1. #1
    Premium Member Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    18,441

    Default Boys Sweet Sixteen Teams Tracker

    Which teams have qualified for the Sweet Sixteen? Tell us the team, region, who they beat to win their region and a little about the team.

  2. #2
    Premium Member mexitucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    10,951
    9th- Boone Co.

  3. #3
    Premium Member spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    Limit on the last day,,perfect.
    Posts
    39,875
    3,7,13,15,16 all will be decided tonight. Rest tomorrow.

  4. #4
    Premium Member Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    18,441
    So Boone County is the only team in but will joined by several more tonight.

    Boone County finished the season ranked #1 in the N. Ky. Coaches poll but was still a clear underdog in the 9th region tournament, especially after losing the district title game. Boone County is one of the more fundamentally sound teams you will ever see. They have excellent guards, play solid defense, turn the ball over very little and are one of the best free throw shooting high school teams you will ever see. They are senior dominated and very smart. They beat Holmes in round 1, Lloyd in round 2 and a much taller team in Newport Central Catholic in the regional title game. Boone is a team that will not look nearly as good on paper as they will on the court. Nothing flashy. Great execution of fundamental team basketball.

  5. #5
    Premium Member spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    Limit on the last day,,perfect.
    Posts
    39,875
    My guess is that Boone will be taking on Knott Central (of course I originally thought Perry Central would win that one). Looking forward to watching that matchup.

  6. #6
    Premium Member mexitucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    10,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    So Boone County is the only team in but will joined by several more tonight.

    Boone County finished the season ranked #1 in the N. Ky. Coaches poll but was still a clear underdog in the 9th region tournament, especially after losing the district title game. Boone County is one of the more fundamentally sound teams you will ever see. They have excellent guards, play solid defense, turn the ball over very little and are one of the best free throw shooting high school teams you will ever see. They are senior dominated and very smart. They beat Holmes in round 1, Lloyd in round 2 and a much taller team in Newport Central Catholic in the regional title game. Boone is a team that will not look nearly as good on paper as they will on the court. Nothing flashy. Great execution of fundamental team basketball.
    Boone's only issue is depth in the post. If McQuearry can stay out of foul trouble, he is a tough matchup for other teams bigs. After him, they are offensively challenged down there.

  7. #7
    Premium Member Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    18,441
    Quote Originally Posted by mexitucky View Post
    Boone's only issue is depth in the post. If McQuearry can stay out of foul trouble, he is a tough matchup for other teams bigs. After him, they are offensively challenged down there.
    I wouldn't be surprised to hear the combo of Carr and Palmer have scored more points in the paint than McQueary has this year. But you are right, McQueary is the one player Boone can not afford to get in foul trouble.

  8. #8
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Location
    Flemingsburg
    Posts
    160
    Boone has a shot in the first round, no matter who wins the 14th.

  9. #9
    Premium Member statman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    Covington, KY
    Posts
    2,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    So Boone County is the only team in but will joined by several more tonight.

    Boone County finished the season ranked #1 in the N. Ky. Coaches poll but was still a clear underdog in the 9th region tournament, especially after losing the district title game. Boone County is one of the more fundamentally sound teams you will ever see. They have excellent guards, play solid defense, turn the ball over very little and are one of the best free throw shooting high school teams you will ever see. They are senior dominated and very smart. They beat Holmes in round 1, Lloyd in round 2 and a much taller team in Newport Central Catholic in the regional title game. Boone is a team that will not look nearly as good on paper as they will on the court. Nothing flashy. Great execution of fundamental team basketball.
    I was also impressed with their rebounding overall...guards who aren't afraid to go after it.

  10. #10
    Moderator JokersWild24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    9,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    So Boone County is the only team in but will joined by several more tonight.

    Boone County finished the season ranked #1 in the N. Ky. Coaches poll but was still a clear underdog in the 9th region tournament, especially after losing the district title game. Boone County is one of the more fundamentally sound teams you will ever see. They have excellent guards, play solid defense, turn the ball over very little and are one of the best free throw shooting high school teams you will ever see. They are senior dominated and very smart. They beat Holmes in round 1, Lloyd in round 2 and a much taller team in Newport Central Catholic in the regional title game. Boone is a team that will not look nearly as good on paper as they will on the court. Nothing flashy. Great execution of fundamental team basketball.
    Can you provide any approximate heights for players that are in the rotation?

