Another week of high level basketball has come and gone in the 11th Region. One thing we know for sure I who sits at the top without a doubt. After the #1 spot it gets a little crazy. You could make an argument for up to 5 different teams to be ranked #2. I'm going to do my best as always to break down this region!! Lets get to it!!
Team Of the Week Scott County - The Cardinals had one of the more impressive weeks to date this past week. They picked up 3 wins over 3 quality opponents, Bryan Station, Henry Clay, and John Hardin, cementing themselves as the favorite to win this region. Congrats to the Cardinals!!
Player of the Week Marques Warrick - Henry Clay - This week Marques Warrick takes home our player of the week. Marques hit a huge last second shot for the Blue Devils to help upset Madison Central early in the week. He finished the week averaging 17 points and 8 rebounds in 3 games helping lead Henry Clay to a 2-1 record for the week. Congrats to Marques!!
Team Rankings 1. Scott County (24-1) - The more things change the more they stay the same!! The Cardinals remain our #1 team for the 10th consecutive week. This week they may have been more impressive then any week to date. To begin the week they hosted Bryan Station in the much anticipated rematch from the previous week. The game was never close and the Cardinals won in impressive fashion 105-65!!! All that without Cooper Robb! Later in the week they picked up wins over Henry Clay and another beat down over a top 25 team in John Hardin by 25!! What a week!! Up next the Cardinals head to Woodford County and host Floyd Central.
2. Madison Central (19-6) - We have a new #2!! The Madison Central Indians take over the #2 spot this week. The Indians finished 2-1 this past week dropping a heartbreaker on the road at Henry Clay on a last second shot but bounced back nicely by dismantling Harrison County and then taking Ballard to the woodshed on Saturday. The win over Ballard was the worst loss from a Kentucky team Ballard has had in the past 20 years. Impressive run lately for the Indians and enough to move them up to the #2 spot. This week Madison Central heads to Lexington Catholic and hosts Franklin County.
3. Lexington Christian Academy (19-6) - At one point this season the Eagles sat at 7-6 and I had them ranked as low as 7th. I stated at that time that we were waiting for the real LCA to show up. Well they have!! Winners of 12 in a row the Eagles are finally starting to look like the team we all expected at the beginning of the season. This past week LCA picked up wins over Covington Holy Cross and Lafayette. The Lafayette win was HUGE and keeps LCA in the chase for the ever elusive 1 seed in the 43rd District. This week presents two more district challenges for the Eagles as they head to Tates Creek and then host Lexington Catholic to end the week.
4. Bryan Station (19-4) - The Defenders take their first drop in the rankings this week after the big loss at Scott County. However they did bounce back and beat a good Frankfort team on the road by 20. Unfortunately for Bryan Station they are now ensured of playing the 2/3 district first round game against Henry Clay in the 42nd District tournament. This week Bryan Station heads to Lafayette, hosts Tates Creek, and heads to Pulaski County this weekend. The schedule gets no easier for the Defenders.
5. Lafayette (17-6) - The Generals drop a few spots this week after a tough loss to LCA which has opened the door for someone to take over the #1 seed in the 43rd District. All was not lost this past week as they picked up wins over Lexington Catholic and Anderson County. Up next the Generals host Bryan Station and Trinity so another big week for Lafayette.
6. Lexington Catholic (15-7) - The Knights are a tough team to figure out for me because they have only played 2 games in the last 2 1/2 weeks. Its hard to really tell where they are at or where they could be. Last week in their only game they fell to Lafayette in a close game. Up next Lexington Catholic hosts Madison Central before heading to Lexington Christian and Taylor County to end the week. Have to wonder how the Knights will respond to playing more games this week then in the previous 2 weeks combined.
7. Henry Clay (14-10) - The Blue Devils had a nice week picking up a big win over Tates Creek, beating Madison Central, losing closely at Scott County, and beating another good team in South Laurel. Coach Brown seems to have his team trending in the right direction as we hit the stretch run. This week the Blue Devils hosts 3 games against Franklin County, Paul Laurence Dunbar, and Woodford County.
8. Paul Laurence Dunbar (8-13) - The Bulldogs have won 4 of their last 5 games and the one loss was on the road to Paris by 1. PLD finished 2-1 on the week dropping the game at Paris but bounced back and beat Tates Creek by 20 without their top 2 scorers playing and then dismantled Western Hills over the weekend. Up next Dunbar will head to Frederick Douglass and Henry Clay.
9. Frankfort (11-11) - The Panthers finished the week 1-2 but the two losses came without leading scorer Juanya Frank who was serving a 2 game suspension then ended the week with big man John Tillman suffering a serious ankle injury that could see him miss more time. They fell to Shelby County and Bryan Station but got past Eastern on Saturday to somewhat salvage the week. Up next the Panthers host Bourbon County before hitting the road to Mercer County.
10. Woodford County (14-9) - The Yellow Jackets finished the week 1-1 with a blowout win over Western Hills then a head scratching 1 point loss to Casey County. Not sure how that Casey County loss happened but it did. A tough week looms for Woodford County as they host West Jessamine and Scott County then head to Henry Clay.
11. Frederick Douglass (12-13) - The Broncos had a full slate last week playing 5 games and finishing 3-2 with wins over Bourbon County, Tates Creek, and Sayre and dropping games to Bryan Station and Knox Central. Up next the Broncos host Paul Laurence Dunbar and Floyd Central.
12. Franklin County (11-14) - The Flyers are starting to play better down the stretch they finished 1-2 last week. A close loss on the road at Marion County and a close home loss to PRP but a win over Bourbon in between. Next up the Flyers head to Henry Clay and Madison Central, a tough week for sure.
13. Sayre (10-14) - The Spartans finished the week 1-1 with a win over Tates Creek and a loss to Frederick Douglass. This is the 3rd year in a row the Spartans have picked up a win over Tates Creek, impressive for them. Up next the Spartans head to Nicholas County and host Wolfe County.
14. Model (15-9) - The Patriots are continuing to drop in our rankings after a nice start to the season. They have now dropped 6 in a row and look to get back on track this week as they head to Robertson County in the only game on the schedule.
15. Madison Southern (10-14) - The Eagles picked up a win over East Jessamine last week but fell to Somerset, Clinton County, and GRC. Up next for Madison Southern they hit the road to play Pikeville.
16. Western Hills (7-15) - The Wolverines finished 1-3 on the week with a 1 point win over Model and losses to Woodford County, Bullitt Central, and Paul Laurence Dunbar. This week Western Hills hosts Nicholas County and Berea.
17. Tates Creek (4-21) - The losing streak has reached 12 for the Commodores after 5 losses last week to Henry Clay, Sayre, Frederick Douglass, Dunbar, and Knox Central. The only thing keeping Tates Creek from the bottom of the rankings is I think they would probably beat Berea head to head but at this point who knows. This week they head to LCA and host Bryan Station.
18. Berea (11-9) - The Pirates won their only game of the week last week outlasting Nicholas County by 2. This week they host Owsley County, and Burgin, head to Lee County, and end the week at Western Hills.
Games of the Week Tuesday Feb. 6th
Bryan Station @ Lafayette
Madison Central @ Lexington Catholic
Friday Feb. 9th
Lexington Catholic @ Lexington Christian Academy
Trinity @ Lafayette