretty quickly. One of the biggest contributors in the BIG 3 sports from the last decade. Probably all time home run leader and leader in tackles in football.
    I would say this is likely not true. Several really good players and teams preceded him. Although stats may be tough to come by.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    7,445

    Quote Originally Posted by brooksville View Post
    Just to name a few that are eligible-
    Basketball Players:
    Warren Cooper, Pete Hause, Dave Hampton, Eddie Hopkins, John Rice, Clyde Cooper, Albert Cummins, Larry Wood
    Molly Linville, Amy Flaugher, Annie Mains, Shelia Hamilton
    Coaches: Jarvis Parsley, Herman Hale, David Hamilton, Tony Johnson, Gary Clayton
    Baseball: Herb Mofford, Albert Cummins, Larry Wood
    Softball: Amy Flaugher
    Ashley Hause as well. 1000 point club and runner up to Mr. Baseball in 1995.

  13. #28
    Bandit29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Rooting against the Cubs!!!
    Posts
    2,556

    Quote Originally Posted by LCDAWGS19 View Post
    I would say this is likely not true. Several really good players and teams preceded him. Although stats may be tough to come by.
    Would say these are pretty easy to prove and leading in those two categories should make him a lock!

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    7,445

    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit29 View Post
    Would say these are pretty easy to prove and leading in those two categories should make him a lock!
    His number would be easy to prove. His predecessors? Not so much. I’m not discounting his legitimacy as a candidate at all.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Location
    10th Region
    Posts
    1,073

    Quote Originally Posted by LCDAWGS19 View Post
    His number would be easy to prove. His predecessors? Not so much. I’m not discounting his legitimacy as a candidate at all.
    Off and on teams from from 1920’s. Records back til the 80’s but they are not recorded, maybe I’ll do that if I get bored. My dad played in 83. Only played 10-15 games back then.

Top