As week two ends in the 16th Region the picture isn’t much clearer for positions 3-13. Ashland and Boyd County both have proved to be as talented and capable as expected, with Ashland putting up a dominating performance against a talented Capital WV team. Past that the teams have proven that they can win/lose against the same team from one night to the next. Thus far it seems the ability to knock down shots with consistency will determine the winner on any given night.
1. Ashland (4-0) – Ashland went 3-0 for the week including a most impressive beating of Capital from Charleston WV. Ashland got a big performance from the youngest Villers brother, an eighth grader, Chase who connected on 4 three-pointers. Devaunte Robinson set the pace early on getting to the rim against a very talented, long and athletic WV Capital team. The Tomcats led throughout and won by 23, in a dominating performance which has moved them to the top of the Regional leader board. Ashland will face Greenup and Perry County this week.
2. Boyd County (3-1) — The Lions easily dispatched Elliott Friday night behind strong performances of Robinson and Stewart. As disciplined and talented as they looked against Elliott, they looked that flat against Lewis County but were still able to pull out a win in OT. Gunner Short had the performance of the night putting up 31 in an all-around performance making up for early and persistent fouls. The Lions head to Pikeville next weekend for their Invitational. The Lions slip to second this week based somewhat on a very weak performance against Lewis County but more so due to Ashland’s impressive defeat of Capital.
3. Elliott County (2-2) – Elliott County was able to put up a good win against Greenup this week, but looked disorganized and without a game plan for Boyd County. They trailed by 20-30 points throughout the night. They have one game this week, against Raceland. Kole Whitley is leading at point, with Evans and Dickerson doing scoring.
4. Morgan County (4-1) —The Cougars continued their winning ways against Russell in the EKC but lost to Lewis in OT in the Championship Game. The Cougars are winning with balanced scoring and play, with Prater and Evans averaging 16 ppg. Morgan County faces Russell and Jackson City this week, with a Morgan County matchup looming early the week after.
5. Greenup County (2-2) —The Musketeers picked up a good win against a hot Lewis County team at home this week while suffering a defeat against Elliott with Gage Hughes contributing 22. The Musketeers have a big contest with the Tomcats this week that will surely be a big test.
6. Lewis County (3-3) —The Lions ended up even at the end of the week but had good games against both Boyd County and Morgan County, winning the EKC along the way. Offut has looked good, but Ruckel and Wallingford are scoring and leading a balanced attack. They did suffer a loss at Greenup Friday night. Lewis will face East Carter and Lawrence County this week, both away. They should be able to pick up a couple wins if they perform the way they did this past week.
7. Menifee County (2-0) —Menifee opened the season with wins against Bath and Fleming. Barnett has started the season on a roll with 28 and 30 point performances. Menifee County will host Rowan County and travel to West Carter this week.
8. Bath County (2-3) –The Lions suffered two losses this week against Lewis County and Menifee County. Poor shooting and a defense that looks a bit disorganized have contributed to the losses suffered thus far. When the shots are falling, Bath County is hard to deal with. They should be able to get back on track this week with Fleming and Fairview on the calendar.
9. Rowan County (3-1) – The Vikings split games this week, losing to Bath and defeating West Carter, albeit by a single point in a very low scoring game. The Vikings travel to Menifee and Powell County this week.
10. Raceland (2-2) —The Rams split their games this week losing by 23 to a talented Ashland team and defeating Prestonsburg by 30. They have home games against Elliott County and Russell this week.
11. East Carter (2-3) — The Raiders put up an impressive 38 point win against Sheldon Clark this week to improve to (2-3). With an impending game against Lewis County this week, we might get a better feel for the Raiders, who have looked inconsistent at best.
12. Russell (1-3) — The Red Devils lost twice this week including a disappointing defeat at Fairview. They were able to defeat the Eagles by 25 last week. They have a tough game against Morgan County this week along with an away trip to Raceland.
13. Fleming County (1-5) — Fleming is off to a rough start dropping three games this week, including one to Menifee County. They face Nicholas and Bath County this week and West Carter next weekend.
14. West Carter (1-2) —The Comets lost to Rowan County this week in a low scoring affair. Coach Webb is still in search of finding scoring. This week looks rough with a matchup against Boyd County and Menifee County.
15. Fairview (2-3) —The Eagles pulled off a win against Russell after taking a 25 point defeat last week to the Red Devils. They face a tough game away against Bath County this week.
16. Rose Hill (2-3) —The Royals lost to in region opponent Fairview last week, but put up 2 wins with smaller schools this week. The Royals will face the Tomcats of Ashland in rough game this week.
Nice work @24Bricks! I think the rankings are about as good as you can get them at this point in the season. FWIW, Ashland and Boyd look to be head and shoulders over the rest of the region at this point in time.