Bluegrasspreps.com Inside the 14th Region Week 1 Re-Cap
After a successful opening week of high school basketball. We’ve had some bit of surprises in the 14th region to start the season. Let’s re-cap the action in the 14th from week #1.
1. Knott County Central (1-0): The Patriots opened the season up by thrashing district foe, June Buchanan 90-29 on the Crusaders own home court. The Patriots Isaac Caudill who finished with 15, Kolton Hofsess added 14, Khali Stone 13, Colby Napier and Branson Couch both had 11, Gannon Couch had 10. Napier was 3-4 from long range. Knott Central will have their home opener on Tuesday against Pike Central to kick off the WYMT Mountain Classic.
2. Wolfe County (2-1): The Wolves dropped their season opener to Lexington Catholic 68-50 but bounced back with two very impressive wins. First, defeating Lee County with ease, 100-20, senior Deven Stone led the way with 57 points breaking a school record, and made 8 trey’s in the win. Wolfe County would go on and defeat Letcher Central on the road 70-58. The Wolves have been quite impressive so far, but will that continue on Tuesday when they play the 23rd ranked team in the state, Knox Central? Only time will tell.
3. Estill County (0-2): One of the region favorites is off to a bad start. The Engineers fell on the road in both games, Somerset 46-41 and Madison Southern 53-44. Can the Engineers re-group and pick up their first win on the season when they travel to Rockcastle County to take on a very young and inexperienced Rocket team?
4. Perry County Central (0-1): The Commodores dropped their season opener to Floyd central 58-50 on the road. The road ahead is a brutal one for the Dores as they will face the likes of GRC, Lou Central, Leslie County, Cordia and many other tremendous teams.
5. Cordia (0-3): Cordia is off to a sluggish start, dropping their first 3 games with two of them in blowout fashion. Cordia fell hard to both Scott County 91-66 and Knox Central 71-54 to begin the season and came up just short against South Laurel 63-56. Kareem McDonald led Cordia with 25 in the loss at Scott County. Can the Lions re-group and get on track with both Hazard and Buckhorn on back to back nights this week?
Note: Scott county game is the only one that has stats on KHSAA.
6. Leslie County (2-0): The Eagles are off to a good start as they’ve picked up wins over both June Buchanan 66-46 and Jackson City 72-53. Things get a little tougher now as they face Floyd Central in the opening round of the WYMT Mountain Classic.
7. Hazard (0-0): Hazard has yet to open the season and won’t do so until Tuesday when they face #5 Cordia.
8. Powell County (2-0): The Pirates are off to a surprisingly 2-0 start. Powell County defeated Buckhorn 80-61 and on the road at Sheldon Clark 70-60. Carlos Hernandez led Powell in scoring with 20 in the win over Buckhorn and 23 in the win over Sheldon Clark. The Pirates will be at home on Monday night hosting Paintsville.
9. Jackson City (2-0): Jackson City is off to a good start, a start they haven’t had since 2013. The Tigers have 3 huge games this week, all at home. Monday, facing June Buchanan, Wednesday facing Breathitt County and Saturday facing Buckhorn.
10. Breathitt County (1-2): Breathitt County opened the season up defeating Riverside Christian 87-12 but have since dropped their last two games, South Laurel 78-54 and Harlan County 66-56. Breathitt County goes on the road Wednesday night, just up the hill to take on the Tigers of Jackson City in a big district showdown.
11. Letcher Central (0-2): The Cougars have dropped both of their home games to start the season so far. Harlan County squeaked out a 59-54 win over the Cougars to open the season and Wolfe County left Whitesburg with a 70-58 win.
12. Buckhorn (1-2): The Wildcats are 1-2 to start the season, defeating Lee County 88-26 but falling to both Powell County 80-61 and Sheldon Clark 53-45.
13. Owsley County (2-0): The Owls have done something that they’ve not been able to do and that’s start the season out 2-0. Can the Owls keep the momentum going this week when they face June Buchanan, Piarist School and Pineville?
14. June Buchanan (0-2): The Crusaders have not gotten the start they wanted, as they have fallen hard in both games this season.
15. Lee County (0-6): The Bobcats are having a rough start, having been hammered in every single game they’ve played, their closet game? 71-33 loss to Berea…. The rest have been by 50+ points.
16. Jenkins (0-3): The Cavaliers are off to a bad start as well, falling in their first 3 games with their closet game being a 69-60 loss to Owsley County.
17. Riverside Christian (1-3): The Rams defeated Kentucky School F/T Deaf for their lone win so far this season, these two teams will hook up again, this coming Tuesday down in Danville.