2017 State Tournament fun fact

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    16,070

    2017 State Tournament fun fact

    Of the 8 teams that made it to quarter finals, 2 were 4A teams, 3 were 5A teams, and 3 were 6A teams.

    Of the semi final teams, 1 is a 4A team, 2 are 5A teams, and 1 is a 6A team.

    So can schools in 1A thru 3A win a state Championship?

    Since 6A classification here is the breakdown of Champions:

    1A - 1
    2A - 0
    3A - 0
    4A - 2
    5A - 3
    6A - 4
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 17
    Posts
    52

    Yes the All A State championship, thanks to that we won't see classification l.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY, USA
    Posts
    161

    Cooper is actually 5A enrollment but requested to "play up" into 6A at the last alignment.

  4. #4
    statman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    Covington, KY
    Posts
    2,658

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Of the 8 teams that made it to quarter finals, 2 were 4A teams, 3 were 5A teams, and 3 were 6A teams.

    Of the semi final teams, 1 is a 4A team, 2 are 5A teams, and 1 is a 6A team.

    So can schools in 1A thru 3A win a state Championship?

    Since 6A classification here is the breakdown of Champions:

    1A - 1
    2A - 0
    3A - 0
    4A - 2
    5A - 3
    6A - 4
    It's happened fairly recently with Shelby Valley in 2010

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    16,070

    Quote Originally Posted by statman View Post
    It's happened fairly recently with Shelby Valley in 2010
    Seven years ago?

  6. #6
    statman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    Covington, KY
    Posts
    2,658

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Seven years ago?
    When you have been in the game for 23 years, 7 years seems like yesterday

  7. #7
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #teamstaywoke
    Posts
    84,018

    NCC made the final four last year. Lost to Sweet 16 champ, Dunbar by 8. 2A school.

    Murray made the Quarterfinals last year. Aren't they a 2A school also?

  8. #8
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #teamstaywoke
    Posts
    84,018

    Boyle County made the final four in 2015 and we really thought we would win state that year after beating Ballard. 3A school.

  9. #9
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    55,610

  10. #10
    polarbear98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    The Igloo, and the Glacier
    Posts
    3,828

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post

    #cantclassifysoonenough .

  11. #11
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    55,610

    Quote Originally Posted by polarbear98 View Post
    #worstideaever

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,104

    #Don'tScrewUpLikeIndianaDid
    #NeverClassify

  13. #13
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    55,610

    Questions for those who believe that the Commonwealth needs to improve high-school basketball by having multiple championships.

    How many? Two? Six? A state championship for every 40 or 50 schools, just to make little Johnny's relatives happy?

    How to qualify (e.g. "traditional" district and regional tournaments)? If the regional tournaments are problematic for many now based on travel times and distances, how will they be with multiple classes?

    Multiple state tournaments held where and when?

    How to structure regular season?

    The logistics can obviously be worked out; after all, nearly every other state classifies hoops. But then again, nearly every other state is wrong.

    Classification probably does make sense for populous states, but IMHO, we do it right.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,104

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    Questions for those who believe that the Commonwealth needs to improve high-school basketball by having multiple championships.

    How many? Two? Six? A state championship for every 40 or 50 schools, just to make little Johnny's relatives happy?

    How to qualify (e.g. "traditional" district and regional tournaments)? If the regional tournaments are problematic for many now based on travel times and distances, how will they be with multiple classes?

    Multiple state tournaments held where and when?

    How to structure regular season?

    The logistics can obviously be worked out; after all, nearly every other state classifies hoops. But then again, nearly every other state is wrong.

    Classification probably does make sense for populous states, but IMHO, we do it right.
    I love it how it is, it is what seperates Basketball from Football in my opinion. Football would be unfair to have 1 championship simply due to the number of athletes needed to compete on the field at one time. Basketball although there are some things I would still love to see changed, overall when you are just going heads up with 5 athletes vs 5 there can be a dominate team due to only having 1 player who is head and shoulders above the rest. Doesn't matter if that player is from a small school or a big school. I love how it is now and should never change. If changes were to be made it would be in the rules, not the classification.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    16,070

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    Questions for those who believe that the Commonwealth needs to improve high-school basketball by having multiple championships.

    How many? Two? Six? A state championship for every 40 or 50 schools, just to make little Johnny's relatives happy?

    How to qualify (e.g. "traditional" district and regional tournaments)? If the regional tournaments are problematic for many now based on travel times and distances, how will they be with multiple classes?

    Multiple state tournaments held where and when?

    How to structure regular season?

    The logistics can obviously be worked out; after all, nearly every other state classifies hoops. But then again, nearly every other state is wrong.

    Classification probably does make sense for populous states, but IMHO, we do it right.
    If you were to do it, no more than 3.

Top