BluegrassPreps.com 9th Region Week 2 Review (12/11/17)

  1. #1
    by MidwestUnited is offline Suspended
    Game of the Week: Newport Central Catholic(4) vs. Covington Catholic(1)
    Before the game started, Covington Catholic and Newport Central Catholic honored the life of Bob “Bopper” Finnell for his support of northern Kentucky high school sports. For the first sell-out game of the year, Newport Central Catholic came to Park Hills without three injured starters. Covington Catholic was also without three players as members of the football team sat out a week after winning the 5A state championship. CovCath started the first quarter off by scoring 34 points. The Colonels were led by Aiden Ruthsatz (15 points) and CJ Frederick (10 points) in the first quarter. After leading at half 58-26, Covington Catholic never let up. The Colonels won the Catholic school matchup, 89-50. CovCath was led by Frederick (35 points), Ruthsatz(15 points) and Jake Walter (13.0 points). NewCath was led by Brennan Hall’s 25 points.

    Play of the Week Adam Kunkel (Cooper): After winning big against Cincinnati Elder, Adam Kunkel had one of the best dunks in high school. Many believe this play should be on ESPN top 10.

    Best games coming up:
    Covington Catholic vs. Cincinnati Moeller – Covington Catholic to host Top 25 in Nation powerhouse Moeller on Dec 12.
    Cooper( #2) vs. Ryle (#4)- Dec. 12

    Best Defensive Team performance: Cooper vs. Cincinnati Elder. Cooper held Cincinnati Elder to 26 points.

    Best Offensive Team performance: Covington Catholic. They averaged 91 points a game, beating the two teams by an average of 45 points per game.
    Surprise Team: Ryle High School. Ryle is currently 4-1.
    Underclassman spotlight: Beechwood’s Scott Draud (22.0 ppg).
    Best Finish to a game: Highlands vs. St. Henry. Highlands beat St. Henry with a late 3-pointer by Carl Schoellman.



    1. Covington Catholic (3-0) – Defeated St. Henry (93-51) and Newport Central Catholic (89-50). Leading the Colonels for the first three games is CJ Frederick (22.7 ppg), Aiden Ruthsatz (20.0 ppg) and Jake Walters (11.0 ppg. 6.0 rpg.). Games coming up: Moeller( Dec.12) and La Salle (Dec.15). According to Covington Catholic AD Tony Bacigalupo, Covington Catholic game against Moeller might be the biggest game in gym’s history. Previous ranking: 1

    2. Cooper (3-1) – Won two games last week against Conner (66-39) and Cincinnati Elder (58-26). Games next week Ryle (Dec.12) and Taft ( Cincinnati, Ohio)(Dec.16). Leading Cooper for the first four games are Adam Kunkel (19.8 ppg. 11.0 rpg), Chris McNeil (11.0 ppg. ) and Braydon Runion (10.5 ppg. 10.5 rpg.)
    Previous ranking: 2

    3. Newport Central Catholic (4-1) – Won two games against Lloyd Memorial (79-49) and Dixie Heights (67-62), but lost to Covington Catholic (50-89). Through five games Newport Central Catholic is led by Brennan Hall (23.3 ppg.), Brendan Luken (16.3 ppg. 9.7 rpg. ) and Branden Posey (10.7 ppg.) Games coming up: Dayton (Dec.11), Boone County ( Dec.14) and Clark Montessori (Dec.16)
    Previous ranking: 4

    4. Ryle (4-1) – Ryle is a surprise team after five games. The Raiders lost to Simon Kenton 53-66 and beat St. Henry (70-66). Through five games Ryle is led by: Vince Rankin (22.3 ppg. 12.3 rpg.) and Jacob Tarvin (12.0 ppg). Big games against Cooper( Dec.12) and Conner (Dec.15).
    Previous Ranking: 6

    5. Holmes (2-1) – Played in only one game and defeated Newport (81-79 in overtime). Through three games Holmes is led by Jarrod Miller (11.0 ppg.) and Donavin Saxon (11.0 ppg.) Games coming up: Lloyd (Dec.12)

    Previous Ranking: 5

    6. Newport (3-1) – The Wildcats played two close games last week. Had a nice win against Boone County (59-56) but suffered an overtime loss to Holmes (79-81). Through four games Newport is led by MeKell Burries(23.3ppg.), Tahj Harding (15.5 ppg.) and Makhi McGuire(12.5 ppg.). Games coming up: Beechwood ( Dec.11), Campbell County (Dec. 14) and Conner (Dec.16).
    Previous Ranking:3

