Week two of the young basketball season is finished and high school hoops is now in full swing. Although still a little rusty, teams are starting to figure out where they stand and what they need to do to improve. There was plenty of 12th Region action, along with some early district competition, causing some movement in this week’s rankings. So take a look and see what your favorite team did last week and see what they have on their slate this week.
12th Region Rankings:
1) Pulaski County Maroons (1-1) - The Maroons are not a team that shies away from competition but unfortunately the snow prevented them from playing #7 ranked Lexington Catholic this past Saturday. They did play one game last week and beat Casey County 77-34.
The schedule picks up this week as the Maroons host Wayne County in their first of two games and then travel to Clay County to play Whitley County in the Bobby Keith Classic.
2) Mercer County Titans (4-1) – The Titans picked up a couple of wins last week to improve to 4-1 on the season. They beat Garrard County 89-70 and Adair County 73-47. Carter Baughman scored 26 points to lead the Titans in the win against Garrard County while Trevon Faulkner added 18 points.
The Titans begin district play this week as they travel to East Jessamine then host rival West Jessamine later in the week.
3) Boyle County Rebels (2-1) – The Rebels overcame a 17 point deficit to beat Somerset 79-74 last week. Bryce Slone score 30 points including eight 3-pointers while Jason Alexander added 26 points in the win. The Rebels also beat East Jessamine 75-57. Bryce Slone once again led all scores with 23 points while Alexander added 15 points.
This week the Rebels will host North Hardin before traveling to play one of the 11th Region’s better teams in Lexington Christian.
4) Southwestern Warriors (2-1) – Last week was a good week for the Warriors. They played two games and picked up two wins by pretty good margins. They started the week beating Casey County 66-34 then ended the week with a win over archrival Wayne County 77-42.
This week the Warriors are on the road as they travel to Glasgow then go to Pike County Central to play Elliott County in the Buffalo Wild Wings Shootout.
5) West Jessamine Colts (2-0) - The Colts only played one game last week but it was a win against Danville 87-61. Dalton Bruner scored 27 points and pulled down 10 rebounds in the win. Drew Cook added 25 points.
West Jessamine has a challenging week ahead as they host Lincoln County then travel to Mercer County for a 46th District rivalry matchup.
6) Somerset Briar Jumpers (4-1) – The Jumpers had a busy week last week, playing three games in five days. They started the week beating Barbourville 71-65, lost to a good shooting Boyle County 74-79, then beat district foe Rockcastle County 82-54. In the win versus Barbourville, Jake Cothron led all scores with 24 points. Trae Harmon scored 28 points in the loss to Boyle County. In the win over rival Rockcastle, Jase Bruner had a double-double with 15 points and 10 rebounds.
This week the Jumpers travel to district rival Casey County then return home to host McCreary Central.
7) Wayne County Cardinals (1-2) - The Cardinals split a couple of games last week as they beat Lincoln County 63-57 but lost to rival Southwestern 42-77. In the game versus Lincoln County, Spencer Thomas and Aubrey Weaver each scored 16 points while Stetson Simpson added 15 points.
The Cardinals travel to Pulaski County this week before hosting Danville.
8) McCreary Central Raiders (3-1) - The Raiders had a busy week last week playing three games. They beat Barbourville 81-66 and Danville 55-44, but lost to Beechwood 53-58. In the win over Barbourville, Derrick Paige led the way with 21 points and snagged 17 rebounds. Hunter Jones added 18 points in the win.
The Raiders spend this week on the road traveling to Garrard County, Somerset, and Bell County.
9) Lincoln County Patriots (2-3) - The Patriots split a pair of games last week losing to Wayne County 57-63 but beat Madison Southern 69-59. In the loss to Wayne County, Chase Phillips scored 19 points while shooting 82% from the field.
This week the Patriots travel to West Jessamine then return home to host Bryan Station.
10) Danville Admirals (0-3) - The Admirals are still celebrating their football state title and have not quite transitioned into basketball mode. They lost both games this past week. They lost to West Jessamine 61-87 and McCreary Central 44-55.
The Admirals look to right the ship as they travel to Wayne County this week then host Sayre the following night.
