2018 Region Players of the Year per the KABC

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Location
    10th Region
    Posts
    1,073

    2018 Region Players of the Year per the KABC

    1st: JJ Reed, Paducah Tilghman

    2nd: Detorrion Ware, Christian County

    3rd: G’corian Gardner, Owensboro

    4th: Skyelar Potter, Warren Central

    5th: Mickey Pearson, John Hardin

    6th: Curt Lewis, Valley

    7th: Jay Scrubb, Trinity

    8th: Cobe Penny, Anderson County

    9th: Adam Kunkel, Cooper and CJ Fredrick, Covington Catholic

    10th: Will Philpot, Clark County

    11th: Eric “Boss” Boone, Bryan Station

    12th: Trevon Faulkner, Mercer County and Steven Fitzgerald, Pulaski County

    13th: Andrew Taylor, Corbin and Markelle Turner, Knox Central

    14th: Caleb Bonny, Estill County

    15th: Wyatt Battaile, Pikeville

    16th: Dalton Barnett, Menifee County

    per the KABC twitter account.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    69,376

    Congrats to those young men!

    Also congrats to Will Philpot of GRC for winning the 10th Region Player of the Year. Very nice player.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    42

    I was surprised to not see Dontaie Allen listed as 10th region POY.
    I'll admit i have not seen Philpot play this year. only going on stats Per KHSAA.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    1,033

    Quote Originally Posted by Father Time View Post
    I was surprised to not see Dontaie Allen listed as 10th region POY.
    I'll admit i have not seen Philpot play this year. only going on stats Per KHSAA.
    Allen is a Jr. so now you can sit back and enjoy him for another year, kid is special

  5. #5
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,359

    Quote Originally Posted by Father Time View Post
    I was surprised to not see Dontaie Allen listed as 10th region POY.
    I'll admit i have not seen Philpot play this year. only going on stats Per KHSAA.

    Seniors only awarded.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    42

    Quote Originally Posted by dognation2 View Post
    Allen is a Jr. so now you can sit back and enjoy him for another year, kid is special
    Enjoy him?? I think he put up like 45 on us LOL!
    Thanks for the clarification guys!

  7. #7
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    154,822

    Everyone, I just spoke to a NKY Head Basketball Coach and he told me and I quote:

    "KABC POY award. Idk who votes for that. I didn't get anything."

    To which I responded:

    Right - Sham organization.

    To which he responded:

    "It is."

  8. #8
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    22,163

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Everyone, I just spoke to a NKY Head Basketball Coach and he told me and I quote:

    "KABC POY award. Idk who votes for that. I didn't get anything."

    To which I responded:

    Right - Sham organization.

    To which he responded:

    "It is."
    You have to be a member and they email you your ballot.

  9. #9
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    154,822

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16 View Post
    You have to be a member and they email you your ballot.
    Which means it is a "Members only Club" and only their opinion on things and nothing more.

  10. #10
    gold sunrise's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 02
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    55,255

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    Congrats to those young men!

    Also congrats to Will Philpot of GRC for winning the 10th Region Player of the Year. Very nice player.
    I am thrilled for Will and his family. He is such a great young man, in the classroom, and on and off the court. Very deserving of 10th Region Player of the Year.

    Congrats Will!!!!!!.

  11. #11
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    22,163

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Which means it is a "Members only Club" and only their opinion on things and nothing more.
    Every coach in the state of KY, head and assistant can be a member. It is $20 per coach or you can get both boys' and girls' staff on there for $100. The KABC sends emails throughout the year reminding coaches to join so their players will be eligible for the POY award. Coaches can not vote for their own player. It is no secret on how players can get the award.

    Plus the school can pay for this membership because the coaches have to be members for players to receive an award.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Posts
    20,939

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Which means it is a "Members only Club" and only their opinion on things and nothing more.
    I agree totally with what you said. But knowing that if I was a coach I would make sure I was a member so that I could represent any players on my team that might be deserving of the award. jmo

  13. #13
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    154,822

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16 View Post
    Every coach in the state of KY, head and assistant can be a member. It is $20 per coach or you can get both boys' and girls' staff on there for $100. The KABC sends emails throughout the year reminding coaches to join so their players will be eligible for the POY award. Coaches can not vote for their own player. It is no secret on how players can get the award.

    Plus the school can pay for this membership because the coaches have to be members for players to receive an award.
    There are a lot of things about having to PAY to be a part of an award process that strike me as shady.

  14. #14
    paNDA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Location
    Hebron
    Posts
    6,878

    Awards are simply something you leave at your parents house when you grow up and move away. Having said that congrats to all those listed. I'm sure your parents will take good care of them.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    1,033

    Always one somebody to minimize something kids worked hard for. Regardless of who voted or what organization voted....congrats to every one of you hard working young men.

Top