4th Region Week 1 Review
1) Warren Central (1-0) - 11/30 84-45 W at Apollo
Previous Rank: 1
This Week: 12/4 at Owensboro, 12/8 vs. Paducah Tilghman (at South Warren)
The Dragons opened their region title defense in style, throttling Apollo on the road in a running clock effort. The Dragons were led by Kobe Brents with 21 points while Kamden Lawrence was a perfect 5/5 from the perimeter to contribute 20.
2) Bowling Green (1-0) - 11/30 84-53 W at #9 Todd County Central
Previous Rank: 2
This Week: 12/4 vs. #3 Glasgow, 12/8 vs. Central Hardin (at South Warren)
The Purples held Todd Central to only three first half field goals, pouncing for a 45-24 halftime lead. Though Todd Central closed within 15 by the end of the third, the Purples were never seriously threatened. Trevor Dennis led the way with 22 points. Highly touted freshman Turner Buttry had 12 in his first action with Bowling Green. They have a big region matchup with Glasgow on Tuesday before a game against BGP ranked Central Hardin.
3) Glasgow (2-0) - 11/27 79-41 W Butler County, 11/30 64-52 W #5 Greenwood
Previous Rank: 3
This Week: 12/4 at #2 Bowling Green, 12/7 vs. #16 Russell County, 12/8 vs. #14 Russellville
The Scotties caught some bad breaks in the offseason with the departure of Brents and then injury to Franklin. But you wouldn't know it from the opening results, including a big homestand against Greenwood. The Scotties trailed that game by five at the half, but surged ahead in the third quarter 45-36, and never trailed in the fourth. Nick Sorrell posted a double double with 22 points and 12 rebounds. They have all-4th Region matchups this week, but the biggie is the road trip to Bowling Green. Glasgow hasn't beaten Bowling Green in their last seven matchups, and haven't won at Bowling Green since 1994.
4) Clinton County (2-0) - 11/26 66-49 W Casey County, 11/30 45-39 W at # 15 Franklin-Simpson
Previous Rank: 4
This Week: 12/4 at #7 Monroe County, 12/7 vs. #17 Metcalfe County, 12/8 vs. #5 Greenwood (at South Warren)
The close call against Franklin is a definite red flag, but for now, we'll hold the Bulldogs steady at #4. Seth Stockton led the Bulldogs with 23 points against Casey County, combining with Harlan's 22 for most of Clinton County's scoring. We'll get a very good read on them this week after a road trip to Monroe and a virtual road game against Greenwood at South Warren.
5) Greenwood (0-1) - 11/30 52-64 L at #3 Glasgow
Previous Rank: 5
This Week: 12/4 at #16 Russell County, 12/6 at #11 Allen County-Scottsville, 12/8 vs. #4 Clinton County (at South Warren)
Jack Roberts had half of Greenwood's 26 first half points against Glasgow, but couldn't will the Gators to a road win against higher ranked Glasgow. They should settle in well with road trips to Russell County and Allen County-Scottsville before the big test against Clinton County.
6) Logan County (1-1) - 11/29 49-59 L Clarksville Academy (TN), 12/1 70-33 W Bethlehem (at Campbellsville)
Previous Rank: 6
This Week: 12/4 at Ohio County, 12/7 vs. #15 Franklin-Simpson
The Cougars dropped their season opener for the first time in three years, but got Coach Tinsley the first win of his Cougar tenure in blowout fashion at Bethlehem. They'll look to start their district run against a Franklin-Simpson team that they inexplicably could not solve a year ago.
7) Monroe County (3-0) - 11/27 54-44 W at #15 Franklin-Simpson, 11/30 61-52 W #17 Metcalfe County, 12/1 77-63 W at Campbellsville
Previous Rank: 10
This Week: 12/4 vs. #4 Clinton County, 12/7 vs. #9 Barren County
No Kirkpatrick hasn't knocked the Falcons down as of yet - they start out with a sterling 3-0 record. The game against Clinton County will draw the eyes, but the district game against Barren County is more crucial.