11) Garrard County Golden Lions (1-4) - The Golden Lions started the week losing to Mercer County 70-89, but picked up their first win of the season over Washington County 69-66. They lost to Sayre in a double overtime thriller 65-66 to finish the week. In the win over Washington County, Justin Preston scored 23 points and Trevor Jones added 19 points.
The Golden Lions are at home this week as the host McCreary Central and East Jessamine.
12) East Jessamine Jaguars (0-5) – The Jaguars dropped three games on the road this week losing to Frederick Douglass 60-74, Boyle County 57-75, and Corbin 77-99.
The Jaguars will start district play this week as they host Mercer County. They will then travel later in the week to Garrard County.
13) Rockcastle County Rockets (1-4) – The Rockets lost their first two games this week losing to Estill County 49-51 and Somerset 54-82. They notched their first win of the season versus Phelps winning 66-26. In the game versus Estill County, Devin Mullins led scoring with 17 points.
This week the Rockets travel to Anderson County then return home to host Casey County.
14) Casey County Rebels (0-4) – The Rebels lost both games they played this week losing to Southwestern 34-66 and Pulaski County 34-77.
This week is all about district play for the Rebels as they host Somerset before traveling to Rockcastle County.
15) Burgin Bulldogs (2-4) – The Bulldogs picked up their first win of the season beating Walden 57-52. They lost to Robertson County 41-84 but got another win against Frederick Fraize 46-42.
This week the Bulldogs are on the road at Model, Community Christian (Paducah), and Christian Fellowship.
16) Kentucky School f/t Deaf Colonels (0-8) – The Colonels lost a good game to Riverside Christian 33-43. They then travelled to Pennsylvania where they played in the WPSD HC Classic.
This week the Colonels will be traveling to Frankfort Christian then hosting the 21st Annual KSD Basketball Classic
12th Region Results from Week 2:
Somerset 71 at Barbourville 65
Garrard County 70 at Mercer County 89
McCreary Central 81 at Barbourville 66
East Jessamine 60 at Frederick Douglas 74
Washington County 66 at Garrard County 69
Riverside Christian 43 at Kentucky School f/t Deaf 33
Estill County 51 at Rockcastle County 49
Boyle County 79 at Somerset 74
Casey County 34 at Southwestern 66
Burgin 57 at Walden 52
Lincoln County 57 at Wayne County 63
Danville 61 at West Jessamine 87
East Jessamine 57 at Boyle County 75
Pulaski County 77 at Casey County 34
Danville 44 at McCreary Central 55
Burgin 41 at Robertson County 84
Somerset 82 at Rockcastle County 54
Southwestern 77 at Wayne County 42
Lincoln County 69 vs Madison Southern 59 (Central Bank Classic)
Garrard County 65 vs Sayre 66 (Central Bank Heroes Classic)
McCreary Central 53 vs Beechwood 58(Central Bank Heroes classic)
East Jessamine 77 at Corbin 99 (Hometown Bank Classic)
Mercer County 73 at Adair County 47 (Lindsey Wilson College Classic)
Rockcastle County 66 vs Phelps 26 (PRTC Classic)
Lexington Catholic vs Pulaski County (PRTC Classic) - CANCELED
Kentucky School f/t Deaf 27 vs W. Pennsylvania School f/t Deaf 52 (WPSD HC Classic)
Kentucky School f/t Deaf 24 vs Ohio School f/t Deaf 52 (WPSD HC Classic)
Frederick Fraize 42 at Burgin 46
Upcoming 12th region Games Week 3:
Burgin at Model
Rockcastle County at Anderson County
North Hardin at Boyle County
Somerset at Casey County
Mercer County at East Jessamine
Kentucky School f/t Deaf at Frankfort Christian
McCreary Central at Garrard County
Southwestern at Glasgow
Wayne County at Pulaski County
Lincoln County at West Jessamine
McCreary Central at Somerset
McCreary Central at Bell County
Burgin at Community Christian (Paducah)
East Jessamine at Garrard County
Boyle County at Lexington Christian
Bryan Station at Lincoln County
West Jessamine at Mercer County
Casey County at Rockcastle County
Danville at Wayne County
Whitley County vs Pulaski County (Bobby Keith Classic)
Southwestern vs Elliott County (Buffalo Wild Wings Shootout)
Burgin at Christian Fellowship
Sayre at Danville