35th District Tournament

Page 3 of Hate when teams get to rank each other to determine seeds. My school was on the bad end of that deal in 2004, because teams don't rank teams based on w... 48 comments | 4208 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    If I were ranking which teams CCH wants to face in the district from "face most" to "face the least" I'd say:

    BW
    Holmes
    HC
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    Tiger1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Posts
    4,833

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    Holmes could be a major spoiler.....knocking off the #1 team in the state in 1st round of Districts. If I am CovCath I am preparing to build a fence around McClendon.
    What poll has CovCath #1 in the state? The AP has Christian Co #1 which I believe is the right choice as they are better than CovCath.
    But I do agree Holmes will be a tougher game for CovCath than most believe.

  3. #33
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    24,522

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger1 View Post
    What poll has CovCath #1 in the state? The AP has Christian Co #1 which I believe is the right choice as they are better than CovCath.
    But I do agree Holmes will be a tougher game for CovCath than most believe.
    It's the old Litkenhouse ratings. Not sure what they call it today.

  4. #34
    Tiger1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Posts
    4,833

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    It's the old Litkenhouse ratings. Not sure what they call it today.
    Gotcha. Thanks

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    4,497

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    It's the old Litkenhouse ratings. Not sure what they call it today.
    Lit has CC #1 which is used by Courier Journal
    Cantrall has CC #1 which is used by Lexington Herald
    Maher has CC #3 because of strength of schedule (does not factor in out of state)
    .........does anyone utilize Maher??????
    AP voting list is always problematic for NKy sports. Since NKy does not have a newspaper, there is not a single AP voter for the states second largest population base. Explains why we have so few All-State award winners in all of our high school sports.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,974

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldercoach View Post
    Maybe you are correct. But you have to admit, take 100 9th Region fans that know the game and if they put all biases aside, an overwhelming majority would rat Covcath #1 in the District. When the right decision is made, is it necessary to trash and burn HC and BW? Just lose your cred when the right decision is obvious.
    Didn't trash and burn Beechwood or Holy Cross at all, in fact I even said they made the decision that was best for their program. Which I agree at the end of the day CovCath being the 1 seed is the right decision. However to act like teams don't do what is best for their program when it comes down to ranking teams for potential matchups, then that is just hiding from the truth. In this case what was best for their programs, also allowed the rankings to be right. I have no problem with that happening, because every other program in the state would do the same. So that is not bashing those teams at all, that is bashing the whole voting to rank teams for district play. Which it seems like the schools realize it isn't the best system either, because as someone mentioned the schools have now agreed to go to a blind draw in case of ties in the future.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,974

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    If I were ranking which teams CCH wants to face in the district from "face most" to "face the least" I'd say:

    BW
    Holmes
    HC
    Is Holy Cross fully healthy now? I definitely would like to go to these district games.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    4,497

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Didn't trash and burn Beechwood or Holy Cross at all, in fact I even said they made the decision that was best for their program. Which I agree at the end of the day CovCath being the 1 seed is the right decision. However to act like teams don't do what is best for their program when it comes down to ranking teams for potential matchups, then that is just hiding from the truth. In this case what was best for their programs, also allowed the rankings to be right. I have no problem with that happening, because every other program in the state would do the same. So that is not bashing those teams at all, that is bashing the whole voting to rank teams for district play. Which it seems like the schools realize it isn't the best system either, because as someone mentioned the schools have now agreed to go to a blind draw in case of ties in the future.
    Apologies, futurecoach. Incorrectly attached my trash and burn comment to your post. My bad and regrets. It should have been attached to tiger1's Post#11.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,974

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldercoach View Post
    Apologies, futurecoach. Incorrectly attached my trash and burn comment to your post. My bad and regrets. It should have been attached to tiger1's Post#11.
    No problem at all, it happens. I have done that many of times myself.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    4,497

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    No problem at all, it happens. I have done that many of times myself.
    Thank you.

  11. #41

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Sal View Post
    Was told the current athletic directors agreed to switch back to a blind draw to break ties in the future. The current system was put in place by previous ADs at each school.
    My understanding is it started with Ron Madrick back in the mid-2000s.

  12. #42
    statman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    Covington, KY
    Posts
    2,909

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Hate when teams get to rank each other to determine seeds. My school was on the bad end of that deal in 2004, because teams don't rank teams based on what they have done. They are ranking teams based on who they would like to try to play against.

    Which based on the system that is in place the Holy Cross and Beechwood coaches did exactly what they should have to give their teams the best chance to get out of district. By voting CovCath first it allowed both teams a chance for the first time in forever to make the districtswithout having to beat Holmes or CovCath. Very smart and correct move by them. I just hate the process and think it should be a blind draw at this point.
    Did you mean regionals? And define forever...HC last made the regional tournament in 2004 and Beechwood 2009

  13. #43
    Tiger1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Posts
    4,833

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldercoach View Post
    Apologies, futurecoach. Incorrectly attached my trash and burn comment to your post. My bad and regrets. It should have been attached to tiger1's Post#11.
    Please feel free to respond with your thoughts to my post #11, it's cool.

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,486

    Quote Originally Posted by statman View Post
    Did you mean regionals? And define forever...HC last made the regional tournament in 2004 and Beechwood 2009
    Was 2008/9 the year that Beechwood beat CCH in the first round of Districts?

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    Latonia
    Posts
    1,586

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Card View Post
    Was 2008/9 the year that Beechwood beat CCH in the first round of Districts?
    Yes, I remember vividly because the Districts were at HC and I was doing the scoreboard operating

Top