    7. Beechwood (4-2) – During the week went 2-2. Their two wins came against Bishop Brossart (77-66) and McCreary Central (58-53). The two losses were against Scott ( 83-58) and Butler (72-47). Through six games Beechwood is led by: Scott Draud( 22.0 ppg) and CJ Brannen (10.8 ppg). Games coming up: Newport (Dec.11), Dixie Heights (Dec. 12) and Simon Kenton (Dec.12).
    Previous Ranking: 7

    8. Lloyd (3-1) – During the week played in two games and defeated Villa Madonna (69-59) and lost to Newport Central Catholic (79-49). Through four games Lloyd is led by Jordan Fann (17.7 ppg.), Jamal Neal (16.5 ppg.) and Evan Molitor (10.7 ppg.). Games coming up: Holmes ( Dec.12), Holy Cross( Dec. 15) and Williamstown (Dec.16).
    Previous Ranking: 12


    9. Boone County (2-3) – During the week played in two games and defeated Conner ( 74-54), but lost to Newport (56-59). Through five games Boone County is led by Ethan Haynes(10.8 ppg.), Ethan Robbins(16.0 ppg.) and Raymond Rodgers(18.2 ppg.). Games coming up: Williamstown ( Dec.12), Newport Central Catholic ( Dec.14) and Indian Hill ( Dec.16).
    Previous Ranking: 10

    10. Holy Cross (2-1) – Played in two games against Grant County ( 82-47) and Campbell County ( 59-77). Through three games Holy Cross is led by Nolan Schrand ( 14.0 ppg) and Jordan Niehuas(13.5 ppg.). Games coming up: South Oldham ( Dec.11), Lloyd Memorial (Dec.15) and at John Turner Classic. 
Previous Ranking: 13

    11.St. Henry (2-4)- The question preseason is when would the talent freshman class see varsity minutes . After six games Wyatt Vieth leads the team in scoring (10.3 ppg.). St. Henry had a rough week after losing three games. St Henry lost to Covington Catholic ( 93-51), Ryle ( 70-66) and Highlands ( 58-57). Games coming up: Bellevue ( Dec. 13) and Dayton ( Dec.15).

    Previous Ranking: 11

    12-Conner (1-4) – Played in two games against Cooper ( 39-66) and Boone County ( 54-74) and lost both games. Through five games Conner is led by Tanner Craddock (11.8 ppg.). Games coming up: Simon Kenton (Dec.12), Ryle (Dec.15) and Newport (Dec.16).
    Previous Ranking: 8

    13. Dixie Heights (0-4) – The losing streak continues to four games. Dixie Heights losses two games to Newport Central Catholic (62-67) and Simon Kenton (53-58). Games coming up: Beechwood( Dec.12), Villa Madonna( Dec.13) and Campbell County ( Dec.16). *Stats not available
    Previous Ranking:9

    14. Highlands- (1-4) — Played in two games, won against St. Henry( 58-57) but lost to South Laurel (54-75). Through five games Highlands is led by Roddy Gabbard (8.4 ppg.). Games coming Up: Trinity Grammar(Dec.11), Ludlow (Dec.14) and Bishop Brossart( Dec.16).
Previous Ranking:14


    15. Bellevue (3-1) – Won two games against Covington Latin ( 67-13) and Heritage Academy (78-40). Through four games Bellevue is led by: Brett Maehren ( 18.5 ppg. 8.8 rpg) and Tommy Ratterman (11.5 ppg.) Games coming up: St. Henry (Dec.13) and Calvary Christian (Dec.15).
    Previous Ranking:15


    16. Villa Madonna (3-3)- Played three games, winning twice and losing once. Villa Madonna’s wins came against Heritage Academy (74-32) and Silver Grove ( 68-22). The only loss came against Lloyd ( 59-69) . Through the six games played Villa is led by Sean McIntyre (12.8 ppg. 5.0 rpg.) and Ben Zalla (10.8 ppg.) Games coming up: Ludlow (Dec.12), Dixie Heights( Dec.13), Brown(Dec.15), Louisville Collegiate( Dec.16) and Walden(Dec.16).
    Previous Ranking: 18