8) Warren East (1-1) - 11/27 71-56 W #17 Metcalfe County, 11/30 56-59 L at Edmonson County
Previous Rank: 7
This Week: 12/4 vs. #14 Russellville, 12/7 vs. #13 South Warren, 12/8 vs. Apollo (at South Warren)
The Raiders opened with a win for the first time in three years, but dropped their third straight against nearby nemesis Edmonson County. Keep an eye on comparative scores as Cumberland County knocked off Edmonson the next night. They open district play against South Warren on Friday.
9) Barren County (1-2) - 11/27 45-56 L Green County, 11/30 71-48 W at #11 South Warren, 12/1 61-66 L at Whitley County
Previous Rank: 8
This Week: 12/7 at #7 Monroe County
It was a rough start for the Trojans in the post-Coomer era, sandwiching losses around a win over shorthanded South Warrne. They'll have to be sharper when they open district play at Monroe County.
10) Todd County Central (0-3) - 11/27 43-63 L at Clarksville Academy (TN), 11/30 53-84 L #2 Bowling Green, 12/1 65-79 L Kenwood (TN)
Previous Rank: 9
This Week: 12/3 at University Heights, 12/4 vs. East Robertson (TN), 12/7 at #14 Russellville
The Rebels took it on the chin to open the year, facing a daunting schedule. It surely doesn't get any easier when they visit BGP-top 5 UHA on Tuesday.
11) Allen County-Scottsville (2-0) - 11/27 71-61 W #11 South Warren, 11/30 74-64 W #12 Russellville
Previous Rank: 13
This Week: 12/6 vs. #5 Greenwood, 12/7 at #12 Cumberland County
New head coach Brad Bonds has had no difficulty thus far in the move to the boys' side of the ball, starting 2-0. It's their best start since starting 10-0 in the 08/09 season.
12) Cumberland County (1-2) - 11/27 61-70 L Adair County, 11/30 64-80 L Campbellsville, 12/1 73-62 W at Edmonson County
Previous Rank: 14
This Week: 12/4 at #17 Metcalfe County, 12/7 vs. #11 Allen County-Scottsville
The Panthers perhaps shouldn't be jumping two spots with two losses, but the win over Edmonson County is a good look. Now, they just need to sustain momentum - a massive problem for them last year.
13) South Warren (0-2) - 11/27 61-71 L at #13 Allen County-Scottsville, 11/30 48-71 L #8 Barren County
Previous Rank: 11
This Week: 12/7 at #8 Warren East, 12/8 vs. Edmonson County
The Spartans are still missing Gavin Spurrier who was selfishly out winning a football state title instead. It's tough to read the Spartans too much at this point.
14) Russellville (0-1) - 11/30 64-74 L at #13 Allen County-Scottsville
Previous Rank: 12
This Week: 12/4 at #8 Warren East, 12/7 vs. #10 Todd County Central, 12/8 at #3 Glasgow
Elijah Kemp had 23 points on 10/14 shooting to lead the Panthers in their loss to AC/S, followed by Naylor's 22. Their game against Todd County is crucial for seeding.
15) Franklin-Simpson (0-2) - 11/27 44-54 L #10 Monroe County, 11/30 39-45 L #4 Clinton County
Previous Rank: 15
This Week: 12/7 at #6 Logan County
They may have been losses, but the closeness of the results against Monroe and Clinton County are encouraging. It appears to be another year of extremely low scoring for the Wildcats. They'll need to keep up the great defense.
16) Russell County (0-2) - 11/27 47-60 L Somerset, 12/1 54-89 L Madison Southern (at North Laurel)
Previous Rank: 16
This Week: 12/4 vs. #5 Greenwood, 12/7 at #3 Glasgow
Tough to read much on the Lakers as of yet, but they've done nothing to assuage concerns about the massive graduation hit they took a year ago. Greenwood and Glasogw probably won't be the best games to show much either.
17) Metcalfe County (1-2) - 11/26 89-71 W Butler County, 11/27 56-71 L at #7 Warren East, 11/30 52-61 L at #10 Monroe County
Previous Rank: 17
This Week: 12/4 vs. #12 Cumberland County, 12/7 at #4 Clinton County, 12/8 vs. Green County
Baby steps for the Hornets as they win their season opener for the first time since 2010, which was also their last winning season.
Last edited by DragonFire; Dec 4, 18 at 09:46 AM.
Tags for this Thread