2018/2019 BluegrassPreps Boys Basketball Week 5 Rankings Discussion

  1. #1
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    “The world’s problems begin with the belief that some human lives are more important than others.”
    Posts
    29,047

    2018/2019 BluegrassPreps Boys Basketball Week 5 Rankings Discussion

    1. Scott County
    2. Trinity
    3. Ballard
    4. Lexington Christian
    5. University Heights
    6. LaRue County
    7. Covington Catholic
    8. Waggener
    9. Collins
    10. McCracken County
    11. John Hardin
    12. Campbell County
    13. South Laurel
    14. St. Xavier
    15. Walton-Verona
    16. Bowling Green
    17. Henry Clay
    18. Cooper
    19. Clay County
    20. Newport
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Frankfort, Ky.
    Posts
    75

    Frankfort defeated #17 Henry Clay 92-80 on December 11th, which started Frankfort on their current 8 game winning streak. Henry Clay lost to Ballard and Butler since losing to Frankfort. Frankfort hasn't played a killer schedule, so far, but why no love for Frankfort?

  3. #3
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    “The world’s problems begin with the belief that some human lives are more important than others.”
    Posts
    29,047

    Quote Originally Posted by sadmaninky View Post
    Frankfort defeated #17 Henry Clay 92-80 on December 11th, which started Frankfort on their current 8 game winning streak. Henry Clay lost to Ballard and Butler since losing to Frankfort. Frankfort hasn't played a killer schedule, so far, but why no love for Frankfort?
    Just for transparency, I am not on the ranking committee. However, I think that it is just what you said - strength of schedule. They need more than just the win against a number 17 team.

    That’s not to say they aren’t having a great season. If they keep up that momentum, maybe they will find their way into the rankings.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    1,252

    Quote Originally Posted by sadmaninky View Post
    Frankfort defeated #17 Henry Clay 92-80 on December 11th, which started Frankfort on their current 8 game winning streak. Henry Clay lost to Ballard and Butler since losing to Frankfort. Frankfort hasn't played a killer schedule, so far, but why no love for Frankfort?
    Frankfort is having a great season and should be feeling really good about it. It should not let any rankings change that. However, in terms of being ranked, Frankfort has a good win over no. 17 Henry Clay, which is a positive. On the other hand, I don't believe any of the other teams it has beaten in its current 8-game winning streak has a winning record. Plus, it has two losses to teams that are currently unranked, Butler (12-3) and North Oldham (6-9). Based on those facts, I can see why Frankfort is not currently ranked.

    The great thing is that Frankfort will have plenty of opportunities to show why it should be ranked, starting with this Friday's game against Woodford County. A win against Woodford County, which is ranked ahead of Frankfort in the Cantrall Ratings, would be another good win for the Panthers.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 09
    Posts
    1,150

    Butler is #1 seed in the LIT but not on this list....

  6. #6
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    “The world’s problems begin with the belief that some human lives are more important than others.”
    Posts
    29,047

    Quote Originally Posted by fatsnbul View Post
    Butler is #1 seed in the LIT but not on this list....
    Do you know how the LIT is seeded? Male beat Butler but is seeded #7.

    The only team in the Top 20 that they’ve beaten is Henry Clay, but they also have a loss to Henry Clay.

    I don’t see anything that leads me to believe that they deserve to be ranked above the other Louisville teams that are ranked.

  7. #7
    silo11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Western KY
    Posts
    2,708

    They must seed by record because Butler shouldn't be the no. 1 seed.

    They are 5th seed at best, more likely a 7 or 8.

  8. #8
    Hip-Hop Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    6,061

    Frankfort loss to North oldham was during the end of football season. All star football games kept a few play from playing that game, but I think Frankfort will have plenty of chances to prove their rank.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    1,252

    The LIT is seeded based on the SETH Ratings, a formula developed by the JCPS Athletic Director. I agree with the thought that the fact that Butler is seeded no. 1 in the LIT does not mean it should be ranked in this poll. Butler will have a great opportunity to prove that it should be ranked when the LIT is played in two weeks.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    10,751

    Quote Originally Posted by True blue (and gold) View Post
    Do you know how the LIT is seeded? Male beat Butler but is seeded #7.

    The only team in the Top 20 that they’ve beaten is Henry Clay, but they also have a loss to Henry Clay.

    I don’t see anything that leads me to believe that they deserve to be ranked above the other Louisville teams that are ranked.
    The LIT is seeded by the SETH ratings-----which is a system that the athletic director for Jefferson County Public Schools came up with a few years ago. If I'm not mistaken the "SETH" comes from the name of his son. I think it is some type of weighted computer ranking system but there may be some human element built in. I don't know.

  11. #11
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,816

    Quote Originally Posted by Smallhoops View Post
    Butler will have a great opportunity to prove that it should be ranked when the LIT is played in two weeks.
    Yes they will.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 18
    Posts
    2,179

    Campbell County at 12 didn't they get beat by Beechwood?

  13. #13
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,816

    Quote Originally Posted by CollegefootballGuy69 View Post
    Campbell County at 12 didn't they get beat by Beechwood?
    Pretty much everybody but Scott County got beat by a Kentucky school the past two weeks. You have to look at the overall resume.

  14. #14
    jahearme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 04
    Location
    On the 18th, putting for birdie
    Posts
    7,462

    Quote Originally Posted by Hip-Hop Box View Post
    Frankfort loss to North oldham was during the end of football season. All star football games kept a few play from playing that game, but I think Frankfort will have plenty of chances to prove their rank.
    Agree 100%. Very nice team.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Apr 18
    Posts
    2,179

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16 View Post
    Pretty much everybody but Scott County got beat by a Kentucky school the past two weeks. You have to look at the overall resume.
    I am. Cooper destroyed Beechwood. I would Cooper above Campbell County.

Top