All A a KHSAA event?

Page 7 of I heard once that the All A Tournament is not actually a KHSAA Event? Can someone expand on this? I thought of it while reading the 2a thread. Advertis... 104 comments | 7334 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #91
    MNCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    'can you keep it down? I'm trying to drink." - Don Draper
    Posts
    5,213

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    No matter how bad some of you want the All A Classic to be a state championship it is not a state championship.
    ^This.

    I think the All "A" Classic Basketball Tournament is one of the best things out there. Everyone should experience it and have the chance to see what it means to the small teams across the state that normally don't make appearances in their district/region/Sweet 16.

    But I can assure you without the All "A" Tournament - The Sweet 16 would easily survive.
    Advertisement

  2. #92
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    33,238

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    As long as it is not titled a State Championship, no.
    Is it okay for a team that wins a 1A football title to call it a state championship?

  3. #93
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    154,906

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Is it okay for a team that wins a 1A football title to call it a state championship?
    Is it okay for a team that wins a 5A football title to call it a state championship?

  4. #94
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    33,238

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Is it okay for a team that wins a 5A football title to call it a state championship?
    Yes.

    What do you say?

  5. #95
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    154,906

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Yes.

    What do you say?
    You know my answer. Go on. Try to trap me.

  6. #96

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,994

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Wow!

    Since when did accurately describing something turn into trying to "discredit" something.

    I guess it is the world we live in today...
    Forgive me....perhaps I'm reading too much in between the lines. And maybe discredit is too strong of a word. It just feels like there are a bunch of folks who are trying to make sure the "All A" understands where it ranks in the hierarchy. Obviously, much of this likely is tied to the resistance so many have towards classing basketball here in KY. I think it's pretty clear to everyone (at least it is to me) that the "All A" isn't an actual "state" championship. It is however, a very large, tournament, played across the entire state, including every region with all teams below a certain enrollment. I have no issue with the tournament winner being called "All A State Champs" simply because of the scope of the tournament. It just doesn't seem to be a big enough deal that so many folks are battling over semantics as to what this tournaments winner should be called, and why a pinpoint description is needed.

  7. #97
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    33,238

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    You know my answer. Go on. Try to trap me.
    I'm not trying to trap you. Just trying to understand. If I'm following you and your posts accurately, then your position is it is not a state championship unless it is recognized by the KHSAA as a state championship. It doesn't matter whether it is a statewide tournament that all schools of a certain size participate in or not. It is all about being a KHSAA event.

  8. #98
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    154,906

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I'm not trying to trap you. Just trying to understand. If I'm following you and your posts accurately, then your position is it is not a state championship unless it is recognized by the KHSAA as a state championship. It doesn't matter whether it is a statewide tournament that all schools of a certain size participate in or not. It is all about being a KHSAA event.
    Correct.

  9. #99

    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Time and Relaive Dimensions in Space
    Posts
    16,922

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    Forgive me....perhaps I'm reading too much in between the lines. And maybe discredit is too strong of a word. It just feels like there are a bunch of folks who are trying to make sure the "All A" understands where it ranks in the hierarchy. Obviously, much of this likely is tied to the resistance so many have towards classing basketball here in KY. I think it's pretty clear to everyone (at least it is to me) that the "All A" isn't an actual "state" championship. It is however, a very large, tournament, played across the entire state, including every region with all teams below a certain enrollment. I have no issue with the tournament winner being called "All A State Champs" simply because of the scope of the tournament. It just doesn't seem to be a big enough deal that so many folks are battling over semantics as to what this tournaments winner should be called, and why a pinpoint description is needed.
    If we want to brag about having just ONE state champ in basketball and having no classifications then you cannot logically call the All A Tournament, as amazing and great an event that it may be, a state championship. Then you are in a logical fallacy.

    I have no doubt the quality of play, level of competition, quality of teams, intensity, or anything of the sort. Winning the All A is an amazing accomplishment and hanging a banner of being "All A Tournament 2018 Champions" is 100% fine and I would encourage it. You just can't call it a state championship as it is not recognized as such by the only relevant HS Sports governing body in KY.

