5th Region Week 6 Review
1. John Hardin (16-0): Flexing its muscle, John Hardin remained undefeated after notching wins over Campbellsville, LaRue County and Marion County. Region frontrunner John Hardin faced its toughest test against Marion County. John Hardin managed to defeat Marion County 57-51 to capture the 2A, Section 3 Championship. Alex Matthews is still the catalyst for the Bulldogs, averaging 24 points and 11 rebounds per game.
2. Elizabethtown (12-0): Remaining unbeaten along with John Hardin, Elizabethtown notched wins over Bullitt Central and Central Hardin. Jaquais Franklin continues to lead the Panthers. Franklin is averaging 18 points and 5 rebounds per game for the Panthers.
Elizabethtown is due to host John Hardin in a showdown on January 21.
3. Marion County (10-4): The Knights eliminated Taylor County but then lost to John Hardin in the 2A, Section 3 Tournament. But Marion County managed to push John Hardin during the tournament matchup. Jamison Epps is averaging 18 points and 13 rebounds per game for the Knights.
4. Bardstown (9-6): The Tigers are on a three-game winning streak after claiming victories over Thomas Nelson and Nelson County. JJ Traynor is averaging a double-double of 18.6 points and 11.6 rebounds per game for the Bardstown boys' basketball team.
5. LaRue County (9-5): The Hawks topped Thomas Nelson before losing to John Hardin in the 2A, Section 3 Tournament. LaRue County has lost three of its last five games after opening the season 7-2. Delivering offensively, Mark Goode is averaging 25.2 points per game for the Hawks.
6. Taylor County (7-10): The Cardinals defeated Nelson County prior to falling to Marion County in the 2A, Section 3 Tournament. Nick Knifley and Kybrin Smith are combining to pace the Cardinals. The tandem of Knifley and Smith are teaming up to average 32 points per game for the Taylor County boys' basketball team.
7. North Hardin (6-10): The Trojans notched back-to-back wins, beating Central Hardin and Fort Knox. North Hardin managed to edge Central Hardin 61-60. Naasir Johnson entered the week averaging over 16 points per game for the Trojans.
8. Central Hardin (5-9): The Bruins dropped back-to-back games to North Hardin and Elizabethtown. Central Hardin slipped back into the loss column after opening 2020 with two straight wins. Gavin George is averaging 12.1 points and 6.5 rebounds per game for the Bruins.
9. Campbellsville (5-9): After suffering a lopsided loss to John Hardin, Campbellsville beat Washington County convincingly. Malachi Corley is leading the Campbellsville boys' basketball team in both scoring (14.6 ppg) and rebounding (7.4 rpg).
10. Nelson County (8-10): The Cardinals have suffered five straight losses are dropping games to Taylor County, Spencer County and Bardstown. Bryce Riley continues to lead improving Nelson County. Riley is averaging nearly 20 points per game for the Cardinals.
11. Adair County (6-8): After stumbling in a matchup versus Barren County, Adair County upended Thomas Nelson 68-58. Through 14 games, Lucas Pooler is averaging a team-high 14.1 points per game for the Indians.
12. Thomas Nelson (5-11): Continuing to slide, Thomas Nelson dropped games to LaRue County, Bardstown and Adair County. The Generals entered the week on a seven-game losing skid. Through his first 10 games in the 2019-20 boys' high school basketball season, Andrew Mason is averaging 20 points per game for the Generals.
13. Bethlehem (6-7): The Eagles suffered losses to non-region rivals North Bullitt and DeSales to slide to 6-7. Kruse Harned (15.6 ppg) and Lain Peake (12.1 ppg) are combining to lead the Bethlehem boys' basketball team in the 2019-20 season.
14. Hart County (6-6): Splitting games, Hart County bounced back to beat Caverna after falling to Franklin-Simpson in a 2A, Section 3 Tournament matchup. Jordan Burden is leading the Raiders with an 18.5 points per game scoring average.
15. Fort Knox (3-7): Following back-to-back losses to Elizabethtown and Burgin, Fort Knox beat Burgin 65-50. Chase Bellamy is leading Fort Knox with a 16 points per game scoring average.
16. Caverna (3-10): The Colonels defeated Russellville 73-64 before falling to Hart County. Pulling away to win convincingly, Hart County defeated Caverna 92-63. DeShante Richardson, Drew Rhodes and Jaxton Dunagan are each averaging double figures in scoring for the Colonels.
17. Green County (2-12): The Dragons lost to Metcalfe County and witnessed a losing skid extend to five games. Through 14 games, Gunner Bush and Braden Sluder are combing to average 30 points per game for the Dragons. Bush is averaging a team-best 16.4 points per game for the Green County boys' basketball team.
18. Washington County (1-13): Remaining in the loss column, Washington County fell to Campbellsville. Through 14 games, Josh Burkhead is averaging a team-high 13.2 points per game for the Commanders. Burkhead is the only Washington County player averaging double figures in the scoring column.