Bluegrasspreps.com Inside the 14th Region Week 11 Re-Cap
1. Knott County Central (23-5): The Patriots continued to roll last week, picking up 3 straight wins on 3 straight days, all by double figures. Knott Central defeated Buckhorn 74-62, June Buchanan 76-33 and Sheldon Clark 82-58. The Patriots have 1 lone game this week, the last one for the 2017/18 regular season and itíson the road at region foe, Hazard.
2. Perry County Central (16-6): The Commodores picked up 3 wins last week but they werenít easy, they had to work for them. Perry Central would repeat itís earlier season win over Hazard with another win over the Bulldogs 61-59. Perry Central would escape a game from Breathitt County, on the Bobcats 3rd straight game in 3 days (had beaten Estill and Hazard in the first two games/days), 59-53. Perry Central would also escape with a slim win over Harlan Independent 78-72. The Commodores will host Huntington St. Joseph Prep WV on Tuesday and travel to Letcher Central on Thursday.
3. Estill County (17-7): The Engineers got upset and seen their 10 game win streak come to an end when they were dealt a 54-42 loss to Breathitt County, however, the Engineers would bounce back in a big way by cruising past Wolfe County 53-39. Engineers had a lead of 16 at one point during the game. Estill County will host Menifee County on Tuesday for senior night, travel to Owsley County on Thursday and Hazard on Friday.
4. Cordia (15-11): Cordia has been playing better basketball at the right time then they were to begin the season. Cordia added two more wins to the win column last week, defeating both Letcher Central 68-48 and Whitley County 59-50. Cordia will travel to Harlan County on Thursday.
5. Leslie County (13-8): The Eagles and Bulldogs have met 4 times this season, two in tournaments and two home and home. Both teams won 2 games apiece including the Eagles 70-54 thrashing win over Hazard this past week in Hyden. The Eagles also picked up a win over Betsy Layne 60-55. The Eagles will host Breathitt County on Tuesday and OBI on Friday.
6. Powell County (13-10): The Pirates havenít been playing well as of late and it could factor into the district tournament next week. Powell County has lost 4 of their last 7 games with losses to Estill (twice), Knott Central and Perry Central.Powellís wins have came against the likes of Menifee, Lee and Williamstown. This week doesnít get any easier for the Pirates, they actually may end the season on a 3 game losing streak with this schedule (all in 3 straight days). @ Montgomery County on Tuesday, at home on Wednesday (senior night, varsity only) against Anderson County and on the road @ Morgan County on Thursday. I donít care who you are, thatís one tough stretch to end the season.
7. Wolfe County (13-13): Once thought of a region contender, the Wolves have struggled so much this season. In fact, last season (win wise) they were a better team. They have lost 2 of their last 3 games including a 53-39 loss at Estill County, for the second time this season. The Wolves also fell hard to the Knott Central Patriots two weeks ago. Wolfe County was able to pick up a win over Lexington Sayre last week, 76-66. Wolfe County has to make another haul to Frankfort, this time to play @ Western Hills on Wednesday and host Lee County for senior night on Friday.
8. Breathitt County (11-17): The Bobcats upset of Estill County this past week has got them going, or seemingly too. The very next night after knocking off the Engineers,the Bobcats defeated the Hazard Bulldogs 57-51 and the very next night after that, the Bobcats played Perry Central very close in a losing effort, 59-53. Breathitt County would bounce back tho and pickup a win over 10th regionís, Harrison County 67-61. Breathitt County will travel to Leslie County on Tuesday, looking to avenge a 30 point beat down laid by the Eagles earlier in the season and the Bobcats will close out the season at home on Saturday hosting Piarist School.
9. Hazard (11-10): After having won 5 straight with wins over teams like, Leslie County and Barbourville, the Bulldogs have lost 3 straight games, two of them were within striking distance, 61-59 loss to Perry Central, 57-51 loss to Breathitt County and a 70-54 loss to Leslie County. Hazard has 3 huge games this week, all at home. Tuesday against Letcher Central, Wednesday against Knott Central and Friday against Estill County.
10. Letcher County Central (7-18): This has been one of the worst seasons in Letcher Central history. The Cougars stand at 7-18 on the season. Letcher Central has lost 7 of their last 11 games, including a 2 game losing streak. (Have lost 3 of their last 4). Can they rebound this week, when they travel to Hazard on Tuesday and host Perry Central on Thursday? They could sure use some upsets to have momentum going into post season play next week.
11. Buckhorn (8-18): The Wildcats have won 4 of their last 5 games and only lost by 12 to Knott Central on the road, even tho itís a loss, thatís impressive to go into that type of environment and only lose by 12.
12. Owsley County (11-13): The Owls have dropped 3 of their last 4 games, in which, all were blown out losses.
13. Jackson City (5-19): The Tigers had last week off and will play their first game in 10 days, tomorrow at home against Lee County, a team they defeated by 50 earlier in the season, on the road.
14. June Buchanan (8-17): The Crusaders have won 2 of their last 3 games but those wins have came against, Heritage Academy and Riverside Christian. Still looking for that signature win.
15. Riverside Christian (2-22): The Rams losing skid has now reached 19 straight games and it doesnít look like another win is in-store for this season.
16. Lee County (0-25): This has been the worst season in Bobcat history. This might be the season, where Lee County doesnít even make it to a 1,000 points scored, now thatís bad. Riverside has scored 782 points, Lee County is at 812, now thatís bad, extremely bad.