Basketball season is finally here and the first week of 12th Region basketball is under wrap. Some highlights from last week are the #1 team in the region Pulaski County took on the #1 team in the state Louisville Trinity, Somerset starts the season 2-0 for the first time since 2014, and Trevon Faulkner had nearly 30 points in two of three games he played in. In addition, two 12th Region schools were still battling it out on the gridiron in the state finals as Boyle County and Danville each brought home a state football title. The term “Titletown” is alive and well used in the Danville community. Congratulations to both teams!
So lets take a look at this week’s 12th Region rankings.
12th Region Rankings
1) Pulaski County (0-1) – The Maroons opened the season hosting the #1 team in the state Trinity Shamrocks. Although the Maroons played a good game, the powerhouse from Louisville’s 7th Region proved to be too much for them as the Shamrocks defeated the Maroons 76-86.
This week the Maroons are on the road as they travel to Casey County for district play and then to Jackson County to play against Lexington Catholic in the PRTC Classic.
2) Mercer County (2-1) – The Titans opened the new season with a big week of basketball playing in three games and getting the W in two out of three of them. They defeated Shelby County 65-45 and Danville 77-62, but lost to Knox Central Knox Central 72-88. Travon Faulkner had 28 points and 9 rebounds in the win over Danville. He also scored 29 points with 10 rebounds in the loss to Knox Central.
The Titans are at home this week against Garrard County then travel to play a strong Adair County team in the Lindsey Wilson College Classic.
3) Boyle County (0-1) – Even though basketball season has started for the Rebels, football has still been on the minds of most in the Boyle County community. That is because the Boyle County football team just finished their season this past weekend as the Class 3A State Champions. Now that the football season is over, the Rebels can hang up their cleats and put on the high tops for some roundball action. This past week the Rebels lost to Bryan station 58-70. In the loss, Jason Alexander led the Rebels in scoring with 18 points.
This week the Rebels travel to Somerset then return home to host East Jessamine.
4) Somerset (2-0) – In the first game of the Coach Dunbar era, the Briar Jumpers defeated Estill County 46-41. Kross Grundy led all scores with 19 points while Trae Harmon pitched in a double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds. The Jumpers also picked up a win over Lincoln County 57-41. In the first two games of the season, the Jumpers have held their opponents to only 41 points in each game.
The Jumpers have a busy week ahead as the travel to Barbourville, return home to play Boyle County, and then get back on the road to open district play versus Rockcastle County later in the week.
5) Wayne County (0-1) – The Cardinals only played one game this past week and lost in a close game to Pickett County, TN 71-73. Sophomore Cameron Gehring was on fire scoring 29 points while making nine of ten 3-point shots. Senior Jakson Baker added 8 points but more impressively pulled down 18 rebounds.
The Cardinals host district rival Southwestern this week then travel to Pulaski County to take on the Maroons.
6) West Jessamine (1-0) – This past week the Colts travelled to Spencer County to play Fairdale in the Taylorsville Tip-Off Classic. In their first game of the season and only game of the week, the Colts defeated Fairdale 91-77.
This week the Colts host Danville in their home opener.
7) Southwestern (0-1) – The Warriors only played one game this past week. They lost to Central Hardin 51-58. This is the first time since 2009 that the Warriors have lost their opening game.
This week the Warriors play at home against Casey County before travelling to 48th District Rival Wayne County to open district play.
8) McCreary Central (1-0) - The Raiders opened the season with a road win beating Rockcastle County 68-55. Senior newcomer Derrick Paige had a big game leading scores with 18 points and bringing down 15 rebounds. Nick Longmire added 17 points in the win and John Cash chipped in 16 points.
This week the Raiders travel to Barbourville before hosting Danville in their home opener.
9) Danville (0-1) – The Admirals are another team that has had football on their minds this past week as they brought home the Class 2A State trophy. The Admirals did play one game last week but lost to Mercer County 62-77.
This week the Admirals will play on the road at West Jessamine and McCreary Central.
10) Lincoln County (1-2) – The Patriots lost to Lafayette 58-74 in their opening game. Chase Phillips led the team in scoring with 22 points while shooting 72% from the field. They turned around and beat Rockcastle County 75-48, but lost again to a good Somerset team 41-57.
This week the Patriots are on the road as they travel to Wayne County then head to Richmond to play Madison southern in the Central Bank Classic.
11) Garrard County (0-2) – The Golden Lions lost their home opener to North Laurel 58-80. Senior Justin Preston led the way with 15 points while sophomore Braden Sebastian added 12 points. They also lost to Whitley County 60-67. Justin Preston once again led the way in scoring with 18 points.
