A HUGE week of games on the docket this week in the 11th Region. A lot of district matchups that will help determine seeds and set the tone for the stretch run. The top teams in the region continue to distance themselves from the pack.
Team of the Week -Lexington Catholic
The Knights get this weeks team of the week. Lexington Catholic finished the week 2-0 with wins over LCA and St. Henry but the win over LCA really stands out. In the always tough 43rd District the Knights have established themselves as the team to beat by starting the season 2-0 in District with another big one looming this week. Congrats to Lexington Catholic.
Player of the Week -Michael Moreno - Scott County
Lets be honest, Michael Moreno could have an argument for player of the week every week. This past week he led the Cardinals to a 2-0 record while averaging 19.5 points and 11 rebounds. Congrats to Michael on a big week and being named this weeks player of the week.
Team Rankings 1. Scott County (13-1) - The Cardinals of Scott County remain at the number 1 spot as they have all season. They collected two victories this past week over Henry Clay and Evansville Bosse. This might be the biggest week of the season thus far for the Cardinals as they host Madison Central, head to Sayre, and then get ready for a top 10 showdown at Bryan Station! This will be the week where we see if Scott County is still the favorite in the 11th as they have been all season.
2. Bryan Station (14-1) - The Defenders just keep on racking up the big time wins this season. Last week they took care of Lafayette and Madison Central. No matter when you think this might be the one where someone gets them they just answer the bell. This week will be about as tough as it gets for Bryan Station. 3 District games as they host Henry Clay, Frederick Douglass, and then the showdown with Scott County to end the week. If the Defenders get through this week unscathed then they will no doubt be the new region favorite.
3. Lexington Catholic (11-5) - The Knights had a nice week picking up 2 wins over Lexington Christian and St. Henry. The win over Lexington Christian was HUGE as far as district standings are concerned in the always tough 43rd District. This week will go a long way in determining if the Knights can stay out front in the race to the 1 seed in the district as they host Lafayette then head to Tates Creek. The Knights end the week by hosting rival Mason County on Saturday.
4. Lafayette (11-4) - The Generals had a chance to pick up a big win and move up the rankings this past week against Bryan Station but weren't able to knock off the Defenders. They bounced back later in the week by picking up a win over Tates Creek and improving to 3-0 in the district. A HUGE game this week against Lexington Catholic which will determine who is in the drivers seat for the 1 seed in the 43rd District then they host Lexington Christian in another district seeding game. The standings in the 43rd will really start to take shape after this week.
5. Madison Central (13-4) - The Indians were in a similar situation as Lafayette with a chance to knock off Bryan Station but just fell short. Madison Central did pick up a nice win at the end of the week over Male. Only one game on the schedule this week for the Indians but its a big one as they head to Scott County.
6. Henry Clay (9-4) - The Blue Devils come in at #6 this week. Last week they got a win over Sayre but fell to Scott County in two district games. This week Henry Clay heads to Bryan Station in another district game before going to Paul Laurence Dunbar and hosting Frederick Douglass to end the week. Another big district standings week in the 42nd District.
7. Lexington Christian Academy (9-6) - The Eagles are still looking for that signature win this season. This past week they had another chance but dropped a game to Lexington Catholic before pulling out a close one against Dunbar and then beating Whitley County. Up next the Eagles host a really good West Jessamine team and then head to Lafayette for a district matchup.
8. Frankfort (6-7) - Your eyes do not deceive you, this week I have the Frankfort Panthers at the 8 spot. After falling early in the week at Danville the Panthers came back with a HUGE win over Woodford County Friday night to improve to 3-0 in the 41st District. Ive said it before, when the Panthers have their whole team they are really good. Hopefully they can keep everyone out there the rest of the season. Up next the Panthers host Franklin County in another big time 41st District matchup then head to Western Hills to end the week.
9. Woodford County (11-3) - The Yellow Jackets dropped their only game last week to Frankfort. They don't have much time to worry about it as they host Sayre and then head to Franklin County in another pivotal district seeding matchup. If the Yellow Jackets want to keep pace with Frankfort and still have a shot at the 1 seed they will really need to win this week.
10. Frederick Douglass (8-7) - The Broncos inaugural season continues with ups and downs. Frederick Douglass has won 3 of the last 4 but a head scratching loss at home to Harrison County this past week really comes as a surprise. This week will be another test for the Broncos as they hit the road for two district games at Bryan Station and Henry Clay.
11. Paul Laurence Dunbar (2-10) - Like I mentioned last week Dunbar's record looks really bad but it comes against one of the toughest schedules to date in all of Kentucky. They've lost 10 games by an average of 8 points. Last week they fell to Madison Central and then LCA made a late 4th quarter comeback to beat the Bulldogs. This week will finally settle who is the better team between Dunbar and Tates Creek as they play early in the week then Dunbar heads to Frankfort Saturday for what I think is an intriguing matchup.
12. Tates Creek (4-10) - The Commodores picked up their first 11th region win of the season this past week over Franklin County then fell hard to Lafayette to end the week. Tates Creek has yet to play anyone in the city of Lexington remotely close and Dunbar's win over LCA early in the year is why they are one spot ahead of Tates Creek right now. This week will give the Commodores a chance to take a big step as they host both Dunbar and Lexington Catholic in 43rd District matchups before hitting the road to face 13th Region #1 Knox Central.
13. Franklin County (6-9) - The Flyers up and down season continues. As I've stated before just when the Flyers look like they might be turning the corner they drop a head scratcher. They fell at Tates Creek early in the week but bounced with a big win at "rival" Western Hills to end the week. Up next the Flyers head to Frankfort High for another huge district matchup then host Woodford County to end the week.
14. Madison Southern (7-9) - The Eagles dropped two very close games on the road this week to Frederick Douglass and Montgomery County. This week features an interesting matchup as the Eagles host 13-2 Model before ending the week with Berea.
15. Sayre (7-8) - The Spartans dropped three games this past week to Henry Clay, Marion County, and Boone County. This week gets no easier as they head to Woodford County before hosting Scott County and Bell County to end the week.
16. Model (13-2) - The Patriots are off to an impressive start and picked up their 3rd win of the season over Lee County this past week and also got by rival Berea. This week will give us a chance to see where they really stand as they head to Madison Southern in their only game of the week.
17. Berea (9-5) - The Pirates are starting to come back to normal form as they dropped two close but winnable games this past week to Model and Owsley County. Up next they host Burgin before heading to Madison Southern to end the week.
18. Western Hills (4-10) - Another game against Franklin County and another loss. Its been 10 years since the Wolverines have beaten their rival. Early in the week they did get by Trimble County for their 4th win of the season. This week they host East Jessamine and Frankfort.
Games of the Week Tuesday Jan. 9th
Madison Central @ Scott County
Lafayette @ Lexington Catholic
Franklin County @ Frankfort
Dunbar @ Tates Creek
Henry Clay @ Bryan Station
West Jessamine @ Lexington Christian
Model @ Madison Southern
Friday Jan. 12th
Lexington Christian @ Lafayette
Woodford County @ Franklin County
Saturday Jan. 13th
Scott County @ Bryan Station
Mason County @ Lexington Catholic
Frederick Douglass @ Henry Clay