2019 Jack Kaelin Invitational Freshmen Basketball

Page 4 of The schedule for the 2019 Jack Kaelin Freshman Invitation Tournament has been adjusted due to the re-scheduled 35th district varsity seeding game betwe... 65 comments | 11928 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46

    Join Date
    Jan 19
    Posts
    9

    CovCath defeated Ryle 50 - 37 in the championship game last night. Game was tighter than the final score shows but the future looks pretty solid for both of those programs. Congrats to CovCath
    Advertisement

  2. #47

    Join Date
    Feb 12
    Posts
    274

    Quote Originally Posted by NKY United View Post
    CovCath defeated Ryle 50 - 37 in the championship game last night. Game was tighter than the final score shows but the future looks pretty solid for both of those programs. Congrats to CovCath
    Good news for Ryle but I would be rather shocked if CovCath wasn't solid. Aren't they always supposed to solid? Shouldn't it be the norm for CovCath? Sounds like it was a great tourney.

  3. #48

    Join Date
    Jan 19
    Posts
    9

    Yes indeed BirdDaddy, they are always supposed to be solid, that’s the expectation. I haven’t had a chance to watch a frosh tourney game in a long time so I just had to throw my two cents.

  4. #49

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Posts
    142

    Do they name all-tournament teams for Fresh and JV tournament this year?

    If so who were some of the players who received the honor?

  5. #50
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    39,468

    Quote Originally Posted by UCME View Post
    Do they name all-tournament teams for Fresh and JV tournament this year?

    If so who were some of the players who received the honor?
    Freshman All-Tournament Team:

    Beechwood - Brady Moore
    Boone County - Jiyanni Mhlanga
    Conner - Jaiden Elliott
    Cooper - Montana Phillips
    Cov Cath - Luke Lenhof, Leython Read, David Sullivan, Nick Boydston
    Dixie Heights - Logan Landers
    Highlands - Isaac Surrey
    Holmes - Derris Boyd
    Holy Cross - Dylan Arlinghaus
    Lloyd - Ryan Davis
    Ludlow - Ryan Gaiser
    Newport Central Catholic - Luke Wiles, Preston Baggett
    Newport - Robert Sanders
    Ryle - Connor Bishop, Brayden Smith, Dominick Amorello
    St. Henry - Owen Setters, Camden Fedders
    Scott - Riley Huff
    Simon Kenton - Hayden Carson
    Walton Verona - Brant Smithers

  6. #51
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    701

    Is Dylan Arlinghaus the son of Teddy?

  7. #52

    Join Date
    Dec 15
    Posts
    543

    Three in a row for CovCath, and I think about 7 out of last 8 maybe? Anyone? Lone loss to Holy Cross in 2016.

  8. #53
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    39,468

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Mitchell View Post
    Three in a row for CovCath, and I think about 7 out of last 8 maybe? Anyone? Lone loss to Holy Cross in 2016.
    History Of The NKY Jack Kaelin Freshman Regional Tournament

  9. #54
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    701

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Mitchell View Post
    Three in a row for CovCath, and I think about 7 out of last 8 maybe? Anyone? Lone loss to Holy Cross in 2016.
    That streak will come to an end a year from now -- I would expect St. Henry and Beechwood to play for the FROSH title next year, if the bracket allows it. The one caveat is what FROSH don't play at that level next year. That is the advantage that CovCath often has, most other programs have their best 9th graders on JV or Varsity, CovCath has the program depth to keep the lion-share of them at the freshmen level.

  10. #55

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    NKy
    Posts
    3,464

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    That streak will come to an end a year from now -- I would expect St. Henry and Beechwood to play for the FROSH title next year, if the bracket allows it. The one caveat is what FROSH don't play at that level next year. That is the advantage that CovCath often has, most other programs have their best 9th graders on JV or Varsity, CovCath has the program depth to keep the lion-share of them at the freshmen level.
    Covcath’ Frosh Stud, McHale didn’t play one freshman game this year.

  11. #56

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    NKy
    Posts
    3,464

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    That streak will come to an end a year from now -- I would expect St. Henry and Beechwood to play for the FROSH title next year, if the bracket allows it. The one caveat is what FROSH don't play at that level next year. That is the advantage that CovCath often has, most other programs have their best 9th graders on JV or Varsity, CovCath has the program depth to keep the lion-share of them at the freshmen level.
    You may be right, but CCH is getting a couple of kids who are not in their “feeder schools” again, which could change the narrative. St. Henry grade school is not a world-beater 8th Grade class (I’d argue the class before it was way better), but CCH feeder schools without question are down, and that allowed them to win every game, except one loss to St. Pius. The following year will be one of the better classes at CCH so the beat will go on.

  12. #57

    Join Date
    Dec 15
    Posts
    117

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    Is Dylan Arlinghaus the son of Teddy?
    No Teddy’s oldest is a fifth grader. This is Teddy’s cousin’s kid. Two of his nephews are on the team. Incidentally five Arlinghaus cousins/second cousins are on HC’s freshman team.

  13. #58

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Posts
    142

    I know there are a minimum of 3 non feeder(Ohio) kids that will be going to Cov Cath next year. All 3 of these kids will start immediately and ultimately could have significant impact for Cov Cath in the upcoming years. I wouldn't be surprised if two of them see JV minutes. Cov Cath just keep reloading!

  14. #59
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    701

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesport View Post
    Covcath’ Frosh Stud, McHale didn’t play one freshman game this year.
    I know. That is why I said CovCath has the program depth to keep the lion-share of them at the freshmen level. Next year Starks won't play one second of FROSH basketball, but at a lot of programs, as I'm sure you know, that happens with a lot more regularity.

  15. #60
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    701

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesport View Post
    You may be right, but CCH is getting a couple of kids who are not in their “feeder schools” again, which could change the narrative. St. Henry grade school is not a world-beater 8th Grade class (I’d argue the class before it was way better), but CCH feeder schools without question are down, and that allowed them to win every game, except one loss to St. Pius. The following year will be one of the better classes at CCH so the beat will go on.
    St. Henry didn't even win the CovCath league, St. Paul did (regular season) after beating St. Henry by 20 something a couple of weeks ago. They meet again at some point for the Tournament Championship. Paul beat Pius 2x by 20+ both times, Pius and Henry split in the regular season, and then Henry beat Pius in the semi's of the tourney last weekend.

Top