Bluegrasspreps.com Inside the 14th Region Week 6 Re-Cap
1. Knott County Central (10-3): The Patriots had a successful opening round win in the 14th Region All “A” Tournament this past week, defeating Jackson City fairly easy, 70-42. Knott County Central will face district foe, June Buchanan in the quarter finals of the 14th Region All “A” Tournament on Tuesday night at 6 PM. The winner will face the home team, Breathitt County on Saturday.
2. Perry County Central (8-5): The Commodores took a hard spill in their only game this past week, suffering a 84-63 loss at the hands of Mercer County in the Patriot Classic at Lincoln County. Perry Central has 3 tough games this week, on Tuesday the Commodores welcome in the Southwestern Warriors, on Thursday, the Commodores travel across town to face district foe, Hazard Bulldogs and on Saturday, the Commodores will host Anderson County Bearcats, so 3 really tough games will tell us just how good the Commodores will be.
3. Estill County (8-6): The Engineers opened the new year with a big bang as they cruised past district foe, Lee County in trashing fashion, 81-27. Estill County will travel to Garrard County on Monday, host Powell County on Friday and play Western Hills on Saturday in the DMD Classic down at Frankfort.
4. Cordia (7-8): The Lions have yet to play a game in the new year but that will change on Thursday as they will face another region contender, Wolfe County in the 14th Region All “A” tournament.
5. Powell County (8-5): The Pirates picked up two good wins this past week, defeating Hazard 61-56 in overtime in what was a thrilling game, the fans got well worth their money. The Pirates picked up another district win as they cruised past Owsley County 88-43 on the road. Powell County will travel to Paris on Tuesday to take on Bourbon County and then on the road Friday at Estill County in a big 56th district showdown.
6. Leslie County (7-5): After losing to Hazard on their own home floor in their own tournament, the Leslie County Eagles would have a chance at redemption and redemption is just what the doctor ordered as the Eagles squeaked past the Bulldogs in a thriller 61-60. That, however, wouldn’t be the only thriller of a game for the Eagles this week as they defeated Wolfe County 72-70 in Campton on a runner at the buzzer. Leslie County must turn their attention to Lee County this week in the 14th Region All “A” tournament.
7. Wolfe County (6-8): The Wolves finally got the bleeding to stop as they picked up two wins this week, defeating Riverside Christian 88-27 and Buckhorn in another thriller 79-75.Things will get a little harder and rougher for the Wolves on Thursday as they will face #4 Cordia in the quarter-finals of the 14th Region All "A" tournament.
8. Hazard (6-4): After winning 3 straight and 6 of their last 7 games, the Bulldogs dropped both games this week, losing 61-56 in overtime to Powell County and losing another heart breaker to Leslie County 61-60 just days after defeating the Eagles on their own home floor. Hazard now must turn their attention to what lays ahead this week and that’s a big date with crosstown rival, Perry County Central.
9. Breathitt County (5-10): Breathitt County finally ended their losing streak this past week with a 95-41 win over Owsley County in the 14th Region All “A” Tournament. Breathitt County will host either Knott Central or June Buchanan on Saturday in the 14th Region All “A” tournament.
10. Buckhorn (4-10): Buckhorn split their two games for the new year, defeating Jackson City 59-54 for the second time this season and playing a good game against Wolfe County, although Wolfe County would come out on top 79-75.
11. Letcher County Central (3-11): The Cougars are still waiting to get a game in during the new year and will finally get to play one on Tuesday against Paintsville.
12. Owsley County (6-8): The Owls have gone 2-8 since starting the season off 4-0. That’s a complete backwards movement.
13. Jackson City (3-13): Jackson City has now lost 12 straight games. 7 of them have been blowouts.
14. June Buchanan (4-8): The Crusaders took a 73-40 beat down from Prestonsburg to begin the new year.
15. Riverside Christian (2-9): Riverside’slosing streak has now reached 6 straight games.
16. Lee County (0- 15): Lee County continues to take beat downs after beat downs after beat downs. Lee County is probably hoping that the season is almost over so they can put this season behind them and lock it away forever.The Bobcats are a shell of their former selves.