Bluegrasspreps.com Inside the 14th Region Week 7 Re-Cap
1. Knott County Central (12-3): The Patriots added two more wins to their record this past week defeating both June Buchanan 82-44 and Breathitt County 71-58 this past week. Knott Central has now won 4 straight and 5 of their last 7 games. The Patriots, however, will have a tough test this week when they play crosstown rival, Cordia twice on back to back nights. Monday night and Tuesday night. The Patriots will head to GRC Saturday to face Montgomery County in a tournament.
2. Perry County Central (10-5): The Commodores also put up two wins this past week as well. The Commodores got a good tough test out of Southwestern on their way to a 44-38 win. Hazard and Perry Central would go to the limit before the Commodores would pull away late, winning 62-51 over the Hazard Bulldogs. Perry Central will host Clay County on Tuesday and Central Hardin on Saturday in the Jackson City Prep Classic.
3. Estill County (9-6): The Engineers had just one game this past week and it wasn’t much of a contest as they routed, Garrard County 67-41 on the Golden Lions own home floor, at one point, the Engineers had a 30 point lead. Estill County will face Montgomery County at home on Tuesday, travel to Owsley County on Thursday and host Letcher Central on Saturday.
4. Cordia (9-8): Cordia got two wins in the 14th region all a tournament this past week, defeating both Wolfe County 68-42 and Leslie County 63-55. The road this week gets tougher for the Lions has they will face crosstown rival Knott Central on Monday for the 14th region all a championship and face the Patriots again on Tuesday on the Patriots own home floor. Cordia will host both June Buchanan on Friday and Bourbon County on Saturday.
5. Powell County (8-6): The Pirates lost their only game of the week, to Bourbon County 58-49. After starting the season off 5-3, the Pirates now have gone 3-3 since. Powell County travels to Beattyville on Tuesday to take on Lee County, a team they didn’t have a problem with earlier in the season, defeating the bobcats 84-32. Powell County will travel to Wolfe County on Friday and will play Breathitt County in the Jackson City Prep Classic on Saturday.
6. Leslie County (9-6): Split both of their games last week, cruising past struggling Lee County 86-44 but falling to Cordia 63-55. The Eagles seem to be playing better ball than what they were at the start of the season. Leslie County will re-main at home this week, hosting both Letcher Central and Buckhorn.
7. Wolfe County (7-9): The Wolves split their games in the 14th region all a last week, defeating Buckhorn 79-75 but falling to Cordia 68-42. A team that was considered to be one of the region favorites is far from being a region contender at the moment, losing 6 of their last 9, including a 4 game losing streak. Can the Wolves start to get things turned around this week, with Riverside Christian, Owsley County and Powell County all on the schedule?
8. Hazard (6-6): The Bulldogs have dropped 3 straight including a 62-51 defeat to Perry Central. All 3 losses, could have been, probably should have been wins but the Bulldogs just simply ran out of time trailing in all 3 losses. Hazard will travel to Breathitt County on Tuesday, Pike Central on Thursday and host Garrard County on Saturday.
9. Breathitt County (5-11): The Bobcats took a 71-58 defeat at the hands of #1 Knott Central on Sunday, part of the 14th region all a tournament. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Breathitt County pick up some wins this week with Lee County, Hazard, Jackson City and Powell County all on the schedule.
10. Buckhorn (4-11): The Wildcats suffered a heartbreaking 79-75 loss to Wolfe County in the 14th region all a tournament. Buckhorn will travel to #11 Letcher Central Tuesday and Leslie County on Saturday.
11. Letcher Central (4-12): The Cougars picked up a 49-41 win over Phelps to end their losing streak at 7 games.
12. Jackson City (4-13): The Tigers defeated Jenkins 75-63 on Thursday to end their 12 game losing streak.
13. Owsley County (7-8): The Owls picked up a solid 67-59 win over Berea last week to improve their record.
14. June Buchanan (4-10): June Buchanan has now lost 3 straight with the two blowout losses this past week.
15. Riverside Christian (2-9): The Rams didn’t get to play any last week so they should be well rested and relaxed for their next game.
16. Lee County (0-17): The Bobcats continue to struggle. Years ago, you would have never thought that you’d see Lee County go win less and/or get blown out in every single game, because they were really, really good years ago, well this year, just might be the year that the Bobcats go win less and get blown out in every single game. Things are not pretty in Beattyville.