42nd & 43rd district set-up

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    110

    42nd & 43rd district set-up

    Does anyone know why these 2 districts are split up the way they are? How come the Lexington public schools are no longer in the same district?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    mooremiller31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    Frankfort, KY
    Posts
    1,412

    When Scott County was moved into the 11th region and the two Jessamine County schools were moved out they redistricted the region. Just makes sense to have Scott County with Henry Clay and Bryan Station just based on location. Also Lexington Catholic is about a mile from Lafayette so as far as location goes the districts all make sense now. The old districts were all the public city schools in one and then the 3 privates and the Jessamine County schools in the other.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    110

    Quote Originally Posted by mooremiller31 View Post
    When Scott County was moved into the 11th region and the two Jessamine County schools were moved out they redistricted the region. Just makes sense to have Scott County with Henry Clay and Bryan Station just based on location. Also Lexington Catholic is about a mile from Lafayette so as far as location goes the districts all make sense now. The old districts were all the public city schools in one and then the 3 privates and the Jessamine County schools in the other.
    Thanks mm31! Been wondering for years. I still don't like it though.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,018

    Quote Originally Posted by Slim859 View Post
    Thanks mm31! Been wondering for years. I still don't like it though.
    I'd say more people would be upset if Scott County weren't in a district with the Lexington Publics.

    From the competitive balance standpoint, there were just too many Lexington schools to leave in one district with Bryan Station, Dunbar, Henry Clay, Lafayette, Lexington Catholic, and Tates Creek.

    Since the last time there was major redistricting (~2004), Lexington Christian Academy has been on the rise, and it would appear that they are trying to earn a seat at the table as well.

    I like the Lexington schools being broken up evenly over two districts (as opposed to only one).

    The schools most hurt by the redistricting were most likely Scott County (going from the 8th to the 11th and into a tough district) and Madison Central (usually has a cakewalk to go into region a winner, but now has to contend with 4 Lexington-area/Scott County schools instead of only the 2 Lexington-area as in the past.

    Things will be interesting the next time there's major redistricting. I don't really know if there's a good answer with the 11th as far as who should and shouldn't be in it. They are in the middle of everything, so they are definitely effected by how the other regions are set up. Right now, it seems that there aren't really enough Lexington schools (with Scott County) to make a third district.

    If the new school on Winchester Road goes through (and opens in August 2017), I'm guessing they are added to the 42nd with Scott County, Henry Clay, Bryan Station, and Sayre.

    Scott County splitting into two schools (and opening) by that time might make enough for three Lexington districts, there'd be 11 schools total between Fayette and Scott Counties, but who else comes to give us a round 12? 11 is probably too many for 2 districts, but not enough for 3.

    With 3 "Lexington/Scott County" districts, you'd possibly have something like:
    District 1 - Scott County (A), Scott County (B), Bryan Station, New Lexington School (Winchester Rd)
    District 2 - Dunbar, LCA, Lexington Catholic, Lafayette
    District 3 - Henry Clay, Tates Creek, Sayre, ??????

    The question then becomes who is the 4th school in District 3? After that, there's which areas/schools make up District 4?

    Competitively speaking, maybe Madison Central & Model with Henry Clay, Tates Creek and Sayre while sending Berea and Madison Southern to a different region? That makes 3 Lexington districts that are all pretty stacked.

    Should competitive balance matter and a team like Madison Central that is significantly larger than all of the schools around it be forced to play in the Lexington region? If so, should Model get drug along with them?

    Is a better answer to bring the Jessamine County schools back into the 11th? To bring George Rogers Clark and/or Bourbon County?

    How do current 11th Region schools like Frankfort, Franklin County, Western Hills, and Woodford County fit? Are they better off in other regions?

    If Scott County splits, are they possibly better off in another region, all things considered? Splitting them into two schools is going to hurt their athletics programs.

    There are definitely a lot of questions and many different scenarios that could occur.