    17. Ludlow (1-4) – Played three games, lost two games against Calvary Christian (55-62) and Bishop Brossart (32-58) but won against Dayton (48-38). Through 5 games Trey Donahue (14.0 ppg and 5.0 rpg.) and Justin Blackburn ( 10.0 ppg. and 6.0 rpg.) Games coming up: Villa Madonna ( Dec. 12), Higlands (Dec.14) and Silver Grove (Dec.15).
    Previous Ranking:16


    18. Dayton (0-5)-Lost to Ludlow ( 38-48). Games coming up this week: Newport Central Catholic (Dec.11), Silver Grove (Dec.12), St. Henry(Dec.15). * Note: No Stats available
    Previous Ranking: 17

    19. Heritage Academy (0-3) – Lost two games last week against Villa Madonna ( 32-74) and Bellevue( 40-78). Games coming up: Calvary Christian ( Dec. 12), Augusta (Dec.14) and Portland Christian (Dec.15).
    Previous ranking: 19

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    138

    Thanks for your hardwork on this but disagree with your assessment of the top 10.

    Tier 1
    1. Covington Catholic - they are the class of the region right now.
    2. Cooper - not too far behind Cov Cath but their offense is way behind them.
    Tier 2
    3. NCC - able to score but their Strength of Schedule is very low.
    4. Holmes - showing more scoring ability this year than last season.
    5. Newport - tough team with probably the most underrated player in the state in Burries.
    Tier 3
    6. Beechwood - Toebe is a load and Draud can fill it up.
    7. Ryle - Rankin is tough but their SOS is very low and their only loss has come against their only quality opponent.
    8. Boone County - Ethan Haynes needs to get more opportunities to score but they will be tough in the 33rd.
    9. Lloyd - new coach is doing a good job with losing as many pieces as they did.
    10. Holy Cross - 3-ball will always make them a threat for an upset of the teams in the 2nd and 3rd Tiers.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 16
    Posts
    280

    Disagree based on what information?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    Big Bone, KY
    Posts
    2,204

    For the time that is now, I think the rankings are pretty good. Maybe move Holy Cross up a bit, but thats about it. By seasons end, I'd expect Dixie to be up to the 5 or so spot. Thanks for the weekly update.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,318

    If I ranked 4 through 10 I’d have a different ranking each time.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    924

    Thanks for the ranking and the work put into it, still early, ranking will probably change weekly.

  7. #7
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,504

    Quote Originally Posted by HSBballfan24 View Post
    Thanks for your hardwork on this but disagree with your assessment of the top 10.

    Tier 1
    1. Covington Catholic - they are the class of the region right now.
    2. Cooper - not too far behind Cov Cath but their offense is way behind them.
    Tier 2
    3. NCC - able to score but their Strength of Schedule is very low.
    4. Holmes - showing more scoring ability this year than last season.
    5. Newport - tough team with probably the most underrated player in the state in Burries.
    Tier 3
    6. Beechwood - Toebe is a load and Draud can fill it up.
    7. Ryle - Rankin is tough but their SOS is very low and their only loss has come against their only quality opponent.
    8. Boone County - Ethan Haynes needs to get more opportunities to score but they will be tough in the 33rd.
    9. Lloyd - new coach is doing a good job with losing as many pieces as they did.
    10. Holy Cross - 3-ball will always make them a threat for an upset of the teams in the 2nd and 3rd Tiers.
    Thanks @MidwestUnited always dig reading your breakdown, and appreciate the time and effort you put into writing it.


    I'm on board with your @HSBballfan24 rankings, and especially Tier 1 & 2.

    Tier 3 is a bit too fickle to nail down, and will likely bounce around from week to week. Intrigued however to see if Ryle is better than we thought, and was expecting Boone to be a bit better than they have been.

    Though they're still winless, but considering having close games with NewCath and SK, I'd also have Dixie in Tier 2 at number 6.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 16
    Posts
    280

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Ball-fan View Post
    Thanks @MidwestUnited always dig reading your breakdown, and appreciate the time and effort you put into writing it.


    I'm on board with your @HSBballfan24 rankings, and especially Tier 1 & 2.

    Tier 3 is a bit too fickle to nail down, and will likely bounce around from week to week. Intrigued however to see if Ryle is better than we thought, and was expecting Boone to be a bit better than they have been.

    Though they're still winless, but considering having close games with NewCath and SK, I'd also have Dixie in Tier 2 at number 6.
    It's hard to put a winless team No. 6. Yes, they do have some talent, but if they are 0-15 in two months, do we still have them ranked No. 6 based on talent alone? I think not. Right now Dixie is winless against a very tough schedule. An 0-4 record is probably due to a tough schedule, but it's also saying you are not one of the elite teams.

