BluegrassPreps.com 5th Region Weekly Rankings (2/11/18)
1. John Hardin (21-7): The Bulldogs went 2 and 1 this week, and the one loss was to a top 5 team in the state. They beat Bardstown 93-65, beat Grayson County 85-55, and lost to Butler at Warren Central 56-50. John has continued to play very good ball lately, and how competitive the Butler game was shows that. Senior Malik Wright led them with 17 points versus Bardstown. They will play the winner of North Hardin and Fort Knox in the district tourney.
2. Larue County (23-2): Larue has continued to do nothing but win games, as they won both games this week. They beat Nelson County at Nelson 84-44, and beat Taylor County 63-42. The Hawks are playing their best basketball at the end, which is what you want. Their size can cause trouble for a lot of teams. Shane King led them with 15 points versus Nelson County. They will be playing Hart County in their district tourney.
3. Elizabethtown (15-8): The Panthers won both games this week. They beat North Bullitt 82-77 and beat Bardstown at Bardstown 79-70. They have shown all year that they can beat anybody in the 5th Region. They have also had some surprising losses in their district, but they will be a tough out tournament time. Darius Harding had 27 points in the win over North Bullitt. They will be playing Central Hardin in the district tourney.
4. Central Hardin (17-8): The Bruins had a great week, going 3 and 0 and getting an impressive road win. They beat Fort Knox 60-49, beat South Oldham at South Oldham 70-68, and beat Green County 64-52. They have won 8 out of their last 9 games, and have looked to only get better so far, this year. Chase Elmore had 17 points in the win versus South Oldham, which included 5 threes. They play Elizabethtown in the district tourney.
5. Adair County (16-10): The Indians went 2 and 1 this week, as all three games were shootouts. They beat Green County 76-66, beat Russell County at Russell 95-80, and lost to Seneca at Seneca 81-77. The offense hasn’t been a problem all year, as they score with anybody, but they also give up a lot of points to about anybody. Zion Harmon had 45 versus rival Russell County as he continues his fantastic year. They play Marion County in the district tourney.
6. Washington County (16-12): Washington had a great week as they won all 3 games this week. They beat Marion County at Marion 65-61, beat Campbellsville at Campbellsville 69-65, and beat Whitefield Academy 89-58. They got two good road wins this week. Devin Hurst led Washington with 20 points in the win over Marion County. They will be playing Bethlehem in their district tourney.
7. Marion County (16-10): The Knights went 2 and 1 this week with the loss being a close loss. They beat Metcalfe County 70-36, lost to Washington County 65-61, and beat Bethlehem at Bethlehem 63-54. Their last three losses have all been by less than 5 points, so they have been in every game lately. Lez Means led Marion with 17 points in the loss versus Washington County. They will be playing Adair County in their district tourney.
8. Bardstown (14-10): The Tigers went 0 and 3 this week, but they did face 3 good basketball teams. They lost to John Hardin at John Hardin 93-65, lost to Elizabethtown 79-70, and lost to Valley 85-59. The Tigers won 3 straight before these three losses, so I wouldn’t take much away from the 3 losses. Trey Riney had 16 points in the loss to John Hardin. They will play the winner of Thomas Nelson and Nelson County in the district tourney.
9. Hart County (15-10): They won both games this week versus 5th region opponents. They beat Thomas Nelson at Thomas Nelson 62-52, and beat Fort Knox at Fort Knox 57-56. Hart has won 11 out of their last 13 games after struggling. John Shoulders led Hart with 24 in the win over Thomas Nelson. Hart County will be playing Larue County in their district tourney.
10. Campbellsville (12-14): The Eagles went 1 and 2 this week. They beat Caverna at Caverna 84-62, lost to Washington County 69-65, and lost to Bethlehem at Bethlehem 82-74. Eagles got a win beating Caverna big on the road, but struggled the rest of the week. Nataj Sanders had 21 points in their win over Caverna. They will be playing Taylor County in their district tourney.
11. North Hardin (10-16): The Trojans only had one game this week, and they won that game by a good margin. Their record isn’t great, but they have played competitively with good teams. They play Fort Knox in the district, and the winner plays John Hardin.
12. Caverna (11-14): They won 2 of 3 and ended the week with a big win versus a 4th region opponent. They can really score, but getting stops tends to be a problem. They will be playing Green County in their district tourney.
13. Green County (11-14): They lost both of their games this week. The Dragons have been competitive with the teams that they have faced. They will be playing Caverna in their district tourney.
14. Taylor County (4-20): The Cardinals lost all three games this week. It’s been a disappointing year for Taylor after winning 3 straight region titles, so it will be interesting to see what they do. They play Campbellsville in their district tourney.
15. Bethlehem (9-14): They won one and lost one this week. They have played all the middle of the pack teams very even this year. They will be playing Washington County in their district tourney.
16. Nelson County (9-18): They did win 2 out of 3 this week. They started off slow, but have been trending up since then. They will play Thomas Nelson in the district tourney, where the winner will move on to play Bardstown.
17. Fort Knox (3-17): They went 1 and 2 this week, but showed how much they have improved this year. They were competitive in both losses, and destroyed Thomas Nelson. They will play North Hardin in the first round of the district tourney.
18. Thomas Nelson (2-25): They played 4 games and lost all of them. Things aren’t going well, as they have a 16 game losing streak. They will play Nelson County in the district tourney, and the winner will move on to play Bardstown.