    Trinity has won a number of "titles" in club sports but they aren't official state championships and if any of those sports were ever recognized they would still not be considered state championships. That is fine, and I have no issue with it.

  10. #100

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    1,331

    [QUOTE=PepRock01;6488138]If we want to brag about having just ONE state champ in basketball and having no classifications then you cannot logically call the All A Tournament, as amazing and great an event that it may be, a state championship. Then you are in a logical fallacy.

    I have no doubt the quality of play, level of competition, quality of teams, intensity, or anything of the sort. Winning the All A is an amazing accomplishment and hanging a banner of being "All A Tournament 2018 Champions" is 100% fine and I would encourage it. You just can't call it a state championship as it is not recognized as such by the only relevant HS Sports governing body in KY.

    Trinity has won a number of "titles" in club sports but they aren't official state championships and if any of those sports were ever recognized they would still not be considered state championships. That is fine, and I have no issue with it.[/QUOTE]

    You may need to talk to someone at Trinity about that. If you go to Trinity's website, it proclaims:

    Lacrosse Rocks State Champs; Finish Season Ranked 5th Nationally

    The Trinity Lacrosse Rocks finished the 2017 season with a record of 18-3, a state championship, and a national ranking of fifth. The Rocks defeated Saint Xavier 11-9 on May 19 for the state title.


    I don't believe lacrosse is a KHSAA-sanctioned sport.

  11. #101

    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Time and Relaive Dimensions in Space
    Posts
    16,922

    [QUOTE=Smallhoops;6488167]
    Quote Originally Posted by PepRock01 View Post
    If we want to brag about having just ONE state champ in basketball and having no classifications then you cannot logically call the All A Tournament, as amazing and great an event that it may be, a state championship. Then you are in a logical fallacy.

    I have no doubt the quality of play, level of competition, quality of teams, intensity, or anything of the sort. Winning the All A is an amazing accomplishment and hanging a banner of being "All A Tournament 2018 Champions" is 100% fine and I would encourage it. You just can't call it a state championship as it is not recognized as such by the only relevant HS Sports governing body in KY.

    Trinity has won a number of "titles" in club sports but they aren't official state championships and if any of those sports were ever recognized they would still not be considered state championships. That is fine, and I have no issue with it.[/QUOTE]

    You may need to talk to someone at Trinity about that. If you go to Trinity's website, it proclaims:

    Lacrosse Rocks State Champs; Finish Season Ranked 5th Nationally

    The Trinity Lacrosse Rocks finished the 2017 season with a record of 18-3, a state championship, and a national ranking of fifth. The Rocks defeated Saint Xavier 11-9 on May 19 for the state title.


    I don't believe lacrosse is a KHSAA-sanctioned sport.
    It's not and I agree they shouldn't be calling then state titles.

  12. #102
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    44,215

    Per the update thread, KHSAA Commissioner Tackett is in attendance at the Beechwood/Knott Central game at the All "A" right now.

  13. #103

    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Posts
    672

    Quote Originally Posted by brooksville View Post
    IMO:

    1. State Championship
    2. All A “Statewide” Championship
    3. Region Championship
    4. District Championship

    To me that is the importance of the All A and I’m sure many schools will agree with me. Not sure why there is so much distaste for this tournament.

    As a green co fan (one region title-1976), a 5th region title would mean more to me.

  14. #104

    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Posts
    672

    Quote Originally Posted by MNCM View Post
    ^This.

    I think the All "A" Classic Basketball Tournament is one of the best things out there. Everyone should experience it and have the chance to see what it means to the small teams across the state that normally don't make appearances in their district/region/Sweet 16.

    But I can assure you without the All "A" Tournament - The Sweet 16 would easily survive.
    The teams that do well in the All A are often contenders in their own region as well. I would project 5or 6 of the boys teams as being legit regional contenders.

    What I don’t like is that private schools are included in a small school state tournament.

  15. #105

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Posts
    794

    I’m fine with the winners calling them self State Champs. It’s the only chance the majority of these school have to compete for State Championship. For everyone that doesn’t like the All A Classic you should push for classification in all sports, not just football and then the All A will go away.

Top