2016 Freshman Basketball Tournament at Cov Cath

Page 15 of Originally Posted by camelman Will he also suit up for the Pacers in their game this weekend? No, the Knicks. I guess you didn't hear .... The Jefferso... 220 comments | 39951 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #211

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Posts
    526

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Mitchell View Post
    Actually this year there were 18 teams, so two "play in" games, so both Holy Cross and Covington Catholic both wound up playing 5 games. And it turns out I was off on Ty Houston's total, he actually scored 80 in the tournament. I have been told there are no archived records, but in thinking back over the past 40 years or so I can't recall a pair of teammates who would have both scored over 80 points, for many reasons, including the fact that a lot of big scorers (Hatton, Draud, etc) never played freshman basketball and did not play in this tournament.
    Hard to quantify anything that isn't varsity. Just think of the kids this year that did not participate in the freshman tourney.... Jefferson and Beiger from BW... also, Thelen and Davin from CCH. I'm sure at most schools, especially the smaller ones, the best freshmen have to play up. This is more common in baseball and less common in football.
    Advertisement

  2. #212
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    24,522

    Quote Originally Posted by Cord of Wood View Post
    Hard to quantify anything that isn't varsity. Just think of the kids this year that did not participate in the freshman tourney.... Jefferson and Beiger from BW... also, Thelen and Davin from CCH. I'm sure at most schools, especially the smaller ones, the best freshmen have to play up. This is more common in baseball and less common in football.
    Wouldve been interesting to see if HC couldve gotten past Beechwood with Jefferson, I know they beat em earlier in the season but still wouldve been a better measuring stick.

    Nice to see CovCath stick to their guns and not bring down Freshman Davin and Thelen for the Tournament just so they could have a better chance at winning. At the end of the day its a great Championship in the moment. Not many people remember who won it though 3-4 yrs down the road. Varsity Regional Tournaments are what I tend to remember and even that is sketchy.

  3. #213

    Join Date
    Feb 15
    Posts
    212

    Jefferson did play in some of the games, just not their final game. Also, wo is Beiger? Not familiar with that name.

  4. #214

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    15,356

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    Wouldve been interesting to see if HC couldve gotten past Beechwood with Jefferson, I know they beat em earlier in the season but still wouldve been a better measuring stick.

    Nice to see CovCath stick to their guns and not bring down Freshman Davin and Thelen for the Tournament just so they could have a better chance at winning. At the end of the day its a great Championship in the moment. Not many people remember who won it though 3-4 yrs down the road. Varsity Regional Tournaments are what I tend to remember and even that is sketchy.
    CovCath has the winning thing down at the Varsity level. I could see why coaches that know that they have a special group would bring some of those kids down to kind of gain traction in a tournament atmosphere. Never know when winning a title of any kind can spark serious confidence in a group.

  5. #215

    Join Date
    Dec 15
    Posts
    547

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    Wouldve been interesting to see if HC couldve gotten past Beechwood with Jefferson, I know they beat em earlier in the season but still wouldve been a better measuring stick.

    Nice to see CovCath stick to their guns and not bring down Freshman Davin and Thelen for the Tournament just so they could have a better chance at winning. At the end of the day its a great Championship in the moment. Not many people remember who won it though 3-4 yrs down the road. Varsity Regional Tournaments are what I tend to remember and even that is sketchy.
    Holy Cross squeaked past Beechwood twice, once without Jefferson and Draud, and once with Jefferson and Draud.

  6. #216

    Join Date
    Dec 15
    Posts
    547

    Quote Originally Posted by HandsandFeet View Post
    Jefferson did play in some of the games, just not their final game. Also, wo is Beiger? Not familiar with that name.
    Beiger is an eighth grader that started out the year playing freshman ball (played in a scrimmage against Holy Cross) but played exclusively JV and varsity after that.

  7. #217

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Posts
    526

    Quote Originally Posted by HandsandFeet View Post
    Jefferson did play in some of the games, just not their final game. Also, wo is Beiger? Not familiar with that name.
    Aiden Beiger is also an 8th grader that has been playing jv/varsity all year. Did not play middle or freshmen all year.

  8. #218
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    14,768

    Quote Originally Posted by Cord of Wood View Post
    Aiden Beiger is also an 8th grader that has been playing jv/varsity all year. Did not play middle or freshmen all year.
    Is that Donny Bieger's kid?

  9. #219

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Posts
    526

    Not sure, but I think that was asked prior and if I remember correctly someone answer that it was. Good athlete. Shame he gave up football this past year.

  10. #220

    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Posts
    634

    Quote Originally Posted by MentschTrachtGottLacht View Post
    Is that Donny Bieger's kid?
    Yes

  11. #221

    Join Date
    Dec 15
    Posts
    547

    Current senior class when they were freshmen. Always interesting to see how things played out.

Top