BluegrassPreps.com 11th Region Week 7 Recap and Rankings
One of the most anticipated weeks in the 11th region was sadly cut short this past week due to weather!! Many of us in the area were looking forward to an impressive slate of games being played this past week but mother nature had other plans!! Some big time district matchups did take place and other good games around the region. So lets get to it!!
Player of the Week - Eric Powell - Lafayette
Eric Powell from Lafayette is our player of the week. This past week Eric helped lead the Generals to an impressive win over 43rd District opponent Lexington Catholic. He scored 21 points in the win over Lexington Catholic. Congrats to Eric on being named our player of the week!!!
Team of the Week - Paul Laurence Dunbar
The Bulldogs collected two wins this week over a pair of city opponents, Tates Creek and Henry Clay. While I wasn't too surprised PLD came away with a win over Tates Creek, the Henry Clay win is very impressive considering how the two teams have played to this point in the season. Congrats to Paul Laurence Dunbar on being the team of the week.
1. Scott County (15-1) -The much anticipated showdown between Scott County and Bryan Station was unfortunately cancelled due to snow. However, the Cardinals still had an impressive week picking up wins over a good Madison Central team and district opponent Sayre. Cooper Robb continues to have a great season pouring in 23 against Madison Central early in the week. Up next the Cardinals head to Grant County before opening up play in the Toyota Classic against Woodford County.
2. Bryan Station (15-1) - As mentioned above the showdown between Scott County and Bryan Station was postponed. The Defenders did however have quite the scare this week as they had to hold off Henry Clay down the stretch and pulled out a 1 point victory in a game they trailed most of the way. Up next the Defenders host a very good Paris team on Friday night.
3. Lafayette (12-4) - The Generals picked up arguably the biggest win of the past week when they went to Lexington Catholic and came away with a 74-58 victory. That win has put Lafayette in the drivers seat for the 1 seed in the always tough 43rd District. As mentioned, Eric Powell had a stellar performance for Lafayette in their only game of the week. Up next the Generals head to Georgetown to play in the Toyota Classic where they face off with Oldham County, the top team in the 8th region.
4. Madison Central (13-5) - The Indians dropped the only game they played last week, but it was on the road to our number 1 team, Scott County. From all accounts I read on the game the Indians were right in it most of the way but let the Cardinals get away from them during a short stretch in the 3rd quarter. Up next the Indians host West Jessamine before heading to Lincoln County to end the week.
5. Lexington Catholic (12-6) -Tough week for the Knights as they dropped an important 43rd District game to Lafayette and dropped to the 2 seed in the current District standings. They were able to bounce back impressively by throttling Tates Creek and holding them to only 18 points in the process. Up next for Lexington Catholic they hit the road to play East Jessamine, Paul Laurence Dunbar, and West Jessamine at a neutral site.
6. Lexington Christian (10-6) - The Eagles only played one game this past week but it was a blowout victory over a pretty good West Jessamine team. Seems like LCA is starting to find themselves and at the right time. This week starts the ALL A, where the Eagles are one of the favorites across the state to bring home the title. They begin regional play against Sayre.
7. Frankfort (8-7) - The Panthers had a HUGE week this past week picking up 2 district wins over Franklin County and Western Hills and in the process securing the 1 seed in the 41st District tournament for the first time in over 10 years!!! Congrats to the Panthers on that milestone. This week begins ALL A play for Frankfort as they start off with Berea in the regional tournament. Look for Frankfort to give LCA a run for the 11th Region ALL A crown.
8. Henry Clay (9-6) - The Blue Devils started off the week by almost pulling out a big road win at Bryan Station but fell short at the end falling by 1 point. Next, they dropped a game in a big way at Paul Laurence Dunbar to end the week 0-2. Up next the Blue Devils look to get back on track with a trip to Tates Creek before hosting Ballard then ending the week at Floyd Central.
9. Woodford County (12-4) - The Yellow Jackets started off the week by beating Sayre but ended the week losing to district rival Franklin County and in the process losing a shot at the 1 seed in the 41st District. This means Woodford and Franklin will face off in the always tough 2/3 game in February. This week the Yellow Jackets host Western Hills before they head to Georgetown to play in the Toyota Classic as they open with hosts Scott County.
10. Paul Laurence Dunbar (4-10) - The Bulldogs early season tough schedule is finally starting to pay off as they picked up 2 wins this week. First, they handled Tates Creek with ease before beating a good Henry Clay team to end the week. The win over Tates Creek gave PLD 2 wins in the district and has made them a contender to upset the pre destined top 3 this year in the 43rd. Another chance this week for them to help their own cause as they host Frederick Douglas before Lexington Catholic comes to Man O War for another interesting 43rd District matchup.
11. Frederick Douglass (8-7) - The Broncos didn't have any games this past week as all their scheduled games were cancelled due to snow. This week they head to Paul Laurence Dunbar, host Tates Creek, and play Pendleton County on a neutral site.
12. Model (14-2) - Last week I said the Patriots had a chance to move up the rankings if they were able to beat Madison Southern, well they did just that in their only game of the past week. Up next another big chance to make a statement as they play the winner of the LCA/Sayre matchup in the 11th Region ALL A.
13. Franklin County (7-10) - The Flyers started the week off rough losing a close game to rival Frankfort but bounced back nicely with a win over Woodford County. This week Franklin County hosts Shelby County in the only game they have for the week.
14. Madison Southern (7-10) - Rough week for the Eagles as they lost a close one to Model. This week they host Sayre in their only scheduled game of the week.
15. Sayre (7-10) - The Spartans dropped two games last week in a big way to Woodford County and Scott County. This week they open up play against LCA in the ALL A Regional tournament before heading to Madison Southern and Villa Madonna to end the week.
16. Tates Creek (4-12) - The Commodores had a chance to prove they deserved to be ranked ahead of some teams they hadn't been all year but didn't cease the opportunity. They fell hard to Dunbar to start the week then got beat down by Lexington Catholic in a game they only managed to score 18 total points. Up next Tates Creek hosts Henry Clay before heading to Frederick Douglass and East Jessamine to end the week.
17. Berea (9-5) - The Pirates only had one game last week and they dropped it to Owsley County. This week they face off with Frankfort in the first round of the ALL A regional tournament before hosting Burgin and heading to Robertson County to end the week.
18. Western Hills (5-11) - The Wolverines picked up a win over East Jessamine early in the week before they dropped a district game to Frankfort to ensure themselves the 4 seed in the 41st District tournament to end the week. Up next Western Hills heads to Woodford County in their only game this week.
Games of the Week
Monday Jan. 15th
11th Region ALL A Classic Begins @ LCA
Wednesday Jan. 17th
Toyota Classic Begins @ Scott County
Thursday Jan. 18th
Ballard @ Henry Clay
Friday Jan. 19th
Paris @ Bryan Station