This week the Golden Lions play three games beginning with Mercer County on the road, hosting Washington County, and then going to Model to play Sayre in the Central Bank Heroes Classic.
12) East Jessamine (0-2) – The Jaguars lost to Sayre 54-55 in their opening game of the season. They also lost the next game to LaRue County 53-65.
This week the Jaguars have a busy week on the road as they travel to Frederick Douglas, Boyle County, and Corbin.
13) Casey County (0-2) – The Rebels lost to Clinton County 58-75 in their opening game. Senior Dustin Richards was leading scorer with 19 points. They also lost on the road at North Laurel 33-70.
This week the Rebels travel to Southwestern then return home to open district play versus Pulaski County.
14) Rockcastle County (0-2) – The Rockets lost their home opener to McCreary Central 55-68. They lost the next game to Lincoln County 48-75.
This week the Rockets play at home as they host Estill County then district foe Somerset. They then travel to Jackson County to play Phelps in the PRTC Classic.
15) Burgin (0-3) – The Bulldogs had a tough time stopping Trimble County in their opening game losing 31-78. They lost again to St. Francis 41-61 and also to Brown 57-66.
This week the Bulldogs travel to Walden and Robertson County before returning home to face Frederick Fraize.
16) KSD (0-4) – The Colonels lost a close one to Riverside Christian 39-43 to open the season. They also played in the Viking Classic at the Tennessee School f/t Deaf where they lost 3 contests.
This week the Colonels host Riverside Christian then travel to Pennsylvania to play in the WPSD HC Classic.
Last Week's Game Results:
Clinton County 75 at Casey County 58
Boyle County 53 at Bryan Station 70
North Laurel 80 at Garrard County 58
Lincoln County 58 at Lafayette 74
Shelby County 45 at Mercer County 65
Wayne County 71 at Pickett County, TN 73
Kentucky School f/t Deaf 39 at Riverside Christian 43
McCreary Central 68 at Rockcastle County 55
East Jessamine 54 at Sayre 55
Estill County 41 at Somerset 46
Burgin 31 at Trimble County 78
St. Francis 61 at Burgin 41
Mercer County 77 at Danville 62
Casey County 33 at North Laurel 70 (Nissan Classic)
Kentucky School f/t Deaf 12 vs Alabama School f/t Deaf 59 (Viking Classic)
Taylor County at Boyle County - CANCELED
Southwestern 51 at Central Hardin 58
Rockcastle County 48 at Lincoln County 75
Trinity (Louisville) 86 at Pulaski County 76
Garrard County 60 at Whitley County 67
Brown 66 at Burgin 57 (Coach Davis Feeback Classic)
East Jessamine 53 at Larue County 65 (Corky Cox Classic)
West Jessamine 91 vs Fairdale 77 (Taylorsville Tip-Off Classic)
Kentucky School f/t Deaf 13 vs Tennessee School f/t Deaf 50 (Viking Classic)
Kentucky School f/t Deaf 27 vs South Carolina School f/t Deaf 54 (Viking Classic)
Mercer County 72 at Knox Central 88
Somerset 57 at Lincoln County 41
Next Week's Schedule:
Somerset at Barbourville
Garrard County at Mercer County
McCreary Central at Barbourville
East Jessamine at Frederick Douglas
Washington County at Garrard County
Riverside Christian at Kentucky School f/t Deaf
Estill County at Rockcastle County
Boyle County at Somerset
Casey County at Southwestern
Burgin at Walden
Lincoln County at Wayne County
Danville at West Jessamine
East Jessamine at Boyle County
Pulaski County at Casey County
Danville at McCreary Central
Burgin at Robertson County
Somerset at Rockcastle County
Southwestern at Wayne County
Lincoln County vs Madison Southern (Central Bank Classic)
Garrard County vs Sayre (Central Bank Heroes Classic)
McCreary Central vs Beechwood (Central Bank Heroes classic)
East Jessamine at Corbin (Hometown Bank Classic)
Mercer County at Adair County (Lindsey Wilson College Classic)
Rockcastle county vs Phelps (PRTC Classic)
Lexington Catholic vs Pulaski County (PRTC Classic)
Kentucky School f/t Deaf vs W. Pennsylvania School f/t Deaf (WPSD HC Classic)
Kentucky School f/t Deaf vs Ohio School f/t Deaf (WPSD HC Classic)
Frederick Fraize at Burgin