  9. #9
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,504

    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestUnited View Post
    It's hard to put a winless team No. 6. Yes, they do have some talent, but if they are 0-15 in two months, do we still have them ranked No. 6 based on talent alone? I think not. Right now Dixie is winless against a very tough schedule. An 0-4 record is probably due to a tough schedule, but it's also saying you are not one of the elite teams.
    I get what you're saying, and that it's hard to give a decent ranking to a winless team. You're correct too that it's due to a tough schedule.

    For what it's worth No. 4 Ryle (4-1) lost to SK by 13 while No. 13 Dixie (0-4) lost to them by 5.

    Ryle beat St. Henry by 4, NewCath beat St. Henry by 19, but only beat Dixie by 5.

    Still I get the dilemma you're in ranking a winless team any higher, and I appreciate your efforts to write this week by week analysis.

    No matter what it's interesting and stirs up some interesting conversation. You're the one who's brave to put it out there, and we're all just the skeptics who get to add our two cents even if that means we might have a different take.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 16
    Posts
    280

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Ball-fan View Post
    I get what you're saying, and that it's hard to give a decent ranking to a winless team. You're correct too that it's due to a tough schedule.

    For what it's worth No. 4 Ryle (4-1) lost to SK by 13 while No. 13 Dixie (0-4) lost to them by 5.

    Ryle beat St. Henry by 4, NewCath beat St. Henry by 19, but only beat Dixie by 5.

    Still I get the dilemma you're in ranking a winless team any higher, and I appreciate your efforts to write this week by week analysis.

    No matter what it's interesting and stirs up some interesting conversation. You're the one who's brave to put it out there, and we're all just the skeptics who get to add our two cents even if that means we might have a different take.
    I know and appreciate your comments! The comparative score stuff doesn't work at all, though. If you do that, then in 1982 Chaminade by virtue of its win over No. 1 Virginia and Ralph Sampson should have been ranked No. 1 in the national poll the following week even though they were in the NAIA! That's why Dixie needs to win a game and not rely on comparative scores. Would that have been a laugh, though, with Chaminade from the NAIA No. 1 in the Associated Press college basketball poll in 1982 after beating Virginia?
    Last edited by MidwestUnited; Dec 11, 17 at 10:51 PM.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 17
    Posts
    137

    Anyone have the link to the AK dunk?

  12. #12
    Runcible Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 17
    Location
    A river runs through it.
    Posts
    1,805

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcatpride View Post
    Anyone have the link to the AK dunk?
    Flyin' to the hoop!

    https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5030647...9bbf2e945a8aa0

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 17
    Posts
    137

    Quote Originally Posted by Runcible Owl View Post
    Nasty!! AK why you do them like that! LOL

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 3.0
    Posts
    47,464

    Quote Originally Posted by Runcible Owl View Post
    Hell, I use to do that..........on an 8 foot rim. LOL

    That was NASTY!!!!!

  15. #15
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,504

    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestUnited View Post
    I know and appreciate your comments! The comparative score stuff doesn't work at all, though. If you do that, then in 1982 Chaminade by virtue of its win over No. 1 Virginia and Ralph Sampson should have been ranked No. 1 in the national poll the following week even though they were in the NAIA! That's why Dixie needs to win a game and not rely on comparative scores. Would that have been a laugh, though, with Chaminade from the NAIA No. 1 in the Associated Press college basketball poll in 1982 after beating Virginia?
    Perhaps not always fool proof, but certainly often times helpful. The example you use to debunk it is on the rare end of the scale, while generally strength in schedule and similar opponents are what rankings on all levels are typically built upon.

    Still I get the dilemma of giving a winless team a high ranking until they prove themselves otherwise by getting into the winning column.

    Though the season is young, most of the teams are little mystery to us, so when we already pretty much have a scope on what NewCath and Simon Kenton are about and Dixie played both of them close, it's safe to say they're not terribly that far out of their league.

    I also get that it's not fair to rank a team on what we assume about them on paper when it's reality that must back it up, and thus far the Red Colonels have yet to have a signature win to warrant any higher praise than they're already getting. Looking at their schedule it's not out of the realm of possibilities that they'll end the season with one of the most dismal win/loss records for them in years.

    With all that said, I'm confident that they're suiting up a competitive team capable of giving any of the teams ranked 3rd and lower a run for their money, while more than likely dismantling any team in the neighborhood of their current No. 13 ranking.

Top