  5. #5
    mooremiller31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    Frankfort, KY
    Posts
    1,412

    I always thought it would make sense to move the three Frankfort schools (FC, WHHS, and FHS) to the 8th region. Then move Woodford County into the 43rd with Dunbar, Lafayette, LCA, and Lexington Catholic. Take Tates Creek and put them in the 42nd and leave the 44th the same. I guess all that would be open to change if a new school does go through in Lexington. There are so many different options though. You could always bring back the Jessamine County schools and have something like East and West Jessamine, Dunbar, and Woodford County in a district. Who knows? It's always fun to speculate. Not that it really matters you can always guarantee interesting matchups in district play with the way the 42nd and 43rd are set up now.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,018

    Quote Originally Posted by mooremiller31 View Post
    I always thought it would make sense to move the three Frankfort schools (FC, WHHS, and FHS) to the 8th region. Then move Woodford County into the 43rd with Dunbar, Lafayette, LCA, and Lexington Catholic. Take Tates Creek and put them in the 42nd and leave the 44th the same. I guess all that would be open to change if a new school does go through in Lexington. There are so many different options though. You could always bring back the Jessamine County schools and have something like East and West Jessamine, Dunbar, and Woodford County in a district. Who knows? It's always fun to speculate. Not that it really matters you can always guarantee interesting matchups in district play with the way the 42nd and 43rd are set up now.
    Agreed, especially on the Franklin County schools. That's a bit more of a haul from Lexington than most any other school and historically, they haven't been competitive in terms of regional championships, etc.

    IMO, there's always been a huge difference between Madison Central and the rest of the schools in their district. I think that if they ended up being a part of the 11th that Berea and Madison Southern weren't a part of, then Model would probably go with them too (parents, administration, and even kids at Model are probably more worried about their SAT/ACT scores anyway, so I don't see them putting up a fuss about it... and they still have the All A).

    In all honesty, I think Madison Central's overall profile could even be hindered by that somewhat, as playing those teams twice a year typically won't do anything to prepare them for region.

    If the regional tournament were to be held anywhere other than EKU, I'd want to see it in Memorial Coliseum, but I'm not really sure if the logistics would work out with UK. Recently, some of the parking for it has been razed for some new dorms and other facilities. Going to UK, our Spring Break week coincided with the Sweet 16 almost every year, so you'd have the problems associated with that as far as parking, classes, etc. go. Then there's also the schedule for the Women's team. If I were guessing, there's probably a reason it was being held at EKU instead of UK when that deal was being ironed out, and now parking would be an even greater issue, only adding to the problem.

    If you're making the 11th the best region it can be, I like the Lexington schools, Scott County, Madison Central, Woodford County, and the Jessamine County schools as a part of it, but that is one loaded region as far as everything else goes and I'm not sure that it's really something that would be agreeable all things considered.

  7. #7
    mooremiller31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    Frankfort, KY
    Posts
    1,412

    The region will never be at Memorial again. No parking plus they charge more then any other venue and you have to pay for union work such as a plumber, electrician, etc... The region will rotate between the Frankfort Civic Center and EKU for the next 6 years. In my opinion the ideal place to have it is Alltech Arena at the horse park. The problem there though is they don't have any locker room space and it's more set up for horse shows and livestock sales. I just don't see how more then half the teams in the region are located in Fayette County yet those schools are the ones that always have to travel during the region tournament.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,018

    Quote Originally Posted by mooremiller31 View Post
    The region will never be at Memorial again. No parking plus they charge more then any other venue and you have to pay for union work such as a plumber, electrician, etc... The region will rotate between the Frankfort Civic Center and EKU for the next 6 years. In my opinion the ideal place to have it is Alltech Arena at the horse park. The problem there though is they don't have any locker room space and it's more set up for horse shows and livestock sales. I just don't see how more then half the teams in the region are located in Fayette County yet those schools are the ones that always have to travel during the region tournament.
    Really wish it could be held at Memorial Coliseum. At the same time, living at the corner of Rose & Euclid at one point and seeing the parking situation there, I definitely understand why they can't have it. The logistics of parking everyone at the only other place that comes to me off the top of my head, K-Lot (the football stadium). If costs are already too high, adding shuttles does nothing but hurt.


    If Frankfort is getting the regional, they've definitely got to move to the 8th and take it from Henry County... manifest destiny. Just joking. Well, kinda.

    In all seriousness though, when was the Frankfort Civic Center built? I'm assuming it's the old Farnham Dudgeon, is that correct?

  9. #9
    mooremiller31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    Frankfort, KY
    Posts
    1,412

    Yes it's Farnham Dudgeon same place

Top