  11. #11
    Premium Member Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    19,540
    Quote Originally Posted by JokersWild24 View Post
    Can you provide any approximate heights for players that are in the rotation?
    Boone County Starters

    Chase Stanley #3 Senior 5'8 155
    Cooper Downs #4 Senior G 5'9 160
    Jakeith Pitts #15 Senior 5'7" 0
    Kenaan Palmer #24 Senior F 5'11 165
    Zane McQueary #35 Senior F 6'5 200

  12. #12
    Moderator JokersWild24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    9,989
    With Rowan County now in, anyone who was in attendance last year should be aware of their tandem. Adam Wing (Evansville signee) is a forward who caught fire from 3 on Saturday morning. His teammate D.J. Townsend is a quick guard who can score and distribute.

    Haven't gotten to see Rowan County this year, but from watching them last year, I would think that they are going to miss their other guard from last year more than people may realize. He was the Senior starter in 2011 whose name is escaping me at the moment; I'm thinking he wore #32 or #11.

  13. #13
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    10,253
    7th-Trinity-took out St. X
    RockPride likes this.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    3,699
    Welcome these 2 squads to Rupp

    13th Region: North Laurel

    15th Region: Johnson Central

  15. #15
    Moderator gold sunrise's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 02
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    43,848
    3rd Apollo

    16th Rowan Co

  16. #16
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Posts
    139
    Four of the six (Apollo, Boone Co., North Laurel, and Johnson Central) to qualify for the Sweet 16 lost the finals of their district. Wonder if that is the most for one state tournament field?

  17. #17
    Registered User wire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by JokersWild24 View Post
    With Rowan County now in, anyone who was in attendance last year should be aware of their tandem. Adam Wing (Evansville signee) is a forward who caught fire from 3 on Saturday morning. His teammate D.J. Townsend is a quick guard who can score and distribute.

    Haven't gotten to see Rowan County this year, but from watching them last year, I would think that they are going to miss their other guard from last year more than people may realize. He was the Senior starter in 2011 whose name is escaping me at the moment; I'm thinking he wore #32 or #11.
    Darrell Cross

  18. #18
    Premium Member Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    18,441
    Of the champs who lost the district championship, which result was unexpected - losing the district title or winning the region title?

  19. #19
    Premium Member Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    18,441
    Heading into Tuesday night, it looks like this is where we stand:


    Rowan County R16 ........ Mar 14 12:00 PM
    North Laurel R13

    Region 12 ......................Mar 14 1:30 PM
    Region 2

    Region 6 ....................... Mar 14 6:30 PM
    Trinity (Louisville) R7

    Apollo R3 ...................... Mar 14 8:00 PM
    Region 10


    Region 4 ...................... Mar 15 12:00 PM
    Region 8

    Boone County R9.............Mar 15 1:30 PM
    Region 14

    Region 1 ...................... Mar 15 6:30 PM
    Region 11

    Region 5 ...................... Mar 15 8:00 PM
    Johnson Central R15

  20. #20
    Moderator Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    37,945
    I was looking at the Sweet 16 contest for this year. With 6 regions determined, it looks like the best score thus far is 3 out of 6 (33 participants total). Those five are:

    PurplePride92 (of all the people...)
    jahearme
    OldRef
    SealTeam2
    cityboy

    Several of us have 2 out of 6. A smattering of others have 1. And I saw one or two that had 0. I didn't see anyone who had picked Apollo, Boone County or North Laurel to win their regional. I was wondering how I was doing in the contest & thought I'd check on everyone else too. These are by no means official & are subject to error. I just wanted to give a little update. I couldn't bring it to the top, so here's a link to the picks:

    http://bluegrasspreps.com/boys-baske...-a-231222.html
    Last edited by Randy Parker; Mar 6, 12 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Incorrect # of regions already determined...h/t to statman


Tags for this Thread