6th Region Week 5 Review
1. Butler (12-3): The Bears continued to win in Week 5, notching three straight wins and claiming the Ashland Invitational Tournament (AIT) title. Butler pulled away to beat longtime rival DeSales 62-42 in the AIT title game. The Bears are slated to host the Colts for another matchup on Friday, Jan. 4.
2. Jeffersontown (10-4): The Chargers finished 2-1 in Week 5, claiming back-to-back wins in the Jean Schumm Operation Parent Classic at South Oldham High School, beating Holmes and Dixie Heights after falling to North Oldham. Jeffersontown is one of four 6th Region boys' basketball teams with 10-plus wins.
3. Bullitt Central (10-3): The Cougars finished 1-2 in the Magnolia Bank Holiday Classic at LaRue County High School. Bullitt Central beat Southwestern then dropped games to LaRue County and Muhlenberg County. Through 13 games, Jacob Mann is averaging 19.3 points per game for the Cougars.
4. Fern Creek (8-7): The Tigers reeled off three straight wins in Week 5, topping KIPP Nashville Collegiate (Tenn.), Walnut Hills (Ohio) and host Kenwood (Tenn.) in the Zaxby's Holiday Tournament. Fern Creek has won five of its last six games.
5. Pleasure Ridge Park (8-5): The Panthers won two of three games in the South Oldham High School-hosted holiday event. Pleasure Ridge Park's Week 5 stint consisted of wins over Dixie Heights and North Oldham. In another matchup, PRP suffered a five-point loss to rival Male.
6. DeSales (10-3): The Colts claimed back-to-back wins over host Ashland Blazer and Seneca before losing to familiar foe Butler in the Ashland Invitational Tournament title game. Matthew Ruckreigle and Keegan Brewer each continue to average 20 or more points per game for the DeSales boys' basketball team.
7. Valley (7-7): The Vikings excelled during the Marshall County Holiday Classic, posting wins over Apollo, Hopkins County Central and host Marshall County. Valley fared well after having dropped two of its previous three games.
8. Southern (8-6): The Trojans defeated host Eastern in overtime before dropping back-to-back games to Central and Mayfield in the City of Middletown Holiday Classic. Southern has lost four of its last five games after opening the season 7-2.
9. Doss (6-10): Following a loss to the host team, Doss registered back-to-back wins over Moore and Warren Central in the Taylor County Holiday Classic. The Dragons' 61-50 victory over Moore halted a three-game losing skid.
10. Moore (6-5): The Mustangs lost back-to-back games in Week 5, falling to John Hardin and Doss in the Taylor County Holiday Classic. Moore entered the new year on a three-game losing skid.
11. Bullitt East (8-6): The Chargers won two of three games in the Meijer Holiday Classic at Bowling Green High School, registering wins over Monroe County and Owensboro.
12. Fairdale (5-10): The Bulldogs beat Gulf Breeze (Fla.) while losing to Morristown East (Tenn.) and Harrison (Ga.) in Week 5.
13. Iroquois (4-10): Continuing to slide, the Raiders dropped three games in Week 5 - losing to Henry County, Garrard County an Western Hills.
14. Whitefield Academy (4-9): The Wildcats also continued to slide in Week 5, dropping games to Metcalfe County, host Danville and Webster County in the Hilliard Lyons Holiday Classic.
15. Western (4-8): The Warriors split two games in the Legacy Nissan Dribble Drive Challenge, edging former 14th Region champion Knott County Central before falling to host South Laurel.
16. North Bullitt (4-12): The Eagles dropped games to Tennessee opponents South Doyle and White County before defeating in-state foe Letcher County Central (14th Region) in the Sunshine Classic in Daytona Beach, Fla.
17. Holy Cross (6-7): The Cougars posted wins over Wolfe County and Rose Hill Christian while losing to Raceland in Week 5.
18. Beth Haven (3-7): Winning one of three games in the Berea Holiday Tournament, Beth Haven handled Heritage Academy prior to stumbling versus both Kentucky Country Day and Shawnee.
19. Evangel Christian (3-10): The Eagles have not played since December 22 and are scheduled to host Frankfort Christian for their next game on January 8.