Bluegrasspreps.com Inside the 14th Region Re-Cap Week 10
1. Knott County Central (20-5): The Patriots picked up 4 big wins last week, all within the region. Knott Central got things started off with a 73-57 win over former coach and visiting Powell County Pirates. The Patriots would return to action the very next night, hosting Cordia in a big district game, winning 54-48 over the Lions. Knott Central would also win their next two games on back to back nights as well, defeating Perry Central 80-70 and Wolfe County (2nd time this season) 66-45. The Patriots will have 3 straight games this week, hosting Buckhorn tonight, June Buchanan tomorrow and on the road at Sheldon Clark on Thursday.
2. Estill County (16-6): The Engineers kept on rolling last week and begin the hottest team in the region. Estill County locked down the #1 seed in the 56th district tournament with a 53-43 road win over Powell County. Estill County would defeat Buckhorn 76-65 on the road for Coach Jon Bentley's first win over the Wildcats and Estill's first win in Buckhorn since 2007/8 season. Estill County has 3 big games coming up this week, hosting Breathitt County tonight, traveling to Owsley County on Thursday and hosting Wolfe County on Saturday.
3. Perry County Central (13-6): The Commodores had to wait 10 days in between games and the rust showed as they fell to #1 Knott County Central 80-70 on the road. Perry Central will host crosstown rival, Hazard tonight in a rematch from earlier in the season where Perry Central won by 11, 62-51. The Commodores will also host Breathitt County (Friday) and Harlan Independent (Saturday) to close out this week's games.
4. Cordia (13-11): The Lions fell to district foe Knott County Central last week 54-48 but would bounce back and pick up a big win over West Jessamine by 17, 69-52 in the Jock Sutherland Classic at Lafayette. Cordia will be on the road this week, traveling to Letcher Central tonight and Whitley County on Saturday to participate in the Edgewood Supercenter Hardwood Classic.
5. Leslie County (11-8): The Eagles had the week off last week, in fact, tonight's road game at Betsy Layne will be the first game they've played since January 27th's loss to Hazard.
6. Hazard (11-7): The Bulldogs picked up all 3 wins last week to run their winning streak to 5 straight games. Hazard won all 3 of their games last week by double digits, defeating Barbourville 74-57, Lee County 87-27 and Owsley County 71-35. Hazard travels to Perry Central for a big district game tonight, @ Breathitt County tomorrow and @ Leslie County on Saturday.
7. Powell County (12-10): The Pirates are starting to turn in the wrong direction, losing 2 straight and 4 of their last 6 games. The Pirates had a chance to claim the #1 seed in the 56th district tournament but needed a 10+ win over Estill County, that didn't go as they had hoped as they fell to the Engineers on their own home court, by 10, 53-43. The pirates took a road beating at Knott Central 73-57 last week as well. Can they get things lined out this week with a home game (senior night) against Jackson City on Friday and a road game @ Williamstown on Saturday?
8. Wolfe County (12-12): Wolfe County split their games last week, defeating Jackson City 72-54 but falling to Knott Central (for the 2nd time this season), 66-45. Wolfe County will have two games this week,hosting Lexington Sayre on Friday and on the road @ Estill County on Saturday. Can the Wolves repeat last year's trip to Irvine and defeat the Engineers on their home court to revenge a home court loss earlier in the season?
9. Letcher County Central (7-16): Picked up a win last week, defeating June Buchanan 64-46 and have been playing better lately then they have all year, winning 3 of their last 4 games and falling to a team by 6 (61-55) that blew them out by 31 earlier in the season, Eastside VA. Letcher Central hosts Cordia in another big district game tonight and will travel to South Laurel on Saturday.
10. Breathitt County (8-16): The Bobcats dropped two more games last week, and have lost 4 straight and 6 of their last 9 games. The Bobcats travel to Estill County tonight,host Hazard tomorrow, travel to Perry Central on Friday and host Harrison County on Saturday. Big games for the bobcats this week, can they get things turned around?
11. Buckhorn (6-17): The Wildcats ended their 7 game losing streak last week, defeating both Owsley County 88-60 and Riverside Christian 76-29. both in the same day.
12. Owsley County (11-12):The Owls went 2-2 last week, defeating both Lee County 85-51 and Piarist School 77-29 but falling to Buckhorn 88-60 and Hazard 71-35.Despite losing 12 games this season and being 11-12, the Owls have had a great season and have been known for upsets in post season.
13. Jackson City (5-19): The Tigers continue to struggle, losing both games last week and running their losing streak to 7 straight games and have lost 18 of their last 20 games.
14. June Buchanan (6-15): The Crusaders are 2-8 in their last 10 games and have just 2 wins so far in 2018.
15. Riverside Christian (2-20): Riverside lost both games last week and have now lost 17 straight games.
16. Lee County (0-24): This has been a season of nightmares for Lee County. The Bobcats have lost all of their 24 games this week and all have been blowouts.