Big "Thank You" to the All A Committee

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 3.0
    Posts
    47,466

    Big "Thank You" to the All A Committee

    All these folks put on a "CLASS" operation and need to be applauded for their efforts.

    Classic Chairperson, Stan Steidel
    Treasurer, Gary Munsie
    Secretary, Mike Reeves
    Art Competition Coordinator, Kevin Sullivan
    Scholarship Program Coordinator, David Cowden
    Media Coordinator/Webmaster, Mike Reeves
    Supervisors of Officials, Ancie Casey/Dan Sullivan
    Frankfort Convention Center Director, Robin Antenucci

    Besides all the athletic tournaments they put together, this organization does a great job on the behalf of the academic side of things with it's scholarship program. Congrats to the 60 students who were awarded $1000 scholarships at the luncheon on Saturday afternoon under the direction of Dave Cowden.

    Speaking about the basketball tourney, while most have never been to this event you are missing out on 1.) a PERFECT venue for HS hoops and 2.) seeing some really good players, teams, & hoops action.

    While some of the teams will represent their Region in the Sweet 16 (both boys & girls), there are some that this is the next best thing. Also, the quality of hoops action you get to see is well worth the time to come an take in this event. You will also get to see teams and players you would, more than likely, never get to see.....and trust me, from what I got to see the past 4 days and nights was a HS hoops fans dream (quality players and exciting games). There are so many very good players that I would never have known about were it not for this tourney.

    I know this tourney gets made fun of on this board from time to time, but unless you take the time to come and watch, don't knock it.

    I'd personally like to thank Mike Reeves, Dave Cowden, & Nancy Ryan....my chit-chat crew all tourney long.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    7,647

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboy13 View Post
    Besides all the athletic tournaments they put together, this organization does a great job on the behalf of the academic side of things with it's scholarship program. Congrats to the 60 students who were awarded $1000 scholarships at the luncheon on Saturday afternoon under the direction of Dave Cowden.
    .[/B]
    A fact that is often overlooked by the detractors of the All-A. Glad you brought it up!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    16,371

    Wish I made it down this year, nothing better than chatting with Stan and Gary! Two of the best!

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    1,252

    And many, many thanks to Lawnboy13 for all of his efforts this week. I was not able to make it to Frankfort this week, but Lawnboy13 allowed me to keep up with everything. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

  5. #5
    Mustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 01
    Location
    Extreme Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    8,440

    I only made it down one night - Thursday to see Augusta play.

    While there I made sure I stopped by and told Stan that his vision of what this tournament was all about was fulfilled when Augusta upset us in the Saturday night regional, and a school from a tiny community, with only 104 students realized their dream of playing in a statewide tournament. The same held true for the Bracken County girls.

    I made sure that both Stan and Mike Reeves knew that even though we weren't represented in the tounament this year we still appreciate what they do, and for making this wonderful mid-season tournament a focus point of our regular season. We are also lucky that the Touchstone Energy folks sponsor the event to make it possible.

    The "A" State baseball tournament is back at Whitaker Park ballpark again this year, over Derby Day weekend with the eight quarterfinalists competing. If you enjoy the All "A" Basketball tournament, give the All "A" Baseball Tournament a look-see. Whitaker Park (Forerely Applebes's), home of the Lexington Legends, is a wonderful venue, and when the spring weather is right, an incredible opportunity to take in some quality baseball. It is also the site of the KHSAA Swet 16 State Baseball tournament later on in June.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 3.0
    Posts
    47,466

    Quote Originally Posted by Smallhoops View Post
    And many, many thanks to Lawnboy13 for all of his efforts this week. I was not able to make it to Frankfort this week, but Lawnboy13 allowed me to keep up with everything. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
    It was my pleasure.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Maysville
    Posts
    2,314

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboy13 View Post
    Congrats to the 60 students who were awarded $1000 scholarships at the luncheon on Saturday afternoon under the direction of Dave Cowden.
    Over the years they have awarded over $1 million dollars in scholarship money, thanks in large part to Touchstone Energy. Their sponsorship ends this year after 20 years and the directors are actively working on finding a new corporate sponsor. Just a great event for all the small schools.

  8. #8
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,111

    They always do a first-rate job and I love it being at Frankfort.

  9. #9
    Mustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 01
    Location
    Extreme Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    8,440

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    They always do a first-rate job and I love it being at Frankfort.
    I'm still torn between favoring Richmond and Frankfort.

    Frankfort is a more fan-friendly arena, with a great playing condition in a more-compact facility. However, parking can be a nightmare, and for some reason the motels/hotels of Frankfort do not provide full queen sized beds which makes housing your team that much more difficult and costly.

    Richmond certainly has the parking, housing, food option advantage, but playing in cavernous EKU McBrayer arena loses something in atmosphere. I do prefer press row being right behind the benches/scorers table, rather that up in the crow's nest at Frankfort.

    I guess it's six of one and half-dozen of the other, and will be happy to go wherever Stan sends up and be happy to be in it.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 3.0
    Posts
    47,466

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    I'm still torn between favoring Richmond and Frankfort.

    Frankfort is a more fan-friendly arena, with a great playing condition in a more-compact facility. However, parking can be a nightmare, and for some reason the motels/hotels of Frankfort do not provide full queen sized beds which makes housing your team that much more difficult and costly.

    Richmond certainly has the parking, housing, food option advantage, but playing in cavernous EKU McBrayer arena loses something in atmosphere. I do prefer press row being right behind the benches/scorers table, rather that up in the crow's nest at Frankfort.

    I guess it's six of one and half-dozen of the other, and will be happy to go wherever Stan sends up and be happy to be in it.
    I can't complain ONE BIT about ANYTHING........parking (10 steps from the Media entrance), lodging (King size bed was wonderful & the price ), food options (, & Press Row (center court on the floor). Can't wait till next year.

  11. #11
    paNDA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Location
    Hebron
    Posts
    6,876

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboy13 View Post
    I can't complain ONE BIT about ANYTHING........parking (10 steps from the Media entrance), lodging (King size bed was wonderful & the price ), food options (, & Press Row (center court on the floor). Can't wait till next year.
    I hear one of the local restaurants have created the Lawnboy burger....No meat but a whole lot of cheese?

Top