BluegrassPreps.com 5th Region Weekly Rankings (1/21/18)
1. John Hardin (15-4): The Bruins played two district games this week and won the home contest and lost the road contest. They got upset at Elizabethtown 85-67, and beat North Hardin 71-52. John losing to a 5th region team could give other teams some confidence. Even with the loss, Mickey Pearson had 20 and 16. John plays Adair this week. They can still show that the Elizabethtown loss was just one game and not who they really are.
2. Elizabethtown (11-5): The Panthers played one game this week and what a performance it was. They beat region/district favorite John Hardin 85-67. This is the best 5th region win by anybody. It should give the Panthers a ton of confidence going forward. The big 3 of Durbin, Franklin, and Harding combined for 58. They play North Hardin this week and hope to continue its great play.
3. Larue County (15-2): The Hawks played in the Toyota Classic this week and went 1 and 1. They beat Wayne County 56-43 and lost to Scott County 91-53. Scott County is as good as anybody in the state so Larue had their work cut out for them. Anthony Adkins had 24 vs Scott County. The Hawks play Glasgow next week so it will be a good test as Glasgow is a good team.
4. Adair County (11-7): The Indians played two games this week with a close loss and a win. They lost at Glasgow 78-77 and beat Nelson County 94-78. How good Adair is, is something that a lot of people still donít know. This upcoming week Adair plays John Hardin at home, so we will learn a lot there. Zion Harmon has continued to be great but senior Hunter Cundiff has been good also as he provided 17 and 11 versus Nelson County. To contend, Harmon will need other guys to step up.
5. Central Hardin (10-6): The Bruins had a tough week as they lost both of their matchups this week. They lost to Anderson County 66-63 and lost to Perry County Central 78-57. Bruins did face two good teams,but losing both games in a week is never a good week. They play district foe North Hardin this week as they try to get back to their winning way. They continue to be led by Jacob Hobbs who is averaging 9 and 8.
6. Marion County (11-7): The Knights had one game this week and it was a district win. They beat Campbellsville at Campbellsville 54-37. Marion plays in a lot of high scoring games so it was impressive to see them win a low scoring game like this. Marion plays Adair this next week,so that is a great opportunity for the Knights. Lez Means continues to be the guy for Marion as he is averaging 19.5 points per game.
7. Washington County (11-10): They had two games this week and they went 1 and 1. They beat Burgin 71-40 and lost to Somerset 76-59. The loss to Somerset ended a 5-game winning streak. Somerset is a good team so Washington is continuing to play good basketball. Josh Burkead led Washington County in their game versus Burgin by scoring 15 points. Washington County is off this next week.
8. Green County (8-9): Dragons played in the 5th region All A classic this week and they ended up winning it. They defeated Green County 81-79, beat Bethlehem 70-58 and beat Bardstown in the finals 53-49. What a great week for Green as they won the All A classic and they get to go to All A state now. Green has been led by big man Isaac Young all year. Busy week next week, as they play 3 games this next week.
9. Bardstown (11-7): The Tigers played in the 5th region All A classic this week and they got runner up. They beat Campbellsville 66-65, beat Fort Knox 79-35 and lost in the finals to Green County 53-49. The Tigers continue to be a balanced basketball team. They were very close to capturing the championship but they fell just short. The Tigers play just one game this week as itís a home game versus Kentucky Country Day.
10. Caverna (7-10): They played in the 5th region All A classic and lost their first game to the eventual champion. They lost to Green County 81-79. They played Green closer than anyone else did in the All A Classic. They were led by Jobby Howard who scored 32 versus Green County. His last two games he has combined for 97 points. They play district favorite Larue County this upcoming week.
11. Hart County (8-8): The Raiders played one game this week and it was an impressive win over a solid 4th region team. Hart has won 5 out of its last 6 games. Hart will play two 5th region opponents this week.
12. Campbellsville (7-11): The Eagles lost both games this week, with one being a district game and the other being the All A classic. They have lost 5 out of their last 6. They have two winnable games this week to try to get back on track.
13. Taylor County (3-12): Cardinals played one game this week and they lost in the Toyota Classic. Out of the last 8 games Taylor has just won 1 game. Taylor has a busy week ahead as they have 4 games.
14. North Hardin (5-13): They played the favorite in region and their district this week as they lost for their only game this week. The Trojans have won 1 out of their last 7 games. They play two district games in this upcoming week.
15. Nelson County (5-13): They played two road games but got one big win, which was a district win. Nelson played very well this week. They play two 5th region opponents this next week.
16. Bethlehem (5-13): Had a rough week as they lost in the All A Classic and lost a district game. They currently have a 6-game losing streak. They have 3 games this upcoming week.
17. Thomas Nelson (2-14): Thomas Nelson only played one game this week and that was a road blowout loss. They have won 1 out of their last 10 games as they have been struggling. They play 3 games this upcoming week.
18. Fort Knox (1-11): They played only one game this week and it was in the All A Classic, where they lost to the eventual runner up. They have a 7-game losing streak currently. They play 3 games this upcoming week.