The New Year is here and the hustle and bustle of the holiday season is over. Now that the Christmas tournaments are over teams are settling into their regular schedules and focusing on their district opponents. This week promises some good rivalry games that will allow the winners to take the early lead at the top of the district standings. Take a look inside the 12th Region’s rankings and see how your favorite team is faring.
12th Region Rankings
1) Pulaski County Maroons (10-3) – The Maroons have accumulated six straight wins since Christmas including wins this week over Boyle County 82-65 and Rockcastle County 82-40. Steven Fitzgerald is averaging 36 points per game this season and scored 39 points in the win over Boyle County.
This week the Maroons will host Somerset in a crosstown rivalry, travel to Lincoln County, then end the week with another crosstown rivalry game at Southwestern.
2) Mercer County Titans (12-4) – The Titans won both games they played last week. They beat Wayne County in overtime 71-70 and Perry County Central 84-63. In the win over Wayne County, Trevon Faulkner score 38 points while bringing down 15 rebounds. He was also 8-8 in free throw shooting. Carter Baughman added 17 points in the win.
This week the Titans will play at home versus a good Knox Central team then will be going to Nashville to play in the Music City Classic.
3) West Jessamine Colts (11-1) The Colts extend their winning streak to eight games this week by beating North Bullitt 52-47 and rival East Jessamine 81-75. In the win over North Bullitt, Drew Cook scored 21 points to lead the Colts in scoring. Dalton Bruner scored 27 points in the win over East Jessamine while freshman DeAjuan Stepp added 15 points.
This week the Colts travel to play a good Lexington Christian team then return home to host Casey County.
4) Somerset Briar Jumpers (15-2) – The Jumpers won a pair of 47th District games last week as they defeated Rockcastle County 80-51 and Casey County 64-52. Trae Harmon was back for the Jumpers after missing the post-Christmas tournament and led them in scoring with 15 points in the win over Rockcastle County. Kross Grundy and Jake Cothron each scored 16 points in the win over Casey County.
The Briar Jumpers are on the road this week as they first travel across Highway 80 to face rival Pulaski County then later in the week travel to Anderson County.
5) Boyle County Rebels (8-4) – The Rebels split a pair of games last week. They lost to Pulaski County 65-82 but beat Garrard County in their first 45th District matchup 70-54. In the loss to Pulaski County, Bryce Slone and Jason Alexander each scored 16 points.
This week the Rebels travel to crosstown rival Danville then host Lincoln County in a clash of 45th District foes.
6) Southwestern Warriors (8-5) – The Warriors only played one game last week and it was a loss to University Heights in the Patriot Classic 49-58.
The Warriors travel to Perry County Central to start this week, host crosstown rival Pulaski County, then end the week playing Bourbon County at home.
7) Lincoln County (9-8) – The Patriots have won five game in a row including three games this past week. They beat East Jessamine 62-49, Danville 47-46, and Eastern 68-62. In the win over East Jessamine, freshman Spencer Baird led the way for the Patriots with 18 points.
The Patriots have a tough week ahead as they host Pulaski County then travel to Boyle County.
8) Wayne County Cardinals (8-8) – The Cardinals played three games last week and won one out of three. They lost in overtime to Mercer County 70-71, beat Whitley County 62-35, but lost again 70-77 to North Laurel. In the loss to Mercer County, Jakson Baker led Wayne County with 24 points. Aubrey Weaver added 18 points.
The Cardinals are on the road this week as they travel to Taylor County and McCreary County.
9) Danville Admirals (6-9) – The Admirals won two of three games last week. They beat Frankfort 63-58, lost to Lincoln County in a close game 46-47, but turned around to beat Casey County 81-48. In the win over Frankfort, Jared Southerland scored 27 points to lead Danville.
The Admirals are in full 45th District mode this week as they host Boyle County then travel to Garrard County.
10) McCreary Central Raiders (6-8) – The Raiders took the week off last week. McCreary Central gets back into action this week as they travel to Russell County, host Wayne County, then go to Southwestern to play Jackson County in the Hall of Fame Classic.
11) East Jessamine Jaguars (5-12) – The Jaguars lost both games they played last week. They lost to Lincoln County 49-62 and West Jessamine 75-81.
The Jaguars only play one game this week and it is on the road at Western Hills.
12) Garrard County Golden Lions (4-12) – The Golden Lions picked up a win to start the New Year beating Montgomery County 72-68. They lost to Boyle County 54-70 and George Rogers Clark 62-83 to finish the week.
The Golden Lions are at home this week as they host Estill County and Danville.
13) Rockcastle County Rockets (4-11) – The Rockets lost all three games they played last week. They lost to Somerset 51-80, Pulaski County 40-82, and Clay County 58-67.
This week the Rockets host North Laurel then travel to Casey County for 47th District play.
14) Casey County Rebels (0-15) – The Rebels are still lokking to pick up their first win of the season. Last week they lost to Somerset 52-64 and Danville 48-81.
The Rebels have a busy week ahead as they host Anderson County and Rockcastle County before traveling to West Jessamine.
15) Burgin Bulldogs (5-8) – The Bulldogs split a pair of games last week beating Rose Hill Christian 56-43 but lost to Trinity (Whitesville) 35-70.
The Bulldogs are on the road this week as they travel to Berea and Portland Christian.
16) Kentucky School f/t Deaf Colonels (0-12) – The Colonels lost three games in the KSD Basketball Classic this past week. The Colonels are led this season by sophomore Aaron Howard who is averaging 17 points per game.
The Colonels travel to Oneida Baptist Institute for their only game this week.
12th Region District Standings
Boyle County 1-0
Lincoln County 1-0
Garrard County 0-1
Mercer County 2-0
West Jessamine 1-1
East Jessamine 0-2
Pulaski County 2-0
Rockcastle County 1-3
Casey County 0-4
Wayne County 0-1
McCreary Central 0-0