Barring a rout, I find December games to have minimal bearing on tournament prospects, particularly when the December game in question is the third game of the season and is decided by 3 points. Having seen North and Spencer play several times since they played in December, there is no way to use the December game as a barometer. North, in particular, is a much different team now. And yes, having seen both teams multiple times since that game, I do think North is better than Spencer. Just my opinion.
But "better" is based on a mythical series of games. If the two played a 7 game series, I'd give it to North. But any tournament meeting won't be a series; it's a one-and-done proposition. I definitely could see Spencer knocking off North in a tournament game and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
I won't argue with anyone's rankings. After all, they're just opinions - and frankly, even after the region tournament is over, many of us will be convinced that the best team didn't necessarily win. In a one-and-done environment, the reality is that the best team DOESN'T always win. Bottom-line, we can all go home at the end of the season convinced we are right and nobody can convince us otherwise...LOL.
And I think you may be overlooking one of the region's hottest teams, Grant County. Winners of 8 of 9 and possessing a potent offense, the Braves have earned the 32nd district's #1 seed... Not to mention Woodford County, which is a dramatically different team if Hunter Penn is back. Remember, the Jackets did something that South Oldham, Spencer County, North Oldham, Collins, Grant County, and Simon Kenton couldn't do - beat Oldham.
Rankings are for fun.
Although I maintain veto authority, and the final rankings stated above are my own, I do get input weekly from a couple of unnamed individuals who have seen most of the games I've seen. And I've been able to see a lot of key region matchups plus a number of games against good out of region teams this year. These games have really helped me to develop comparisons, not just the simple review of scores / stats.
- Oldham County vs. South Oldham
- Oldham County vs. North Oldham
- Oldham County vs. Spencer County
- Oldham County vs. Collins
- North Oldham vs. Spencer County
- Spencer County vs. St. X
- Spencer County vs. Warren Central
- Spencer County vs. Holmes
- Collins vs. South Oldham
- Collins vs. Simon Kenton
- Simon Kenton vs. Fern Creek
- Simon Kenton vs. Oldham County
- Grant County vs. South Oldham
- South Oldham vs. DeSales
- South Oldham vs. Warren Central
- Henry County vs. North Oldham
- Henry County vs. Collegiate
- Oldham County vs. Walton-Verona
- North Oldham vs. Anderson County
- South Oldham vs. Woodford County
- North Oldham vs. Woodford County
- Spencer County vs. Bowling Green
- South Oldham vs. Waggener
- North Oldham vs. Moore
- Oldham County vs. Beechwood
I do think Oldham County has clearly established themselves as the team to beat - but I also think there's enough talent in the region that Oldham better put together a very focused effort or they will get upset. There's plenty of hungry talent in the region to pull it off.