Bluegrasspreps.com Inside the 14th Region Week 8 Re-Cap
After a year of every game getting played, mother nature finally struck and struck in a big way, canceling games. Several teams had to go 10+ days without a game but once the weather finally broke, we seen some action, letís take a look back at the 14th region from this past week.
1. Knott County Central (13-4): The Patriots made the long haul down from the mountains to Winchester to participate in the Tim Short Automotive classic at George Rogers Clark, against Montgomery County. After controlling nearly the entire game, the Patriots lost on a 3 at the buzzer. Knott County Central will have two big district games this week, @ Letcher Central and hosting June Buchanan but they will also play Magoffin County in between those games.
2. Perry County Central (11-5): The Commodores didnít have a problem with Central Hardin as they rolled past the Bruins 78-57 in the Jackson City Prep Classic. Noah Back led the Commodores with 21, all 3 pointers. Noah Caudill chipped in 20. Perry Central will host Wolfe County on Monday night, travel to Powell County on Tuesday and host Harlan Independent on Saturday.
3. Estill County (10-6): The Engineers went 12 days without a game, had to cancel and reschedule some games but once the weather broke, they were able to get their home game with Letcher Central in and man, what a game it was, barn burner. Tied 10-10 at the end of 1, Letcher took a 24-22 led into halftime, Estill took a 40-36 lead at the end of 3, but at the end of 4, it was all knotted up a 49. Estill would go on to win the game 61-59 in overtime. Letcher Centralís Dylan Kincer missed two huge FTís with 4 seconds left in regulation that would have given Letcher a 51-49 led. Letcher Central had too many easy layups while Estill couldnít buy one. Estill County will host Powell County on Monday, travel to Beattyville Tuesday for their rematch with Lee County and a big one on Saturday as they host Pulaski County.
4. Cordia (11-9): The lions picked up two very impressive wins on back to back nights this past week, defeating June Buchanan (95-55) and Bourbon county (72-52) both with ease. Cordia will host June Buchanan on Wednesday and travel to George Rogers Clark on Saturday to face Franklin County in the MLK JR Classic.
5. Leslie County (11-6): The Eagles picked up two hard fought wins this past week, defeating Letcher Central 70-69 in overtime and Buckhorn 61-50, both on their own home court. Leslie County will travel to Barbourville on Tuesday and Hazard on Saturday for a big district showdown.
6. Powell County (10-6): Powell County added two more wins to their win column this past week, defeating Wolfe County 84-72 on the road and Breathitt County in a barn burner 75-72 Saturday in the Jackson City Prep Classic. Powell County travels to Estill County on Monday, host Perry central on Tuesday, travel to Menifee and Lee County on Friday and Saturday. Big week for the Pirates.
7. Breathitt County (6-12): The Bobcats cruised past Jackson City on Friday 77-51 but that would be the only win for the Bobcats as they would fall the very next night to Powell County in a barn burner 75-72. Bobcats travel to Buckhorn on Tuesday, host Wolfe County and Sayre on Thursday and Friday.
8. Wolfe County (8-10): The Wolves cruised past Owsley County last Monday but would fall to Powell County 84-72 on Friday. Tough stretch for the Wolves this week with Perry Central and Breathitt County laying in wait.
9. Hazard (6-7): The Bulldogs are starting to struggle really bad, losing 4 straight,3 of those 4 losses probably should have been wins, since they all were 5 points or less. Hazard will get another shot at Leslie County on Saturday but before then, they have a date with Sheldon Clark from the 15th region.
10. Letcher County Central (4-14): The Cougars lost two heart breaking overtime games this past week, falling 70-69 to Leslie County and 61-59 to Estill County, both on the road. With both losses, the Cougars have now dropped 9 of their last 10 games. This week doesnít get any easier, since they get re-matches with two teams that has already blew them out earlier this season, Knott Central and Eastside VA.
11. Buckhorn (4-12): Buckhorn took on Leslie County this past week but the Wildcats would come up on the short end as the Eagles would prevail 61-50.
12. Owsley County (8-9): The Owls split their games last week, defeating June Buchanan 55-33 but falling to Wolfe County 77-54.
13. Jackson City (5-15): The Tigers went 1-2 last week, defeating Riverside Christian 76-38 but falling to Breathitt County and Model.
14. June Buchanan (5-12): All of their games this season, have been blowouts.
15. Riverside Christian (2-12): The Rams continue to struggle, probably wonít win another game this season.
16. Lee County (0-18): The Bobcats suffered another blowout loss, this time to Casey County 89-37. At this point, Lee County probably couldnít even beat Riverside, too bad they donít play each other this season.