BluegrassPreps.com 11th Region Week 8 Recap and Rankings
Another week of bad weather put a damper on some games this past week in the 11th Region. The end of the week and weekend did allow for some games to be played and gave teams a chance to get back out there after a long lay off. Also, FINALLY we are going to get our 1 vs. 2 matchup for the first time this week.
Team Of The Week - Lexington Christian Academy
The Lexington Christian Academy Eagles continued their good play of weeks past by finishing the week 3-0 and the champions of the 11th Region All A Classic. Carter Hendrickson, Kyle Rode, and Austin Hall continue to lead the Eagles. Good luck this week at EKU as LCA represents the 11th Region at the All A State Tournament, I think they have an excellent chance to win the tournament.
Player of the Week - Cooper Robb
Scott County guard and Charlotte commit, Cooper Robb, is this week's 11th Region Player of the Week. Cooper helped lead the Scott County Cardinals to the championship of the Toyota Classic this past week. Cooper continues to be the leader on and off the floor for the Cardinals. Congrats to Cooper on Player of the Week!!
1. Scott County (18-1) - The Cardinals continue to roll as they claimed the championship of the Toyota Classic this past week. They finished the week 3-0 with wins over Woodford County, Lafayette, and LaRue County. Up next the Cardinals travel to Bryan Station for the much anticipated matchup of the top 2 teams in the Region and two top 5 teams in the state, then finish the week hosting Frederick Douglass and traveling to Taylor County.
2. Bryan Station (16-1) - The Defenders also continue their winning ways. Weather took away a couple games but Bryan Station was able to get in a home game against Paris where they cruised to a 20 point win. This week the Defenders host Scott County in the game of the year so far in the 11th Region, then they host Sayre and travel to Paul Laurence Dunbar to end the week.
3. Lafayette (13-5) - Lafayette competed in the Toyota Classic this past week in Georgetown and finished 1-1 with a big win over 8th region favorite Oldham County and then played Scott County tough, just falling short towards the end of the game. The Generals look to be peaking at the right time and still hold that 1 seed in the 43rd District. This week, the Generals hit the road to face off with Paul Laurence Dunbar and Henry Clay.
4. Madison Central (14-5) -The weather got the best of the Indians last week as they were only able to get 1 game in. They picked up a 30 point win over Lincoln County at the end of the week. Isaiah Cozart and Dustin Geralds continue their stellar play. Up next, the Indians host Montgomery County, West Jessamine, and then welcome Trinity to Richmond this weekend. A great opportunity for the Indians to pick up a marquee win!!
5. Lexington Catholic (14-6) -The Knights picked up 2 wins this past week over Paul Laurence Dunbar and West Jessamine. The win over Dunbar proves important as it kept Lexington Catholic just 1 game behind Lafayette for the 1 seed in the 43rd District standings. This week the Knights host Tates Creek in their only contest on the schedule.
6. Lexington Christian Academy (13-6) -The Eagles are starting to be what most people thought they would be at the beginning of the season. They have now won 6 games in a row including 3 wins this past week to claim the 11th Region All A crown. The statewide All A tournament begins this week and LCA has a great first round matchup with University Heights. I do believe the winner of that game will be the ALL A State Champion.
7. Henry Clay (10-7) -The Blue Devils split a pair of games this week against some pretty good competition. Early in the week they dropped a close game to an always good Ballard team but bounced back nicely traveling to Floyd Central and coming away with a double digit victory. Up next the Blue Devils head to Trinity and then host Lafayette to end the week. Big week for Henry Clay.
8. Woodford County (13-6) -Woodford County traveled to Scott County this past week to play in the Toyota Classic where they met up with a couple of really good teams. They dropped games to Scott County and Oldham County but did pick up a win over Taylor County. Shout out to Coach Wilson for playing a really tough schedule this year. Up next for the Yellow Jackets they head to Collins and host Frankfort to end the week.
9. Frankfort (9-8) -The week started off really good for the Panthers as they handled Berea in the opening game of the 11th Region All A tournament but then they got handled pretty good by LCA in the championship. The Panthers schedule doesn't get any easier this week as they head to Woodford County and George Rogers Clark!
10. Paul Laurence Dunbar (4-11) - The Bulldogs only had one game on the schedule this past week and they dropped a home game to Lexington Catholic that was much closer then the final score indicated. The Bulldogs record doesn't reflect the level they've played at all year as they have played an impressive schedule and in my opinion have better wins then any of the teams ranked below them. Up next the Bulldogs host Lafayette before heading to Bryan Station and South Laurel to end the week.
11. Frederick Douglass (9-8) - The Broncos split a pair of games this past week picking up a win over Tates Creek and dropping a close one to a pretty good Pendelton County team. Up next the Broncos have two really tough road games with Knox Central and Scott County.
12. Model (15-3) - The Patriots dropped a game this past week for only the third time all season as LCA gave them a pretty good beat down in the opening round of the 11th Region All A tournament. They bounced back nicely with a win on the road over Jackson City. This week they host Garrard County before heading to Berea to play Paris in an interesting matchup in my eyes.
13. Madison Southern (9-10) - Madison Southern picked up 2 wins this past week over Sayre and Southwestern. Overall a pretty good week for the Eagles. Only one game on the schedule this week as Madison Southern hosts West Jessamine.
14. Franklin County (7-11) - The Flyers picked up a game at the Toyota Classic this week and dropped a close game to Wayne County. A big week for FC this week as they have 4 games on the schedule. They head to Danville before hosting Shelby County and Western Hills, then finish the weekend against Cordia at George Rogers Clark.
15. Sayre (8-12) - The Spartans finished the week at 1-2 with a loss to LCA and Madison Southern but ended the week with a win over Villa Madonna. This week the Spartans host Bryan Station before heading to Breathitt County to end the week.
16. Western Hills (5-11) - The Wolverines jump up a couple spots this week despite not playing any games. Tates Creek's loss to East Jessamine partnered with a win by Western Hills over East Jessamine gives a case for the Wolverines to be ahead of them. This week the Wolverines head to Shelby County and Franklin County.
17. Tates Creek (4-14) - The Commodores dropped two close games this week to Frederick Douglass and East Jessamine. The schedule gets no easier as they host George Rogers Clark and head to Lexington Catholic to end the week.
18. Berea (9-7) - After a promising start to the season the Pirates have dropped 4 straight and 6 of their last 8. This past week they fell to Frankfort and Oneida Baptist. Up next the Pirates host Jackson County, head to Middlesboro, then come home to face Nicholas County.
Games of the Week
Monday Jan. 22nd
Scott County @ Bryan Station
Tuesday Jan. 23rd
Henry Clay @ Trinity
Thursday Jan. 25th
Lexington Christian Academy vs. University Heights @ EKU
Friday Jan. 26th
Lafayette @ Henry Clay
Trinity @ Madison Central